Crestron with iPad-upgrading iPad - AVS Forum
Home Automation > Crestron with iPad-upgrading iPad
srftex's Avatar srftex 04:37 AM 01-18-2012
I'm looking for a quick answer for a client of mine. He has a Crestron system in his home that has been programmed for use with his iPad. He wants to upgrade his iPad to one with more memory. Is it necessary to make changes on the controller for his new iPad or will the app sync and download the existing configuration file once he re-downloads the Crestron app to the new iPad?

I'm not a Crestron dealer but I am familiar with how RTI deals with iPhone and iPad apps and need to advise him on what the iPad upgrade will entail.

Any input is much appreciated.

total control's Avatar total control 03:50 AM 01-20-2012
All you need is the app on the new ipad and the login info, the project is loaded from the server, no programmatic changes needed.
fuzzy bee's Avatar fuzzy bee 09:20 AM 01-20-2012
...unless you've loaded the project directly to the iPad.
total control's Avatar total control 01:50 PM 01-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy bee View Post

...unless you've loaded the project directly to the iPad.

Yes I should have stated this is possible, only i don't know a good reason that one would want to do it like this.
One reason is that your project was very large and better off on the panel.
Or another reason is that whom ever sets it up this way wants to have a call back when the customer wants to replace their ipad...
fuzzy bee's Avatar fuzzy bee 07:34 PM 01-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by total control View Post

Yes I should have stated this is possible, only i don't know a good reason that one would want to do it like this.
One reason is that your project was very large and better off on the panel.
Or another reason is that whom ever sets it up this way wants to have a call back when the customer wants to replace their ipad...

Considering you state a "good reason"...

Typically, most customers aren't going to be able to set up the definition for the control system, anyway.
39CentStamp's Avatar 39CentStamp 01:02 AM 01-21-2012
We have loaded to the iPad at one project. Seemed to solve some lag issues. iPad responded a little smoother there.

Whatever the case may be... its not a big deal. If your program is stored on the processor then you just need to sync the app and "login" (processor ip, port, passcode). If the program was stored on the iPad... call up the crestron dealer. It takes seconds to load the new iPad and it can probably be done while you are on the phone with them.
Up
Mobile  Desktop