Needing Cost Estimate for HA System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are getting ready to build a house and I am needing an estimate for a Home Automation system.

Now, this is a different request than you will normally read about here. I am looking for an estimate so I can place a value on a DIY system for house valuation and insurance purposes. The system has 95% of the software completed and a representative number of hardware components installed and tested.

I'm not wanting something for free. I am willing to pay for this estimate since this will be something that you, the professional installer, will not get a chance to build.

I have pages of specifications written and a spreadsheet developed.

Is there anybody here interested in this offer?

Thanks,
Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I sent you a PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've sent you a PM in return.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

This system is likely a bit more complex than the typical DIY system. I will add a couple of the more unusual parts of this system in the hope of sparking some interest.

1. I use automobile mounted RFID tags to queue several different events. If the outside solar radiation is above a certain amount I open the blinds. If the outside temperature is above a certain level I activate any or all of the ceiling fans. Ceiling fan speed is based on three different choices (fixed speed for all fans, individual speed for any choice of fan, or a mathematically derived speed for fans based on outside temperature and user selectable upper and lower fan speeds). If the solar radiation is below a certain value, any scene can be activated. An RFID tag can open any one (or more) of five garage doors. Up to five RFID tags can be used with different activation choices for each tag.

2. I have 96 zones of irrigation. My wife is a rosarian and gardener and we will use multiple zones for each flower bed. Each zone can water up to twice each day for any day of the week. Zones can be prevented from watering based on today's and yesterday's rainfall amount (settable for each zone). Each zone has an expected water flow rate and a settable hysteresis value. In the event the zone doesn't water within this tolerance, the system will send an email.

3. There are 228 legs of light control and hundreds of scenes. Only a limited number of these scenes are activated via the UI. Most are used in automatically controlling scenes if the room is occupied (or not) and for use with something I call "Dummy" switches. A "dummy" switch is a Cooper Decora switch that I have modified by adding a spring and turning it into a momentary contact switch. This switch is then fed into a low voltage digital input that will activate a rolling sequence of scenes. A visitor that is totally unfamiliar with the home automation system can walk into the bathroom, push the "dummy" switch and have light. Push the switch a gain and the lights get brighter, push again and even brighter. A fourth push and the lights go off.

4. There are a whole host of other things that I use including cat bed heater, fountain heaters, multiple zone tile heaters, power supply monitoring, soil moisture content, water leak detection, etc, etc.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb1310 View Post

This system is likely a bit more complex than the typical DIY system. I will add a couple of the more unusual parts of this system in the hope of sparking some interest.

1. I use automobile mounted RFID tags to queue several different events. If the outside solar radiation is above a certain amount I open the blinds. If the outside temperature is above a certain level I activate any or all of the ceiling fans. Ceiling fan speed is based on three different choices (fixed speed for all fans, individual speed for any choice of fan, or a mathematically derived speed for fans based on outside temperature and user selectable upper and lower fan speeds). If the solar radiation is below a certain value, any scene can be activated. An RFID tag can open any one (or more) of five garage doors. Up to five RFID tags can be used with different activation choices for each tag.

2. I have 96 zones of irrigation. My wife is a rosarian and gardener and we will use multiple zones for each flower bed. Each zone can water up to twice each day for any day of the week. Zones can be prevented from watering based on today's and yesterday's rainfall amount (settable for each zone). Each zone has an expected water flow rate and a settable hysteresis value. In the event the zone doesn't water within this tolerance, the system will send an email.

3. There are 238 legs of light control and hundreds of scenes. Only a limited number of these scenes are activated via the UI. Most are used in automatically controlling scenes if the room is occupied (or not) and for use with something I call "Dummy" switches. A "dummy" switch is a Cooper Decora switch that I have modified by adding a spring and turning it into a momentary contact switch. This switch is then fed into a low voltage digital input that will activate a rolling sequence of scenes. A visitor that is totally unfamiliar with the home automation system can walk into the bathroom, push the "dummy" switch and have light. Push the switch a gain and the lights get brighter, push again and even brighter. A fourth push and the lights go off.

4. There are a whole host of other things that I use including cat bed heater, fountain heaters, multiple zone tile heaters, power supply monitoring, soil moisture content, water leak detection, etc, etc.

As another "DIY" guy I'm feeling a little less manly after reading this post (assuming of course you aren't exaggerating). Just curious what type of educational background/degrees you have to even contemplate including some of these ideas into your system. Please post these other things which you haven't mentioned, perhaps a separate thread for all of us to read about the kinds of things that are possible in the HA field if you have the skills to get them implemented.

What software are you using to automate this stuff? Something like CQC or are you controlling it with something you developed yourself?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

No, I'm not exaggerating. lol

I use National Instruments LabVIEW to program my system and I use their hardware to run a lot of the system. Although their hardware is typically expensive, I have bought almost all if it off eBay at a huge discount.

I am an electronic engineer by trade.

Some of the other things that I have implemented are ceiling fan control, driveway detection, email notification of events, degenerating all my IR remotes into a single simple remote, nighttime path lights, a proxy (to keep the computer from being directly connected to the Internet), whole house audio control, A/V control, towel rack control, voice recognition, voice synthesis, and XM tuner control.

If you will send me a PM with your email, I will email you the specifications I have written up with screen shots of the operating system.

We should start this house within a year and I am planning on generating a thread detailing my progress. I will install the whole system and will do almost all the electrical wiring installation. (I just don't want to set the meter and wire up the heavy duty stuff like the HVAC, water heaters, ovens, etc.)
post #7 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not exaggerating. lol

I use National Instruments LabVIEW to program my system and I use their hardware to run a lot of the system. Although their hardware is typically expensive, I have bought almost all if it off eBay at a huge discount.

I am an electronic engineer by trade.

Some of the other things that I have implemented are ceiling fan control, driveway detection, email notification of events, degenerating all my IR remotes into a single simple remote, nighttime path lights, a proxy (to keep the computer from being directly connected to the Internet), whole house audio control, A/V control, towel rack control, voice recognition, voice synthesis, and XM tuner control.

If you will send me a PM with your email, I will email you the specifications I have written up with screen shots of the operating system.

We should start this house within a year and I am planning on generating a thread detailing my progress. I will install the whole system and will do almost all the electrical wiring installation. (I just don't want to set the meter and wire up the heavy duty stuff like the HVAC, water heaters, ovens, etc.)

Impressive. I'm a DIY Crestron guy but my system is a lot more basic. I'll look forward to that e-mail. Best of luck with your system.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 18
post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, GoGo, a mighty fine estimate that is!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 326
You have a one-off custom system. No one can give an estimate for that but you. Folks can make up an estimate based on building it out of different hardware but not sure your insurance company will accept it.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #11 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Well, GoGo, a mighty fine estimate that is!!!!

Keep in mind that the estimate does not include programming.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Amrim, you are absolutely right about using different hardware in estimating a system. That why in any instance that I call out hardware it has an "or equal" right after it.

I have learned from losses that I have had in the past that insurance companies are interested in documentation, documentation, documentation. Pictures and receipts are essential in the event of a loss. The estimate that I seek is only one leg of that triangle. In the event of a loss, I would have to supply a whole host of documentation.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

GoGo, that programming stuff is so simple that I doubt it would be worth estimating anyway........
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page