Vaction home: What to use to monitor temp, cameras, water, etc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Have a place up north in Michigan that we use infrequently. However, northern Michigan is very cold in the winter.

I would like to monitor the house for:
1. water damage (it sits on a crawl) in case a pipe breaks, etc
2. Temperature. Alerts if temp falls and control thermostat remotely to fire it up to room temperature a day before we arrive
3. Cameras to monitor some areas of the property.
4. I have a First Alert alarm system in the house. Apparently, I can monitor this.

Is there an all in one system, or, if not, what brand of equipment would you recommend?

Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There is no one fits all system. There are multiple systems, that you can layer, using various modules. Keep in mind, that you would have to have some form of backup system in place, in case the ISP goes down, so that you are able to keep in touch with it.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
This is the info I am looking for. If the ISP goes down, how could you possibly monitor things?

Where would I start, say for instance, an IP controlled thermostat?

I know if the alarm is set off, it can call me.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked: 32
Backup would be either telephone or cellular. There are whole house monitored systems out there, or you could roll your own, and just monitor through sensors at the home, that would update you.

Costs are more for the long term, on the systems that you would put together on your own, vs going with a package, that would be monitored by a company.

I use Our home spaces, for my ted5000 & 3m thermostat, with their radio in the thermostat. Their software for on the go, on works with the iPhone, but you can access through a web browser.

Ecobee thermostats allow for modules to be added, so do prophilex thermostats. Smarthome.com has pretty much every monitoring gadget on their website.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ITwatchdogs.com
post #6 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
You can take a look at DMP integrated with z-wave. You can find a few stores online that sell parts (dealer only) http://www.dmp.com/z-wave . Control your security (doors, low temp, fire) and z-wave (thermostat / lights)
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have an HAI Omnipro II security system in our house, and it can pretty much do evreything that you ask above. Security, thermostat, indoor/outdor temp, alarm, water, etc can all be monitored and controlled. There are several slick ipad/iphone apps that can communicate with the panel. The one I use also can integrate IP cameras, etc. H@me is the iphone plugin that I use, but there are others. As note above you could install on your own...not hard to do, or you could hire a pro.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
AN Elk or HAI automation panel can handle everything you have asked for. I might separate the CCTV functions from the panel however. With all the IP options available now, you'll have a better selection of equipment if you don't try to tie it into the automation panel (and there is no good reason to do that anyway).

But alarm sensors, temp sensors and water sensors are all pretty basic things to do.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
MiCasaVerde Vera can do all of that. It integrates IP cameras, they have plug-ins for alarm integration (DSC, GE, Paradox, Elk, it may require some development for the First Alert Brand). There are Z-Wave flood sensors that will shut off a Z-Wave water supply valve automatically. And of course, thermostat controls are no problem either. They offer free secure remote access and you can put Vera on a battery backup for added reliability (some put Vera on a simple lighting timer so it reboots everynight at 3am, if there was ever a problem it should be accessible the next day after reboot). Any system given the chance to fail probably will once or twice so make sure you have someone in the area that can go to the location in a pinch.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page