Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys,

This is my first attempt in setting up Home Automation project in my home. Infact, i have been reading a lot, and slowly i have been getting a grasp of this subject. I realize that setting up home automation can range from few hundred dollars to millions.
Currently i am living in a Town Home, and planning to buy a home in 3 yrs or so. In the mean time i'll try to learn most of the intricate parts of a good home automation build and try to implement it in my future home project with the help of a integrator or maybe DIY. But for now, i would like to start with a basic project in my town home.

For now as my first project, i plan to install a Vera 3 for the home controller.
I need your suggestions in identifying the most suitable items for my needs.
1. Would like to have remote lock and unlock option for the door, which can be also controlled through the smartphone, with alerting features, either a kiwkset or Schlage.

2. I have a Filterete 3M-50 Wifi thermostat, would like to add that to Vera 3, how can i make it work with it, or should i get another compatible thermostat?

3. Currently I have Lutron Aurora Lighting dimmers, but they have a propitiatory lutron remote. I would like to change these dimmers to affordable dimmers that can be controlled via vera/smartphone, purpose is to light 6 60w incandescent bulbs.
Will this work with Vera? and do you consider this as an inexpensive but worth it application?
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRI06-...8&sr=1-1-fkmr1

4. Opening, closing the garage doors.. can i use a simple on/off z-wave switch from within inside the garage? Can i use something like this?
http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/Switc...g-White/p.aspx

Will the above work with Vera on Z-wave Technology? Or something similar compatible with Vera?

Lastly i will attach some pics of my current pre-historic door locks at my town home. I am not sure which kind of locks to use if i am using a zwave compatible Kwikset or schalage or if et all anything else.

And those are my current Lutron Aurora dimmers

For now, i would like to add these simple to-do's to the home automation project. Once we get used to it, we will probably plan to get Creston for the future new home. Also, pls keep in mind that we cannot add cat5/6 cables, or new wiring through the dry walls right now.
Would rather prefer to use wifi/Z-wave or anything better as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
160+ views, not even a single response??
I guess my requirements are not so complicated.
I am also looking at Homeseer automation controllers. Not sure if they suffice my needs. I guess micasaverde Vera 3 is specific to Z-Wave, but with HomeSeer i can integrate more technologies.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Liked: 10
I am looking at going the vera route - the homeseer appears to be a more expensive solution, and the vera seems much more amenable to 'hacking'. Honestly I don't think at this time any of the z-wave solutions are incredibly polished unless you go with a professionally installed system etc. Regardless, I have the Trane Z-wave thermostat installed (after pulling new thermostat wire for the C conductor) and the Vera will arrive next week, so I'll report on how well that works. You have to be willing to spend some time monkeying around with this stuff to get it work the way you want. I was also going to look at the Kwikset zwave lock.

Spend a lot of time on the forums for your controller to figure out what works.

For example, apparently your radiothermostat z-wave support is 'sketchy' but someone wrote a Vera plug-in that can get to it over wi-fi: http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_wifi-thermostat

garage door example at homeseer: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372 (note this is a generic z-wave solution, not specific to homeseer)
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page