Programming question,Pro2 DIO / Relays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I just completed "Intro to Crestron" and am signed up for "essentials" in January. In the mean time, I am trying to learn all I can in SystemBuilder before I move to Simpl windows. I need some help with the following:

1. Assign a relay ON command to a button in SystemBuilder
2. Read a DIO port in SystemBuilder
3. Send a string to a com port in SystemBuilder.

If these were covered in class, then I missed them. I just need a really basic walkthru and I can take it from there. I have hunted all over the application and can not access these functions. When I click on Pro2 in the programming modes, all the dialogs tell me that "the selected device does not have any commands".
Any help is appreciated so thanks in advance.

JP
Crestron Pro2
Crestron Adagio AES
Crestron Lutron Interface
Sunfire Theater Grand x2
Jandy Aqualink RS w/Serial interface
Honeywell HS322 HVAC controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Do yourself a favor and ditch system builder it's a bulky program and doesn't offer the same type of flexibility as simple.

EDIT: also what you are trying to do is 100x easier in simple. It's as simple as creating a new project, drop in your control system, switch to the programming view click the logic folder and type "sio" tie rx$/tx$ to the com port and your done... you can put in some generic commands to the parameters if you like but you didn't give too many details about what you need to do.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I intend to dump SB as soon as I am trained in Simpl.

As far as what I am trying to do, I am automating my new house/pool/ac. The requests I made are not tied to a specific task but rather intended as a lesson so I can proceed to the non AV parts of my project which will require extensive serial and digital i/o. I have completed al the A/V and lighting with SystemBuilder (as a learning experience) and it would be zaney of me to start over!!

As a former architect for the world's largest software provider, I believe I understand the uselessness of high level, bloated code generating applications.

Thanks again,

JP
Crestron Pro2
Crestron Adagio AES
Crestron Lutron Interface
Sunfire Theater Grand x2
Jandy Aqualink RS w/Serial interface
Honeywell HS322 HVAC controller
post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Hopefully future automated programming software will work better than automated programming software. But in 5 minutes you can program a full system for an Adagio control system or an Apad interface... try doing that in SIMPL

Systembuild has its value, limited once you learn Simpl well, but its worth knowing the basics...
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by total control View Post

Hopefully future automated programming software will work better than automated programming software. But in 5 minutes you can program a full system for an Adagio control system or an Apad interface... try doing that in SIMPL

Systembuild has its value, limited once you learn Simpl well, but its worth knowing the basics...

not to start a flame war because I partially agree with you and there is no benefit to it, not to mention its not my intent.. but, depending on what type of system you're talking about you could be right. I also can put together a large system of certain design faster in simpl then you can in system builder using my "base code"

An APAD would be a hiccup but I pretty much refuse to sell, buy or work with an APAD. But you've got dead to rights there. I can not stand that interface. Another personal preference. Are they still selling those? I thought the adagio line was discontinued? Haven't paid any attention.

But I can also show you a system that I can program in simpl waayyyy faster then you could in adagio. as for what he was asking you would have to agree that it's crazy easier in simpl.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #6 of 8 Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I have always avoided System Builder. What OP wants was the first thing I did when I was trying to learn Crestron programming with SMPL Windows. I got it working including touchscreen interface with no difficulty at all. It was trivial to get working. I highly encourage you to try to do that in SMPL Windows. It is a good aptitude test to see how far you can get in this field .

And oh, programming Crestron has very little to do with real programming .

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM

System Builder lets u do things without really understanding what u r doing. In some cases it is like hammering in a nail with a 2ton anvil--simpl allows direct hammer to nail contact so to speak.
when I have used system builder I have found it very cumbersome-it can get the job done, but not a huge fan
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
there is always Crestron Simpl++ that get you more involved into real programming than Simpl. And agree System Builder is to be avoided at all costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

I have always avoided System Builder. What OP wants was the first thing I did when I was trying to learn Crestron programming with SMPL Windows. I got it working including touchscreen interface with no difficulty at all. It was trivial to get working. I highly encourage you to try to do that in SMPL Windows. It is a good aptitude test to see how far you can get in this field .

And oh, programming Crestron has very little to do with real programming .

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page