Best Control for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm getting ready for a new house, so I have the opportunity to get everything in-wall now. Its nothing fancy, but i want to have more control with what ive got. Based on the specs below, maybe all the installers etc, can give me their sales pitch/recommendations. To date, the local peeps havent designed what i think justifies their price tags. More details below.

MEDIA ROOM: Rack with all components...the usual stuff, xbox, bluray, tv, directv tuners etc.

LIVING: TV, TUNER

BEDROOM: TV, TUNER

As of right now, all of my equipment is controllable either with RS232 or ethernet or both. (except xbox) I want to keep it that way. IR and IR blasters are discouraged.

I'm looking for something that can be intuitively used to control this. Ipads are great. Something more dedicated would also be considered.

Now cost is a factor, and at some point, i would like to integrate some simple lighting control.

I would even consider more type DIY projects, as I have designed pcs that use serial control. The problem in the past is that my GUI/remote skills are seriously lacking. i want something that looks pretty to the end user/guests/WAF.

Ideas, comments, recommendations? please and thank you.
LW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If you prewire correctly, you'll be covered for any choice of hardware.

I haven't tried the DirecTV multiroom device (MRV), but that may save you from distributed video ($$$). However, you may want to wire for distributed video, anyway.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

I've used the MRV. Its ok.

Just to give you an idea of where Im at, a MAJOR automation brand installer in my city, when asked about using serial and ethernet exclusively, told me, "oh, I dont know about that. I like to use IR blasters, they are very responsive and easy to setup." ...five seconds after i told him I wasnt interested in anything IR. I cant fathom how they would stay in business when the customer knows more than the installer.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If you go to remote central.com CI Lounge forum, you'll still see many of the pro installers using IR, for many applications. If there are discrete codes for everything, it's fairly robust. The line of site IR issue (components in a cabinet), the most problematic aspect of IR, is solved by RF to IR converters.

At least that's my impression.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

I would never use an IR blaster but there is no reason you cant use IR to control your XBOX (for example) or anything else. IR with discrete commands is a solid solution when implemented properly. Obviously its nice to have 2way control via RS-232 or IP but i wouldnt let it be a deal breaker. I have 8 zone homes with 90% of the devices being controlled via IR.

iPads can/should be dedicated when being used as a control device. You dont HAVE to just have just one and subsequently consider it to be "less dedicated". If you like iPads just get one for each zone and enjoy their awesomeness . The only major issue with them typically is that not every one appreciates a touchpanel when they just want to press channel up... channel up... channel up .

As far as GUI goes... many of the products on the market have a built in GUI or give you the ability to build one from scratch. There are tons of free "iOS" graphics http://www.macstories.net/links/free...ios-designers/ and icons available online that you can use for layout. Bunch of free icons listed here... http://guijaboard.com/free-stuff/tho...-of-free-icons .

Whats the budget? Or how much DIY can you handle? If this stuff interests you and you want to build your own GUI then grab some freebies, check out the GUI sites on the net and borrow layout ideas. On the right in the guijaboard (my site) link you will see a list of GUI sites under "GUI Professionals".

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
^^Agree that there's nothing wrong with IR control. But since the OP wants Serial or IP control, here's something to consider:

iRule and GlobalCache control devices. Search the forum and you'll find plenty of info. Haven't used 'em, but know someone who does and it's been a solid solution for him. Gives you a pretty iDevice interface, and allows you to control over Serial or IP.

I wouldn't use an iPad as my sole control, because of the very reason Stamp points out - I don't want to hit channel up. . .channel up. . .channel up on a touchscreen when I can hold down the hard button on my remote. Personal preference, but I think many folks are really over-thinking best uses of iPads in control/automation. It's good for changing sources, adjusting lighting, thermostats, etc. For basic volume/channel/dvr control, a stick remote is hands down best - it's a good idea to have a mix of controllers available.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
get an Ipad, cp2e or Pro2, and you are all set. You can custom program your Touchpanel to do anything, keep blasting IR code constantly or one at a time with every push of a button. All remotes in 1 in a nice slick package.

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page