Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for recomendations for a smart thermostat. Ideally, I would like

* Ability to program a daily schedule
* Wifi/Internet accessible (incl. android app) so I can control the thermostat remotely.
* Reporting (energy use, time on/off, etc.)

Really I'm mostly interested in the remote control capability more than anything else as my schedule frequently changes (including many impromptu business trips, etc.) and a normal programmable thermostat just doesn't really cut it.

The only thermostat I've found like that is the Ecobee, and I'm looking for alternatives to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedy View Post

Looking for recomendations for a smart thermostat. Ideally, I would like

* Ability to program a daily schedule
* Wifi/Internet accessible (incl. android app) so I can control the thermostat remotely.
* Reporting (energy use, time on/off, etc.)

Really I'm mostly interested in the remote control capability more than anything else as my schedule frequently changes (including many impromptu business trips, etc.) and a normal programmable thermostat just doesn't really cut it.

The only thermostat I've found like that is the Ecobee, and I'm looking for alternatives to compare.

Proliphix would be another option.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 32
Radio Thermostat Company of america, with one of their branded from 3m, etc. Otherwise, there is the Our Home Spaces radio for the RTCOA, but only has a iPhone app for that radio. Android app's are coming about, but for most items, they just need to be written.

For the radio that comes with the rtcoa thermostat, a lot of people have been rolling their own application, since they put out the information needed to be able to do that. There has been some mixed feelings on that particular thermostat though from a wide range of people.

Prophilix is a good one, ecobee is also, but to get the remote sensors for that one, you have to have a licensed installer get it. There is also the IAQ from Honeywell.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM

also look at the Nest

www.nest.com
post #5 of 13 Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glackowitz View Post

also look at the Nest

www.nest.com

The nest is not capable of being used on home automation. It can only be controlled from the web portal or iphone app. Plus it is a over rated appliance, that there are better ones out there.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

The nest is not capable of being used on home automation. It can only be controlled from the web portal or iphone app.

Of course it can be used with automation systems...why do you post this stuff?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

The nest is not capable of being used on home automation. It can only be controlled from the web portal or iphone app. Plus it is a over rated appliance, that there are better ones out there.

I didn't see him make mention of it needing to be part of a home automation setup (I know initially they could not be integrated with HA systems but they were working on protocol/firmware update for that) but in any event calling it over-rated is pretty slanderous lol.

I like the product a lot. If I cared enough to spend the money on doing this with any thermostat I would definitely choose nest. Only problem?!? They're so popular they're on back order.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #8 of 13 Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Of course it can be used with automation systems...why do you post this stuff?

Why do you say it can? Initially, Nest replied to inquiries that it could only be controlled through it's portal or through an iDevice app, not through any 3rd party automation system because they do (did?) not make their API accessible. Has that changed? Because there are a LOT of people who would love to know that, and so far, it hasn't been announced that I'm aware of. If you have proof that the API is now open and that automation systems like Crestron, Elan, C4, etc. can communicate with the thermostat, please provide that.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Not everybody needs an API to figure out how to access the data.
Here's a start though:
https://github.com/wiredprairie/Nest...tat-DotNET-API
post #10 of 13 Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Not everybody needs an API to figure out how to access the data.
Here's a start though:
https://github.com/wiredprairie/Nest...tat-DotNET-API

That will be interesting to follow. Thanks for the link. However, it appears to be only one-way - sending data FROM the Nest (I'm assuming that's what he meant by "read-only"), so it still looks like there's no easy, definitive way to control the thermostat outside of their app/website. I'll have to read more of this when I'm not slammed at the office, as I could have missed something scanning it quickly.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM

post #12 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Check out RCS, simple. http://www.rcstechnology.com/oldsite/index.htm around $200, connects to most of what you'd want for HA.
Also, Insteon has one, if you go that way a one day and a seven day, on sale for about $ 150 now.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Radio Thermostat Company of america, with one of their branded from 3m, etc.

Quote:

+1 for this low cost unit
I have the Filtrete 3M-50 thermostat..

It has both iOS and Android apps, but also works from my Playbook (and sort of via the BB, but not well).

I read it has a documented API, but never looked into it (no need yet). The web interface can be accessed through radiothermostat's 'cloud' service.. (i.e. it can reach out to their cloud service, and you can interface with it from there -- it does not need to be directly connected to from the 'outside' internet through your home network/firewall/etc)

The schedule is customizable on a per-day basis (all 7 days).. 'away' mode, and two seasons (heating/cooling) so you don't have to reprogram between the heating and A/C..

The only thing I could ask for would be a built in humidistat..

The webinterface (at http://my.radiothermostat.com) does not offer reporting, but if there is an accessible API, I imagine it's possible... A quick google search reveals the API description here:

http://central.isaroach.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Actually, a quick look at the api.. I think I can get what I want out of it via my BB too now, sans all the pretty graphics.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page