My Whole House Crestron Automation - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I would like to say you have a beautiful home, but that would be insulting. I'm just going to try to pick my jaw up off the floor. eek.gifsmile.gif

I enjoyed reading through this thread. Appreciate you sharing with us and all the details along the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I would like to say you have a beautiful home, but that would be insulting. I'm just going to try to pick my jaw up off the floor. eek.gifsmile.gif

I enjoyed reading through this thread. Appreciate you sharing with us and all the details along the way!

Thank you Nick. I appreciate the comment. As I have mentioned previously in this thread, I was not sure anyone would appreciate the interior design aspect but it appears that I was incorrect.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Masonry Continues

Here are the pics of the Masonry work that was started yesterday. Today the firebox will be completed and we should be starting work on the actual mantel today.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you have a way of getting access to the wires and outlets behind the fireplace if there is some major connection problem?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post

Do you have a way of getting access to the wires and outlets behind the fireplace if there is some major connection problem?
Yes we do. If you take a look at the pics below you will see smurf running between both sides. The Cables you see in the pic are the cable tv connection and Sirius. Both of those are also coming in from the wall on the side of the Left rack. The power outlet, is a 20 AMP dedicated circuit which has been moved to the wall on the side of the Left rack. When we ran smurf the first time (see pics earlier in this thread) we planned for this as we knew what we were going to do (the fireplace). The reason the Sirius & cable outlets plus the 20 AMP circuit is there in the first place, that's where the builder put them.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

The home stretch!
The firebox was finished on Friday and the Hearthstone was laid. Today the actual mantel will go in. Tomorrow is paint and Wed. is the Travertine cleaning and polishing. You will notice that the floor of the fireplace is not finished. I am considering last min. changes. The changes will not affect the install which is why we are moving forward. If I go a head with the changes they will be done today or tomorrow before paint.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mantel Complete!

The mantel is complete as is the firebox. Today is paint, tomorrow is floor polishing and moving the furniture back in. The mantel gets lost against the white textured wall but after painting it will really pop. Some one asked me what paint and colors we use and if I can list them. All paint is Dunn-Edwards Everest. In the Master Bedroom we used Pure White, Velvet. The Great Room & Halls Inside Passage, Flat. The Media Room is done in Antique Silver, Flat, I believe. I don't remember the exact name, I will have to look through my design book. All ceilings are done in Swiss Coffee.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Painting is Done!

The images below do not accurately reflect the color. The color is a little darker then the image depicts. You will also see that I started pulling wiring, Fiber and Cresnet.

The Fiber handles the following;
1) Uncompressed HDMI with support for Deep Color
2) Uncompressed Multi-channel Audio (Dolby® TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, Dolby Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio™ 7.1, DTS-HD High Res 7.1, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES Matrix 5.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24 5.1, up to 8ch PCM)
3) Ethernet (10/100)
4) RS-232 (1 Port)
5) IR (2 Ports)
6) USB (1 Port)
7) Relay (2 Ports)
8) Digital/Contact
9) Ability to embed CEC commands directly within the HDMI Channel and send to any display

The Contact Closures you see on the DM Room Controller (DM-RMC-100-F) will control the Vision Art Screen (Open/Up, Close/Down). The Cresnet cable supplies power to the DM Room Controller (DM-RMC-100-F). The blue USB cable handles keyboard for the various sources (MacMini, Tivo, AppleTV, etc). The dongle at the end of the USB cable is the RF receiver for the keyboard. The blue ethernet cable with the RJ45 connector handles RS-232 control of the display.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What RF keyboard are you using?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddellkw View Post

What RF keyboard are you using?
The KB I am using is the SMK-Link VP6310. It has an integrated trackball, mouse and scroll wheel. It's rechargeable and has a small form factor. From what I understand SMK no longer makes this keyboard (I heard they were going to stop production so I bought 10. I LOVE this keyboard). You can check out a quick YouTube video of it HERE.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Before Furniture.

Here is the room with the fireplace finished and the Travertine cleaned, polished and sealed, before furniture is moved back in. Next is cabinetry and Vision art.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I feel like I just binge watched four seasons of a show and it just ended! Very impressive set up. Wondering why you only work with Crestron, don't you think it would be better to learn and grow and adapt with newer technologies and not just what Crestron comes up with?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn85 View Post

I feel like I just binge watched four seasons of a show and it just ended! Very impressive set up.
Thank you.
Quote:

Wondering why you only work with Crestron, don't you think it would be better to learn and grow and adapt with newer technologies and not just what Crestron comes up with?
We only do Crestron for a couple of reasons.
1) Depth of Product Line - Crestron has the strongest product lines around. Over 2500 different SKU's. For example, Crestron has 30 different Control processors, HDMI Switchers that start at 8x1 and go up to 128x128 and 10 different occupancy sensors to name just a few. With the range of products Crestron offers I know that installs will work. I do not have to go from one vendor for control, to another vendor for a HDMI Matrix, to another for shades or shade control, to another for sensors, etc.

