2Likes

post #121 of 137 Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

this means I get 2 sources here, someone can use the WMB to stream from their device in one audio zone and a streaming service can come from the Home Controller to another audio zone (or more if you are looking at the HC800).
You are correct. The C4 solution needs 2 boxes, a Controller & their WMB, to do the job of a single Crestron NSP1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

You are correct. The C4 solution needs 2 boxes, a Controller & their WMB, to do the job of a single Crestron NSP1.

Ok, I'll bite, the NSP1 will do all this work without any other Crestron devices except an Amp to connect it to?

I could get my iPhone/Android, an NSP1 an amp and speakers and be all set for music distribution.  Or would I need some other Crestron system controller?

In Control4 world I could get the HC250, amp and speakers and be all set for Rhapsody and TuneIn and iTunes distribution.  If I wanted to add a bridge for music streamed from other devices that is optional.

Seems in Crestron world if I want to do any music streaming I need to buy the NSP1?

post #123 of 137 Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I could get my iPhone/Android, an NSP1 an amp and speakers and be all set for music distribution.  Or would I need some other Crestron system controller?
No Crestron controller needed . I have been using the CEN-NSP-1 in my setup and I have not added or programmed it into the Crestron system. You can stream any music service, iTunes, Pandora, Sirius, etc., from any iOS device, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to NSP-1 without any Crestron hardware.

Here is an image of Pandora and iTunes streaming from my iPad to CEN-NSP-1 (DSW-CEN-NSP-1)

Quote:

In Control4 world I could get the HC250, amp and speakers and be all set for Rhapsody and TuneIn and iTunes distribution. If I wanted to add a bridge for music streamed from other devices that is optional.
Seems in Crestron world if I want to do any music streaming I need to buy the NSP1?

At any rate, it's what works for you. If C4 works for you great. For myself, my company and our clients C4 would never work nor fit the bill for the projects we do. I don't know if you read this entire thread but I believe somewhere within it, I stated that we only handle Crestron and was even asked why we only carry Crestron. If you have read it, it should have helped you understand why C4 dosent fit the bill.
post #124 of 137 Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

A week ago I posted that i added the Crestron CEN-NSP-1 Airplay Streaming device. I did not mention at the time I also ordered the RMK-IFE-1U, the rack mount kit for the CEN-NSP-1. I have not received the the RMK-IFE-1U rack mount kit yet. I am told I will receive it July 1st.

So, after a busy week I finally got around to adding the CEN-NSP-1 to my Crestron system. I have attached a few pictures of the CEN-NSP-1, the RMK-IFE-1U (the rack mount kit for the CEN-CSP-1) and a couple of screen shots from my iPad. As far as programing goes this actually took me about 5min since I already had a Smart Graphics Media Player instance for Sirius (CEN-TRACK) and Internet Radio (ATC-AudioNet). All I had to do was drop in the CEN-NSP-1 in the audio program file, add the correct IPID, which in my case was 51 and connect the 2 joins to the CEN-NSP-1 and the Media Server Object Router. Compile and upload. Below are the pics. When I get the rack mount kit for the CEN-NSP-1 I will take pics showing the install.

The CEN-NSP-1

The RMK-IFE-1U rack mount kit for the CEN-NSP-1.

Screen Shots

Any questions let me know.
post #125 of 137 Old 06-12-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

If you looked at previous pics in this thread you will see there was a MacPro. I eliminated the MacPro and added a Mac Mini.

I split the rack shelf the Wii-U was on and put the Wii-U and Mac Mini on the same rack shelf. I do this quite a bit with rack mounted equipment. A HUGE pet peeve of mine is to see racks that have rack space dedicated to a single piece equipment instead of having equipment sharing rack space that can.

The Mac Mini is connected to the Crestron DM system via HDMI with keyboard control through the Crestron DM system also.

Here are the pics.

Rear

Front

Installed in Rack

Another pet peeve I have is when racks are not finished with trim strips to cover the screws, that really annoys me. Take a look at the difference between the image above without the trim strips and the one below with the trim strips added. The trim strips give the rack a "completed" look and that it was professionally done. Whereas the pic above, without the trim strips, looks amateur/DYI and unfinished.

Installed in Rack with Trim Strips

Watch for more interior finishes and Crestron equipment coming soon.

Any questions let me know.

Last edited by GoGo Delicious; 06-19-2014 at 06:11 AM.
post #126 of 137 Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How did you get the faceplate for the Wii U and the Mac Mini? I assume it was custom made?

