Baseboard Heater Automation with ELK M1 Gold - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home Automation > Baseboard Heater Automation with ELK M1 Gold

Home Automation

gasbie's Avatar gasbie
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 5
11-29-2011 | Posts: 98
Guys, I really need help. my walls are open right now so i want to make all necessary wire run before closing it up. I have installed 8 baseboard heaters in 8 different zones in my house. Each heater has its own circuit breaker at the panel and I ran a high voltage wire from the heaters to each digital thermostat. But what i want to do is to be able to control my heater thru my elk m1 gold from outside. For example, I want to be able to turn on my heater 30 minutes before I get home. can someone recommend how I can accomplish this. Please, list the parts that I need. Please I need to do this asap before closing the walls. thanks
knowinnothin's Avatar knowinnothin
10:29 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 5
11-29-2011 | Posts: 88
You need to find a thermostat that is compatible with elk that is for line voltage, then wire from thermostat location to elk panel with whatever cabling that thermostat requires for control.

I have 12 zones of baseboard heat in my house, each room has a temperature sensor in it that is wired back to my Hai system. The heaters are wired back to a relay panel that is controlled by my Hai system with low and high voltage relays. If I were to do it again I would have just used controllable thermostats in each room for simplicity.
gasbie's Avatar gasbie
06:21 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 5
11-30-2011 | Posts: 98
knowinnothin, thanks for the quick response. I found some AUBE thermostat that has floor sensor and remote connection. http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/300607b.pdf
will this work. 2 wires from the thermostat remote contact to my elk-m1 gold
Neurorad's Avatar Neurorad
06:54 AM Liked: 86
post #4 of 5
11-30-2011 | Posts: 5,118
Pretty sure that Aube is for radiant heated floors, I have 2 (rebranded as NuHeat). Not sure if a floor temp probe would be appropriate, but I think it can sense ambient as well.

I would get the heater manual, read it closely, and then call Aube Tech Support. Aube makes many different thermostats, and at least 1 would work. But 8 would be pricey.

IIRC, I couldn't find many details on my NuHeat/Aube thermostats, in terms of contact functionality. Maybe Aube can provide more details on that.

Also, any bathroom/kitchen/basement heaters will probably need to be on GFCI breakers - although I think some thermostats provide that functionality, eliminating the need for a GFCI breaker.

I would suggest posting in the Elk Cocoontech subforum - but I see you've already done that.
knowinnothin's Avatar knowinnothin
08:54 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 5
11-30-2011 | Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbie View Post

knowinnothin, thanks for the quick response. I found some AUBE thermostat that has floor sensor and remote connection. http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/300607b.pdf
will this work. 2 wires from the thermostat remote contact to my elk-m1 gold

That thermostat looks correct, double check with aube that it is fine to use with baseboards. Also check to see what's needed to trigger the aube through the 2 wire interface, does it want 12 volts? 2 wires from thermostat to elk is correct, make sure you use in-wall rated cable.

As far as gfci's go, check your local electrical codes, where I'm located gfci's are needed when within 3 feet of a water outlet.
Reply Home Automation

Subscribe to this Thread