2) Our Clients - Our clients seek us out due to that fact we only do Crestron. I have never had an issue because we only do Crestron.

3) Commercial - We are actually a Crestron Commercial dealer and in the commercial realm there are different control protocols that one must be aware of. For example BACnet. Crestron natively supports BACnet making it easier to integrate with existing commercial systems. We are currently working with a commercial client who is one of the largest luxury resort/apartment, builders in the US. They have actually asked us to implement a Crestron solution for all their current and future properties due to the BACnet integration and the product depth. With the exception of the displays the entire project uses Crestron. Receivers, Lighting, DM, Audio Matrix (Sonnex up to 74 Zones), Occ. Sensors, Shades, etc. All their resorts and apartment communities, throughout the world, can be controlled and monitored from there corporate HQ via Crestron Fusion (Fusion RV & Fusion EM).

As far as learning to grow and "adapt with newer technologies and not just what Crestron comes up with" Crestron is a head of the pack when it comes to new product development and RD. They have one of the most advanced RD groups of any automation company and they have many firsts as far as innovation and integrating with new technologies. Crestron has been around for 40+ years and that's really a LONG time in the tech world. If they did not innovate or adapt with the newer technologies they would not still be around.

One line may not work for other companies, but for us, Crestron is the only automation supplier for us as a dealer and it works. We have a VERY different business model then others. We only take one client at a time, we do not "roll" trucks out to a clients site (we work EXCLUSIVELY with designers, architects and developers). The exception to that is, we will directly with client if we are also doing the interior design AND automation together.

Hope that answers your questions. Any other questions just ask I will be more than happy to answer.
AV_Integrated likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed response. That all makes perfect sense. Sounds like you have a wonderful business and a demanding clientele that has the $ for the good stuff. Being an infant and learning the in's and out's of these systems, I'm constantly impressed and intrigued with the innovation in this space. Do you ever get excited about a new product/system or have you done it so long that it's just the daily grind now? I think it would be a blast working on these projects all day every day but then again, the grass is always greener. I'm just curious that with your experience, do you ever get that new product giddiness that you did when you were just starting out?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed response. That all makes perfect sense. Sounds like you have a wonderful business and a demanding clientele that has the $ for the good stuff. Being an infant and learning the in's and out's of these systems, I'm constantly impressed and intrigued with the innovation in this space. Do you ever get excited about a new product/system or have you done it so long that it's just the daily grind now? I think it would be a blast working on these projects all day every day but then again, the grass is always greener. I'm just curious that with your experience, do you ever get that new product giddiness that you did when you were just starting out?
This is an excellent question. Let me give it some thought and I will write a response. To be honest I started writing a response but then I decided to put my response aside and think about your question more.

On a side note, I never give interviews because the questions they ask are generally fluff. I do have to say that this is one of the best questions asked of me.

Give me some time to think about this and I will answer.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Some Pics with Furniture.

Here are a few pics with some furnishings. I meet with the carpenter on the 20th to start the cabinetry for each side of the fireplace. Once cabinetry is complete and installed I will hang the VisionArt.

Once the entire room is complete I will be getting professional photos taken for a book I am writing called "The Book of Rooms." The book will feature rooms that I have done that incorporate interior design and automation but it's the interior design that takes center stage and not automation. Automation makes the space function while the interior design allows the room to be enjoyed.

Any questions let me know.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Thanks for posting your pics and progress. This is one of my favorite threads.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Any questions let me know.

Wow. This is uber impressive! Is this still same 22k sq ft house? What's the view out side the window? Is there chance to see the whole castle? Thanks

Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry it took me a while to respond but I was out ill. So to answer your questions.
Quote:

Do you ever get excited about a new product/system or have you done it so long that it's just the daily grind now?
I'm going to answer the second part first.
Quote:

. . . . or have you done it so long that it's just the daily grind now?
It's definitely not a grind. If it were to get to that point I would quit and close the business. As I have stated in my previous posts, I am VERY fortunate and I do not take that for granted. With that said, money is not the driving factor in what I do. I have never been motivated by money (you would not believe the jobs I have passed up). I am motivated by the passion I have for what I do. It's that passion that generates the business I receive and thus the dollars. I always tell other to chase their passion and not the dollars. If you chase your passion the money will follow. Once the passion is gone and it becomes a grind, your clients will notice that you are not passionate about what you do, then they do not hire you, and you make no money.
Quote:

Do you ever get excited about a new product/system
To be honest I am definitely not a techie. In fact I do not own a cell phone (got rid of it about 4 years ago) although I do use an iPad for work. As far as new products go, I do not get excited about new products in general and I never listen to the hype around a new product release. In fact I am more inclined to just write it off before it's even out of the gate.