War Eagle!
post #127 of 137 Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
How did you get the faceplate for the Wii U and the Mac Mini? I assume it was custom made?
Yes. We are a Middle Atlantic dealer and I had them make it for me. If you know what you want any Middle Atlantic dealer can order the face plate for you if you already have the rack shelf.

As I mentioned I do quite a bit of side by side and stacked face plates. I will look through my photos to see if I have more examples of equipment side by side and stacked on one rack shelf.

I will be doing this again with the MC3 rack space. I am getting rid of the Crestron Pro2 and adding another MC3. I will use the existing rack shelf and get a dual MC3 face plate so they are side by side. Doing it this way I reclaim 2U's by eliminating the Pro2.

Last edited by GoGo Delicious; 06-12-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #128 of 137 Old 06-20-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Added the Crestron RMK-IFE-1U, rack mount kit for the CEN-NSP-1.

The Crestron RMK-IFE-1U rack.

The CEN-NSP-1 mounted on the rackshelf.

The Crestron RMK-IFE-1U mounted in the rack.

The Crestron RMK-IFE-1U with face plate on.
post #129 of 137 Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

New Antique Aquisitions

Here are 2 new antiques that I acquired and finally arrived.

These are solid iron balcony railings from a French Chateau that are about 110 years old. I am planning to either have custom Travertine or Marble tops made for them and they will be going on the second floor, same floor as the fireplace. I made a temporary wooden top so people can envision what I was talking about. When I saw these a year ago I automatically thought "add a custom Travertine or marble top and these would make GREAT console tables." No one really envisioned what I was seeing, so I made the wooden tops for "visualization."

I will be cleaning the consoles up but NOT re-painting or touching them up. I am thinking of un-filled Travertine or very old marble with a lot of veining and with the weathered and aged look of the consoles they will look great. The weight of the consoles are heavy they are approx. 175lbs each and each one measure 68" L X 17" D X 35" H. The for legs are solid iron which show how things were made long ago. If this was to be made now the legs would be hollow as would the architectural details.

More coming soon.
post #130 of 137 Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
How do you like the NSP? I have someone who is looking to replace a Fireball system... I'm looking to upgrade him to something that will tie into his iTunes & phones, but wasn't really sure. He has older panels which don't support Smart graphics, but I can update his iPad to do so. Just would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Look for a thread soon on my Crestron setup. I don't have the great house that you do, but a pretty solid setup with Crestron that is (always) a work in progress.
BllDo likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #131 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I gotta ask....How in gods name do you afford a 20,000 sq foot house. There are a list Movie stars and rappers out there who can't afford a house like that. Your doing it off an integration business and interior design? You should be at the top of the cepro 100 if your affording a crib like that. I just find it hard to believe you can make enough in this field of work to swing that. I'd love to see my integration biz hit that level or success. But I'd have to relocate to the oc or some other rich folk county. Am I missing something here? Did u hit the lotto or have a rich ancestor who left you 40 million. Lol
post #132 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
How do you like the NSP? I have someone who is looking to replace a Fireball system... I'm looking to upgrade him to something that will tie into his iTunes & phones, but wasn't really sure. He has older panels which don't support Smart graphics, but I can update his iPad to do so. Just would like to hear your thoughts on it.
I like it and have had no issues with it. I am using it with Smart Graphics as you can see in my posts. I am only using it with my iPod and not really using the AirPlay feature. I use my Kaleidescape system for music (I still purchase CD's) and as far as streaming I use Sirius and Internet radio via the Crestron CEN-TRACK with a Crestron AM/FM/Sirius Card and the the Crestron ATC-AudioNet card for internet radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Look for a thread soon on my Crestron setup. I don't have the great house that you do, but a pretty solid setup with Crestron that is (always) a work in progress.
Nice . .I would love to see it.
post #133 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

My post below has nothing to do with this thread but I do try to respond to every question. I try to answer the question with a bit of insight so people know where I am coming from. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post
Ok I gotta ask....How in gods name do you afford a 20,000 sq foot house. There are a list Movie stars and rappers out there who can't afford a house like that. Your doing it off an integration business and interior design? You should be at the top of the cepro 100 if your affording a crib like that. I just find it hard to believe you can make enough in this field of work to swing that. I'd love to see my integration biz hit that level or success. But I'd have to relocate to the oc or some other rich folk county. Am I missing something here? Did u hit the lotto or have a rich ancestor who left you 40 million. Lol
I wont go into details about my financial situation, as this is not the place nor is it anyone's business. But I will say this.

First - No rich ancestor nor have I won the lotto. I am fortunate enough to come from a family where not only were my parents financially successful but my aunts, uncles, grand parents we also financially well off. As kids we were always told by my dad "Your mom and I are rich, you're not. You better do well in school so you can do well in life. We are not giving you any money once you graduate from college."

