Can dif systems communicate with each other? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By the content of my question Im sure you all can guess that my knowledge of home automation is minimal at best. My apologies. Im looking at crestron, c4 and savant for my home that is being built soon. Im only aware of a C4 dealer in the area but not quite sold on C4 as a system. Im an apple guy for sure so I like what ive seen from savant. Im reading that crestron is the leader and i particularly like the dvphd that allows multiple imputs to be shown on one screen. However ive also read the crestron can be a little on the $$$ side. Is it possible to have crestron in the basement/ht area and savant or c4 throught the rest of the house and have them communicate with one another??

Or at least be able to distrubute the video sources between two dif systems?

Thanks a ton in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney08 View Post

By the content of my question Im sure you all can guess that my knowledge of home automation is minimal at best. My apologies. Im looking at crestron, c4 and savant for my home that is being built soon. Im only aware of a C4 dealer in the area but not quite sold on C4 as a system. Im an apple guy for sure so I like what ive seen from savant. Im reading that crestron is the leader and i particularly like the dvphd that allows multiple imputs to be shown on one screen. However ive also read the crestron can be a little on the $$$ side. Is it possible to have crestron in the basement/ht area and savant or c4 throught the rest of the house and have them communicate with one another??

Or at least be able to distrubute the video sources between two dif systems?

Thanks a ton in advance

Below is what I posted in another thread where someone wanted to have two separate systems, one being a Crestron system, talking to each other.

Quote:

The type hodgepodge system you are trying to create will be a PITA. You will have to find a dealer/programmer who has time on their hands and needs the job, i.e.$$, to take on this type of system.

There are more issues I can think of that you will have then I care to write. One for instance is support. What if there is an issue with the system who is responsible? Who is going to trouble shoot to find out if it's an issue with your current control systems hardware, software, firmware or programming or if it's an issue with the Crestron side of things, hardware, software, firmware or programming? Is it a combination of both? What about future firmware/software updates? What if the updates cause the 2 systems to stop communicating or worse yet the updates make it so it no longer works at all? You really need to think this through.

As I stated above, as a Crestron Dealer, Programer and DM Engineer I will tell you to buy something else.

Good luck.

Select one system and stick with it. Any potential hardware saving, IF ANY, will be lost in programming costs and on going support issues.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM

There are also different flavours of Crestron available so you could go bells and whistles in one room and then save through the rest of the house by using a lower range of kit - they will still talk together and will still allow a lot of functionality.

If you give a Crestron dealer a realistic budget and tell him your priorities then you should be able to get a system designed to cover it.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If you really want Crestron DVPHD in a single room, your Savant guy can probably make it happen, if he's motivated. He could probably make you just as happy with a 'video wall' of multiple monitors, though, and Savant everywhere.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Savant is not much cheaper than Crestron, and does not have anywhere near the product choices or capability. Don't buy it because it is Apple based, but buy it because it does the job you want the way you want it. I do have a bias since I am a Crestron dealer, and know what it can do.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C View Post

Savant is not much cheaper than Crestron, and does not have anywhere near the product choices or capability. Don't buy it because it is Apple based, but buy it because it does the job you want the way you want it. I do have a bias since I am a Crestron dealer, and know what it can do.

I'm not trying to get off topic since hopefully this will be useful info to the OP, but what exactly can Crestron do that Savant cannot? Also, besides proprietary touch panels, what are differences in product choices?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Crestron gives you many more choices of interface from handheld remotes to in wall touchpannels to touchpanels that can both be handheld and docked in a wall. Video streaming to an inwall TP, analog video to TP, HDMI to TP. Audio distribution that is native to Crestron, so it is easy to program, DM HDMI switching which has no peer. Native lighting control using D3, both for retro with Infinet and centralized lighting with CAEN enclosures. That's just a start. Not putting Savant down, just saying that is still in the price range of Crestron, as opposed to Control 4, or Elan G.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Crestron gives you many more choices of interface from handheld remotes to in wall touchpannels to touchpanels that can both be handheld and docked in a wall.

Great, so lots more choices of expensive, proprietary hardware? Personally, I'm not too sure I see that as an advantage.

Quote:

Video streaming to an inwall TP, analog video to TP, HDMI to TP.

Ok, but what do you do with this? Watch DirecTV on your touch panel instead of your 65" TV? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the key things to "watch" on a touch panel are things like cameras, which Savant also does.

Quote:

Audio distribution that is native to Crestron, so it is easy to program

I don't think this is something that Crestron is doing exclusively. All the companies you named do their own audio distribution including Savant.

Quote:

DM HDMI switching which has no peer.

Meh, it's your opinion. While I'm sure it's really good, it's not a feature that Savant doesnt' have.

Quote:

Native lighting control using D3, both for retro with Infinet and centralized lighting with CAEN enclosures.

Again, I'm sure this is a good product, but seamless integration with Lutron (as well as other lighting companies) is not a lack of lighting control features.

Quote:

That's just a start. Not putting Savant down, just saying that is still in the price range of Crestron, as opposed to Control 4, or Elan G.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just not seeing the vast benefits of Crestron over Savant. I do agree that they are in the same price category.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page