Lutron Software for RadioRa - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if someone knows where I could borrow a copy of the Lutron software for programming a RadioRa system. My local guys want $500 to come out and program the system. For that kind of money I could go to Lutron's B.L.A.S.T. training seminar and get my own copy.

Being a geek, this is kind of thing that I'd prefer to do myself. I also asked them about leaving a copy of the software as is allowed in the End User Licensing Agreement and the answer I got was, "Absolutely Not."

Alternatively, if you know someone in the Triad area of North Carolina with more reasonable rates, I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
If you can go to training for $500 what are you waiting for?
post #3 of 20 Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

If you can go to training for $500 what are you waiting for?

Lutron doesn't have any scheduled for at least 3 months. Theater construction will be finished in 2 weeks. :-)
post #4 of 20 Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Call Lutron, ask about online training options.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 20 Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGenX View Post

Just curious if someone knows where I could borrow a copy of the Lutron software for programming a RadioRa system. My local guys want $500 to come out and program the system. For that kind of money I could go to Lutron's B.L.A.S.T. training seminar and get my own copy.

Being a geek, this is kind of thing that I'd prefer to do myself. I also asked them about leaving a copy of the software as is allowed in the End User Licensing Agreement and the answer I got was, "Absolutely Not."

Alternatively, if you know someone in the Triad area of North Carolina with more reasonable rates, I'm all ears.

Not to be a stooge, but if they gave rights to every end user it cheapens the line. And they wouldn't have good dealers installing the line. Even with blast you only get limited programming. Only 100 devices. We have to install a couple qualified homes then apply to become psp dealers. So goes the old adage, you pay to play. Lutron is oldest solid state lighting co in the world. They have things pretty well right. Over the counter diy is why this industry is in the shape its in. Much the same as how a dr will be if they all make beans on government pay. I say this with risk of being ousted on here, but as a dealer of 14 years in this industry, I have seen this day coming. You get what you pay for, for both equipment and service. What will end up is a large gap between who has what. Most items will be cheap and wont last but you'll buy and install yourself and be happy. Then people who can afford it, will hire the few dealers still around and buy the good stuff that's a lot higher than before. And there will be no middle ground. I hope im wrong, but doubt it.

Ask your dealer if he has a service or program plan. Maybe join and use him more for changes here and there and prob extend the $500 out over a year or two and get all the changes you want. He may do that just to keep a guy busy some. You never know if you don't ask.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

We'll have to agree to disagree. You say it cheapens the line, I say it diminishes the value. And the guy wants $500 per trip. If have the programming done and decide the next day that I want scene 2 to be 10% brighter on one switch, the that's another $500. I don't think the programming is for everyone, but there should at least be an option...

You know I'd even be happy with a dumbed down version. Make me pay the initial programming and setup fee, but give me some way to edit my controls/scenes through the iPad app.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM

I am not so sure its a bad idea to give the home owner a copy of his woking file, if he/she only wants to make minor changes.
If you explain all of the pitfalls, possibility of corrupting the file, making a change that is wrong and he then can't figure out what to do next, making a change that changes other programming, etc., and the home owner still wants to do this, the only harm is his/her calling you back to get paid to fix it.
We do have a few clients that think its fun to do, and do it well. We do have a couple that keep us busy correcting their changes.
It brings good will and some new project referrals.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Not all installers will charge $500 per trip. Look for others that want your business more. There are high end installers, that should be spec'ing QS, and more affordable pros that do RA2.

Call around.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 20 Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. You say it cheapens the line, I say it diminishes the value. And the guy wants $500 per trip. If have the programming done and decide the next day that I want scene 2 to be 10% brighter on one switch, the that's another $500. I don't think the programming is for everyone, but there should at least be an option...

You know I'd even be happy with a dumbed down version. Make me pay the initial programming and setup fee, but give me some way to edit my controls/scenes through the iPad app.

