Large flatscreens with IP control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not having to much luck finding the latest models with serial control. Even if they have it, looking at specs they don't list it. I don't see any spacifically listing IP control either. Most DO say they have internet capability so they are on your LAN. Any suggestions for automation friendly flatscreens?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I believe some do have IP control (see Sharp example here http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...C52LE835U.aspx). The problem you have is that when they are off, they will not accept IP commands. So you can't turn them back on that way. Does that still fit your requirement?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
As of a year ago, the larger LG displays still all had 232 control, per LG TS.

A search of the Yahoo group and RC may be more revealing for specific rec's.

I'm currently in the market for a ~46" myself, so I'm very interested in what you discover.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
amirm: Sharp TV's turn on with an IP command. Volume control is hard, because only discrete values IP commands...
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

stefuel, any progress?

I'm still researching myself.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I have read that a command needs to be sent while the display is running/active, before turning the display off, in order for IP control of pwr on. At least for one manufacturer.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I have read that a command needs to be sent while the display is running/active, before turning the display off, in order for IP control of pwr on. At least for one manufacturer.

In case of Sharp above, you have to put it in a special mode to respond to On commands. My sense is that it then keeps the entire processor alive, running a full operating system so that it can receive TCP/IP commands. In that sense, it is not really off anymore but in a low-power mode.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5 View Post

amirm: Sharp TV's turn on with an IP command. Volume control is hard, because only discrete values IP commands...

with the Sharp Elite, they included RS232 commands in the manual for each button on the remote, so there is a workaround for volume up/down [IP and serial commands are the same]

non Elite models are a pain for volume: many of us just end up using IR for volume

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought an LG. Headphone output on the model I bought has variable out, so I can share speakers with the distributed audio system. LG has a rebate currently, saved a bundle. Bought at Costco. Picture is good, nothing special. It's for the workshop.

I haven't tried IP control yet, but am eager.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LG is about the only manufacturer that consistently puts RS-232 control into their units, but even then they don't do it for every unit. If you are looking at one in the store, flip around to the back and look for an RS-232 serial input. If there is one, you want to make sure it is labeled "Service and Control" - if it only says "Service" it won't work. If you are looking on-line then you can check the specs for "RS-232 Control".

LG also makes some other brand panels like Sharp and Zenith, so you can find RS-232 control on some of their models too (but not as many).

I realize this isn't the same as IP control, but there are a lot more panels that have RS-232 control and if you really need IP control you can always get a serial to IP converter box.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page