One, college was a given just as elementary school and high school was and two he meant it. Today my mom is retired (she retired 3 years ago and my dad has passed away), extremely wealthy, travels the world and to this day she has never given us, my brother, sister nor I, a dime since college. In fact we had to pay for our own college tuition. I thank them for sending us to private school, elementary and HS, and that's the extent of us being spoiled. My parents are very grounded and never spoiled us which I am grateful for as it taught me the value of work and a dollar.

Second - I have always said, "The hardest thing in this country is to be poor. It's extremely easy to be wealthy." and this is something I truly believe in. When I started HS I had a realization that has carried me through to this day. I was accepted into one of the top private HS schools in So. Cal. and with that came the realization that the work and grades I got in elementary school is what got me into HS. I realized at that point what I do in the present affects my future, 7-8 years down the road. What I do and how I perform in HS affects my college career and my college career affects my job, my job affects my lifestyle and my lifestyle affects my retirement and my retirement affects my happiness. I have always worked for the future not for today. What I did in my 20's and 30's brought me to where I am financially today. I am in my 40's and now working for retirement.

Third - It does not matter what you choose to do in life. It's how you do it. I personally know 2 doctors who are married have great jobs, make 300K+ a year and are broke. On the other hand I have a friend who I went to elementary school with, who started out working at a fast food franchise in HS, continued working there all through college and met her husband while they both worked at the same fast food franchise. At 25 she graduated with her MBA and bought her 1st fast food franchise. It was the one she was working at. Her and her husband at one time became the largest franchise owners of this particular company. At 30, bought a 12Mil house in Newport Coast, 5 years after her first franchise purchase. They are now in their 40's also, sold off all but 5 and are now semi-retired travelling. She started as a cashier at a fast food and ending up owning quite a few stores.

It does not matter what you do, as long as you OWN what you do and be the best at what you do. NO ONE gets rich working for someone else. You MUST OWN what you do.

Fourth -
Quote:
I just find it hard to believe you can make enough in this field of work to swing that. I'd love to see my integration biz hit that level or success.l
It can.
What plans have you made and what have you done to get there? Remember what I said earlier? That "I realized at that point what I do in the present affects my future." We have clients all over the world. France, Spain, UK as well as the U.S. We did a Kaleidescape system 3 weeks ago in Washington state, we are in So Cal. Now ask yourself this, why would this client call us? Why would he and his wife purchase and install a Kaleidescape system from a company 2 states over when there are plenty of qualified Kaleidescape dealers not only in his state but in between their state, Oregon and California? Why do we get clients from all over the world? Why do we get the large jobs? The answer my business plan.

When I started this business I planned for the luxury market. That's where I am going to make the money to sustain my lifestyle and to carry me through retirement. When I planed for the luxury market I also planned for the economic down turn. Good times never last and we, my wife and I always plan for that.

Fifth - Diversification/Recurring Revenue. Not only do I own and interior design firm and a luxury integration firm, I also own a data services and internet company. The data services/internet company service fortune 500 companies. Some of our clients include Sony, Epson, CNN, L.A.U.S.D, as well as our integration clients. A SMALL example are my integration clients. We provide the VOIP phone services for all our integration clients and since a lot of our clients are CEO's or owners of large companies we will get their data services and corporate VOIP phone business. It's a circle. I said above that "I planed for the luxury market I also planned for the economic down turn." This is my plan. During the economic down turn recurring revenue from our data service company grew between 25% and 60%. As companies down sized during the down turn they outsourced more IT and data services to us.

Sixth -
Quote:
Your doing it off an integration business and interior design?
Yes. Again, it's not what you do. It's how you do it. I am taking my design business a step further. Currently I am planning my own luxury line of furniture that will be out next year with sample production starting in August and final production starting in Jan 2015. I am not licensing my name like others do. I OWN the line. I am actually designing all the pieces myself. I am 100% hands on and overseeing all manufacturing and assembly. All furniture will be made using solid hardwoods and manuf. and assembled here in the USA. In Los Angeles to be exact.

Now think of this. I have a client where my interior design company does the interior design, we provide the furniture, integration company provides Crestron control (lighting, audio, video, HVAC, shades), we provide all the AV gear, all the shades and lighting I sell directly to the client and we install the phone system and collect revenue on the phone system. Again it's not what you do it's how you do it. We don't go out and hang displays on walls. That's for Best Buy.