Pretty simple answer to your scenario, get the iPad app for $19.95. Then you can make any level control you want in real time. I recommend it to all my clients. Even tho I lose program time, once I set it up they can adjust levels instantly. That's lutrons answer to end user adjustments. I do not charge anywhere near $500 to roll a truck out to make adjustments like that. To install dimmers and add them maybe. Sounds like you need a more reasonable dealer, or take $520 and buy an iPad and the app. Then change at will. It's a very very nice app. Light levels, schedules, favorites etc. But give ANY end user the installer software, never. That's same as a lawyer being able to give someone a law license who can argue well. That cheapens the law field. I suppose I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. But to solve your issue, if it's just changing levels and schedules, buy the app.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxbrod View Post

Pretty simple answer to your scenario, get the iPad app for $19.95. Then you can make any level control you want in real time. I recommend it to all my clients. Even tho I lose program time, once I set it up they can adjust levels instantly. That's lutrons answer to end user adjustments. I do not charge anywhere near $500 to roll a truck out to make adjustments like that. To install dimmers and add them maybe. Sounds like you need a more reasonable dealer, or take $520 and buy an iPad and the app. Then change at will. It's a very very nice app. Light levels, schedules, favorites etc. But give ANY end user the installer software, never. That's same as a lawyer being able to give someone a law license who can argue well. That cheapens the law field. I suppose I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. But to solve your issue, if it's just changing levels and schedules, buy the app.

If you get the iPad app do you still need the system to be PC programmed? Or can you program with the main repeater and just use the app?
post #11 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

If you get the iPad app do you still need the system to be PC programmed? Or can you program with the main repeater and just use the app?

It needs to be set up. The devices need to be named and all of it activated. But you can add, remove, and change levels of scenes, change scheduling, and have full control. You can also arrange favorites on your screen. Most end users want to add devices to scenes ( or remove) and change schedules and levels. This does all of it. The only thing you can't do really is add devices. Then there is always the walk around set up if you want to DIY. The instructions for that are readily avail.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

The main thing with app is the main repeater needs to be set up on your network properly. This is done thru the software.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The main thing with app is the main repeater needs to be set up on your network properly. This is done thru the software.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the app can't change the scenes programmed into the controls at my entrance? Again, that's the biggest failing in my mind. If I have to pay someone a fee to make a slight tweak then the system loses value. It's like buying a car where you're not allowed to do any of your own service.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the app can't change the scenes programmed into the controls at my entrance? Again, that's the biggest failing in my mind. If I have to pay someone a fee to make a slight tweak then the system loses value. It's like buying a car where you're not allowed to do any of your own service.

You can change scenes, but you can't add a scene to a keypad device that isn't there. And its like buying a porsche or Ferrari. You use them, but as you say, can't work on the motor. If you wanna work on the motor, buy a GM. I have only 1 guy who works on my "play car", and I have to haul it 600 miles to Dallas TX to do it. That in no way diminishes the value of it. That's the cost of me having it, but I digress.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Im guessing you did the walk around set up? You mentioned scene 2, usually dealers do not label scenes as the default scene 1,2,etc. You mentioned having an ipad and the app also. Im guessing you can't connect either. Did you buy the system from the dealer you said wanted $500? Im starting to see why they came up with that price. Your better off paying a dealer to set up with software correctly. Then you can handle the changes you want from there with the app.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Im guessing you did the walk around set up? You mentioned scene 2, usually dealers do not label scenes as the default scene 1,2,etc. You mentioned having an ipad and the app also. Im guessing you can't connect either. Did you buy the system from the dealer you said wanted $500? Im starting to see why they came up with that price. Your better off paying a dealer to set up with software correctly. Then you can handle the changes you want from there with the app.

Well here's a question then. If you have a scene labeled Party and you decide that it needed to include the light in the hallway approaching the kitchen/family room, can you simply add that load into the scene with the app? For arguments sake, let's say that hall light never had a Ra2 dimmer or switch in it and now you need one and you want to include into that said scene. Can you do that with the app after purchasing the switch/dimmer?
post #17 of 20 Old 12-26-2011, 07:10 AM

You can add it to the scene if it wasn't in the scene previously. But you can't add something that doesn't exist. Like I said, it will not take the place the setup software. But like the op arguement about spending $500 everytime he wants a level changed. Then buy the app. Lutron ra2 is designed to be the top line retro system, and to be properly installed by dealers whom are certified to do so. They try to "appease" DIY by letting them get product and walk test set up. But that's it, that's the extent. It will stay that way also, As it should. You cannot program new devices in via the app.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
This programming issue was the main reason I went Insteon over Radio RA

Just my $.02
RayJr
post #19 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM

If its just your HT room and its basic you can set it up without the program just like the old ra but that will not give you the ability to use the ios app

post #20 of 20 Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a question. Did you buy the Lutron from the local guy? Or did you buy it online somewhere?

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page