When new products or systems come out I do take a look and look for the following;
1) How does this product/system differ from what's already out there. There are WAY TO MANY new, "Me too/Jump on the Band Wagon", products out there that don't bring anything new to the market.
2) Do the new features really add value and are they necessary? I see too many products coming out that add/change features that do not improve the products usefulness.
3) For products that are new to market how necessary are they.
Quote:

I'm just curious that with your experience, do you ever get that new product giddiness that you did when you were just starting out?
I do. Once I have vetted a product (1-3 above), and I realize that this new product/system fills a void or solves a problem the excitement comes out. As I mentioned above I have a passion for what I do whether it's the interior design side or the automation side of the business. It's that passion that drives the giddiness when a new product/system comes out that really makes a difference in the market.

Hope that answers your questions. If you want to know anything else just ask.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Thanks for posting your pics and progress. This is one of my favorite threads.
Your welcome. I'm glad you enjoy it.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilats View Post

Wow. This is uber impressive! Is this still same 22k sq ft house? What's the view out side the window? Is there chance to see the whole castle? Thanks
I'm glad you like it. This is not the large house. The large house you are referring to is the house we are in the process of building.

Any other questions let me know.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

A few changes.

A few weeks ago I mentioned I was going to rearrange and eliminate some of the equipment in the rack in order to regain some rack U's. You can view the post HERE that describes in detail what equipment will be removed/replaced.

Below are before and after images of the "Audio Rack". I replaced the Kaleidescape Disc Vault M700 with a DV700. Since the DV700 is not a Kaleidescape player and only needs power and ethernet, I put the DV700 in our print closet on the 3rd floor. Since I removed the Kaleidescape M700 I regained 5U's. With the 5U's reclaimed I can add the Crestron Sonnex SWAMP 24x8. The Crestron Sonnex SWAMP 24x8 is 4U's which nets me 1U.

I will be getting rid of the Pioneer Elite receiver you see and replacing it with a Crestron HD-XPA for the Great Room and adding a second Crestron HD-XPA for the Media Room. This nets me an additional 1U for a net total of 2 U's.

Before

After
Old 06-04-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Added the Crestron CEN-NSP-1

The CEN-NSP-1 was released by Crestron last week and I received mine on Monday. I have installed it but not programed it yet (have been using it manually). Once I program it I will show screen shots of the interface..

Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

Added the Crestron CEN-NSP-1

The CEN-NSP-1 was released by Crestron last week and I received mine on Monday. I have installed it but not programed it yet (have been using it manually). Once I program it I will show screen shots of the interface..

So it is like an iDevice only version of the Control4 Wireless Music Bridge?

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/hands_on_control4_wireless_music_bridge/

Which was released over a year ago!

Or is it more like their now depreciated iPod dock?

Looking forward to they why this device is great pictures.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM

The NSP-1 is both a 'wireless music bridge' and a replacement for the IDOCs. When using an AirPlay device the unit will provide transport controls and metadata feedback on any control interface, while docking an iDevice via USB will allow full browsing support via the Crestron Smart Graphics media player. Additional support for streaming services directly from the NSP-1 is 'coming soon.' I'd expect the typical services: Pandora, TuneIn, SiriusXM streaming, etc.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post

The NSP-1 is both a 'wireless music bridge' and a replacement for the IDOCs. When using an AirPlay device the unit will provide transport controls and metadata feedback on any control interface, while docking an iDevice via USB will allow full browsing support via the Crestron Smart Graphics media player. Additional support for streaming services directly from the NSP-1 is 'coming soon.' I'd expect the typical services: Pandora, TuneIn, SiriusXM streaming, etc.

In addition, it will also be taking the place of the CEN-ISERVER, which will be discontinued along with CEN-IDOC's.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

In addition, it will also be taking the place of the CEN-ISERVER, which will be discontinued along with CEN-IDOC's.

So that is a lot of words for Yes

http://www.control4.com/products/audio-video/C4-WMB-B

Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 12
The difference between this and the Control4 piece is that, with a forthcoming firmware upgrade, the Crestron piece will natively stream many online music services. The Control4 bridge always requires a host device to connect to the internet and stream the sources via Airplay/Bluetooth/etc.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post

The difference between this and the Control4 piece is that, with a forthcoming firmware upgrade, the Crestron piece will natively stream many online music services. The Control4 bridge always requires a host device to connect to the internet and stream the sources via Airplay/Bluetooth/etc.

Ah, so like the way that already the Control4 Home Controller will natively stream TuneIn, Rhapsody and Napster without requiring a host.

http://www.control4.com/products/audio-video - see bottom of that page.

Yes it is annoying that Pandora and a few other services are not in that list but equally you are awaiting a 'coming soon' software update to get any streaming services natively.

I'm not sure how the Crestron part works, but with the C4 approach this means I get 2 sources here, someone can use the WMB to stream from their device in one audio zone and a streaming service can come from the Home Controller to another audio zone (or more if you are looking at the HC800).

Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

So that is a lot of words for Yes
http://www.control4.com/products/audio-video/C4-WMB-B
Uh. . . No rolleyes.gif