Seventh - Here is one the homes of L.A. interior designer Timothy Corrigan. Chateau du Grand Luce. I bring this up because he is doing exactly what my plan is. If you read why we are buildign a 20K sq. ft. house you would see that, again, it's part of a plan. Retirement. I stated that when we retire, my wife and I can not see ourselves sitting around and not working in some capacity. Thus the luxury bed and breakfast. You can rent Chateau du Grand Luce by the week if you like. I have the same vision when we retire a luxury B&B where we will have revenue coming in. Once we retire we will not have any of the other business. We will sell the data service/internet company, hopefully sell the design firm and we will dissolve the integration company.

Sorry for the long post that has nothing to do with this thread but I do try to respond to every question. I try to answer the question with a bit of insight so people know where I am coming from. I truly believe it's hard to be poor and easy to be successful in this country. To clarify there is really no such thing as rich or poor. There are some on this forum who have less then I do and some who have more than I do. I don't worry about who has what. For those that have met me know I am not into anything outwardly material. I wear cargo shorts, t-shirts and Converse Chucks most of the time. If you saw me on the streets I would look like some ordinary person. No one would ever guess what I do, what I own, or the type of house I have. I do not drive a fancy German car (I have a Prius), I don't wear a fancy watch (no Rolex here), no outward signs of success. My wife and I live well below our means. We live on 25% of our salary and we save/invest the other 75%. All our success sits in our businesses, house's and bank/investment accounts.

In short never judge a book by it's cover. If you do I HIGHLY recommend you read the following book The Millionaire Next Door.

Now to answer your question
Quote:
How in gods name do you afford a 20,000 sq foot house.
Hard work, a lot of planning, income diversification, and living well below my means.

I hope that answers your question.
BllDo likes this.
post #134 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM

well thank you for taking the time for a great reply. I have already read that book along with about 300 others similar in nature from good to great to who moved my cheese. I agree with what your saying about owning your own business.... but i will say it in my own words...Fuc! climbing the corporate ladder, own it! I read a quote the other day. "You cant make money in a town where there is none" While that's not entirely true there is a good message in it. Place your business in an area like yours or some other city like west palm with a large income per capita and your chances of making a fortune for yourself is greater. Granted this still requires lots of hard work etc. I live in upstate new york... aside for some homes around lakes, million dollar homes are few and far. That definitely hinders my level of success if i stick to this geographic area. The money just isn't here. For years I have been contemplating moving to the tampa bay region but just recently bought land here to build a house on.
So My situation.... i work for a fortune 500 in a union job. Most people in the area think its a great income. Me I have much grander visions but its also hard to walk away from that income knowing for awhile your going to make less. I am not getting any younger. I am almost mid 30's and i want more in life not less so its hard to take a step back income wise. Patience is the toughest part. I own land and want to build a house asap... not wait 6 more years while i try to get the business successful and get a decent income level coming back in but i do know also if i stay at my current job and never got this business going i would look back and always regret it.
What business owners can make financially is actually a pretty touch thing to gather data on it in this field. I have posted up threads asking can a business owner in this field make over 100k and you get a lot of replies like stick with your day job you'll be better off. I say to myself no way... you got to be able to make more then that if you do it right. 100k isn't that much to me... not in the grande scheme of things.... there is a lot of money out there. 100k is a drop in the bucket to some people so why not aim high. I never pursued business much here as I half ass set on moving south so i never chased it here. I educated myself like crazy in this field in the meantime. I started leaning more toward staying here (i must be crazy) and then got bumped to night shift. Now i'm at the point where i feel i need to get after this on a much more serious level but that is hindered on night shift. Not trying to make excuses but its a 12 hr shift 7pm to 7am. By the time i wake up, even on off days, most people are home from work and don't want you in their house doing work. The good side of the 12 hr shifts is once i'm back on days... if i take no overtime i have three days off one week, 4 the next alternating. This is a great opportunity to start the business on the side and still keep the full time gig. Once the business grows to a level of success to support me i can make this field my full time venture. Also every time i see the work done by local talent at parade of home shows, etc i say to myself... jesus i could blow these guys out of the water and dominate the area. I honestly laugh to myself at the quality of their work. Again though i question the market. I just don't know if the market around here can support the level of success i desire. Then i think how you support multiple markets so maybe someday it would work. Sometimes i also say to myself... maybe i am shooting and thinking to small. Making I'm just thinking small change. Maybe I need a company making a product and hitting a much larger market. Like a nest thermostat for example. Fear is a tough one and it def has played a role in holding me back. But your words are inspiring and again i thank you for the reply. If you read mine in depth i appreciate you taking the time. I don't mean to hijack your thread and take it off subject.

Last edited by gerard143; 06-26-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #135 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I read you entire post and I have a few comments.

Quote:
well thank you for taking the time for a great reply.
Your welcome. I hope it somehow motivated/inspired you.

Quote:
I read a quote the other day. "You cant make money in a town where there is none" While that's not entirely true there is a good message in it. Place your business in an area like yours or some other city like west palm with a large income per capita and your chances of making a fortune for yourself is greater.
As I have stated before, 95+% of our business is out of state. Although I live in one of the most wealthiest areas in the world, most of our business comes from out of state.

Quote:
So My situation.... i work for a fortune 500 in a union job. Most people in the area think its a great income. Me I have much grander visions but its also hard to walk away from that income knowing for awhile your going to make less. I am not getting any younger. I am almost mid 30's and i want more in life not less so its hard to take a step back income wise. Patience is the toughest part. I own land and want to build a house asap... not wait 6 more years while i try to get the business successful and get a decent income level coming back in but i do know also if i stay at my current job and never got this business going i would look back and always regret it.
That's tough no one can tell you what to do. That's a personal decision you have to make on your own. I will say this though. If you never actually try and give it 110% then you have failed yourself.

Quote:
What business owners can make financially is actually a pretty touch thing to gather data on it in this field. I have posted up threads asking can a business owner in this field make over 100k and you get a lot of replies like stick with your day job you'll be better off. I say to myself no way... you got to be able to make more then that if you do it right. 100k isn't that much to me... not in the grande scheme of things.... there is a lot of money out there. 100k is a drop in the bucket to some people so why not aim high.
If someone can not make 100K in this business then they are not doing it right. As I mentioned before that my financial affairs are no ones business, but 100K is really a drop in the ocean.

Quote:
I never pursued business much here as I half ass set on moving south so i never chased it here. I educated myself like crazy in this field in the meantime. I started leaning more toward staying here (i must be crazy) and then got bumped to night shift.
We actually have a saying here in the office. We NEVER do anything half-assed, we always do it full-assed. Meaning 110% on every project, for every client and for ourselves

Quote:
Fear is a tough one and it def has played a role in holding me back.
Fear is your worst enemy and your primary competition. If you can get around fear I guarantee that you will be successful. Every business owner has some sort of fear, it's how you handle it which will determine your success or failure.

Quote:
But your words are inspiring and again i thank you for the reply. If you read mine in depth i appreciate you taking the time. I don't mean to hijack your thread and take it off subject.
No problem. I truly hope you were inspired and that you go after what you want.
post #136 of 137 Old 06-26-2014, 04:02 PM

It is motivating and thanks for speaking on a subject that is indeed personal.
post #137 of 137 Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

My Trip to the Stone Yard

So I went to to the stone yard today to pick out the slab for the antique balcony railings that I am converting to console tables. Before I get into the slab I picked I need to tell you about the stone company we buy from. I have been working with this company for the last 4-5 years and they are GREAT. The owner actually goes and visits the various quarries all over the world and selects the stone himself. In fact the quarries hold off and set aside first choice stone for him so it will be there the next time he goes by. The stone he is able to acquire is amazing. When, I get calls from sales people trying to get us to buy stone from them they always ask who our supplier is and when I tell them they so "Oh. You are in good hands" and tell us they can not beat the quality we are currently getting.

I just had to get that out.

With that said here is an image of the antique balcony rails I am converting to console tables.

Here is the actual slab. It's called "Calcutta Fantasy" marble. I will be using the portion of the marble that has the black, grays, reds and rust color for the tops. It will be going to fabrication in about 2 weeks. When in fabrication I will document that so you can see how it goes from a slab to a custom table top. The design I came up with is nice. It's not just going to be a rectangular stone top. No, No, No.

The stone yard. While I was there I took some pics of the stone yard. I thought some might be interested. This place is HUGE!
First off here are a few very rare slabs that the owner was able to get a hold of from a quarry in Argentina I believe. The WHOLESALE price is 125.00 per square foot and this slab measures 8'w x 10'h, which is 80 Sq. Ft. which comes to a cost of 10K WHOLESALE. Retail would run 1.5 to 2.0 times more and don't forget, you still have fabrication and installation to factor in.

Here are are various pics of the stone yard.

Slabs as far as your eye can see.

This warehouse is about the size of a football field and is filled with crates of stone

Stay tuned for the custom fireplace screen I am having made. It will be a triptych iron frame with beveled edge leaded glass design on a diamond pattern. The center panel will have a
flur-de-lis embedded within the beveled edge leaded glass. Pics will come in a few weeks.

As usual any questions just ask.

Last edited by GoGo Delicious; 07-02-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page