Home Automation... to do or not to do... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of building a new home it is actually a 5 bed room apartment about 5000 Sq. Ft.

I am thinking of HA but both my architect and electrical engineer are against it as they say it is an unnecessary complication...

if i do i would use Lutron for lights and shades and also a creston processor for AV as well as lighting integration...

now the question is what is the real advantage that one gets by HA is it a must do or just a show off...??? and also how complicated the system becomes will I be running around maintaining the system on a continuous basis....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Ask the plumber, then you'll have three "qualified" opinions on the subject...

From a practicality standpoint, better question is: what are you trying to accomplish by "automation"? If you ask about lighting/shade control, and about A/V distribution, you will probably get different answers.

If you want the level of integration provided by Crestron, etc., you should talk to a qualified dealer about the capabilities.

I didn't do the highly integrated setup for a number of reasons, but did look at lighting control, and once I found that I could do what I'd want with a Lutron RadioRA setup later (easily retrofit), I ignored it during construction.

In hindsight, if I planned out some future lighting control more, I would have had the switches and loads arranged "better" to allow for fewer devices to upgrade...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 AM

A home that size I think HA would be a great benefit. While some things can be considered "showing off" it really depends on how you look at it. The greatest benefit is convenience and the possibility of making your home more energy effiencient. You can get outlets that you turn on and off. With the added bedrooms, this would allow you to save energy by turning off the outlets (whatever is plugged into them)until the rooms are in use. (Also could be used in any room). With lighting control, you could control lights in other parts of your house without going to that area (say you left the living room light on and your in bed) the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. As was previously stated, I would go talk to an authorized dealer. I could go on and on with things that you can do but its easier to explain in person that type all that can be done. Especially for a place that size, its definitely with it.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Read many threads, do some research. Make a list of what you'd like to have.

Cameras (exterior, interior (playroom, nursery) front door), lighting control, TV control, distributed audio system, lighting control (lights turn on and off when you're on vacation, giving an at-home appearance to burglars; control of exterior lights from multiple place; programmable scenes; never enter a dark house; tie the lights into the alarm system; replace a bank of switches with a keypad), alarm, HVAC control, hardwired LAN, intercoms, phone system - all considerations.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have read a lot of thread and spoke to a lot of people... And I think it is very cool what I shall be able to do with the combination of Lutron and CRESTRON but but I am not convinced it 40K cool!
I think being able to control any light from any where is nice but I am not convinced about the utility of Dimming...
And I thing AV automation is not practical in the current scenario of rapidly changing technology especially for someone like me who has to have every new gadget, I shall need to reprogram my system every month or so....

So I think HA technology is terribly expensive right now for what it can achieve....but it also ready for Apple kind of disruption someone has to build an industry standard which makes the system easier to adapt with new products..

Sadly I also know that walls are open now and once they close I shall have no option to change my mind... Ever....
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Sadly I also know that walls are open now and once they close I shall have no option to change my mind... Ever...."

There is alway options and anything can be done later but at a greater expense. People retro HA all the time. Snaking wire does $uck though.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have found retrofitting cables to be, at times, enjoyable. Retrofitting distributed audio (11 zones and counting), adding LAN drops, and a new TV location has taught me a lot about how my house is constructed. I have 3 attics and 2 connected, centrally located mechanical rooms in the basement, so it actually hasn't been too bad.

Spent this afternoon adding cables to the new TV location in the workshop, and hung the TV mount.

But ask me if I would have chosen Sonos for audio, in retrospect. The answer is no, because it doesn't integrate well with a whole-house controller.

You can still go with Crestron, and just scale back the scope. I really appreciate audio everywhere, I think you should do that at a minimum.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's nothing quite as fun as drilling up into no-mans-land and finding that needle it the haystack (30 amp dryer feed) that shouldn't be there.
Hep me jesus Hep me. My nuts is on fire

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're super cautious, it's not too dangerous. I've essentially only had to cut drywall for keypads, with an open volume control already cut (usually), nearby to see what's there. No scares yet, drilling through wall top plates.

When cutting into virgin drywall, I often start with a 1.5" hole saw (very shallow cut), to take a look around, although a small beveled-edge square cutout with a keyhole saw has it's advantages.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhbatra View Post

I have read a lot of thread and spoke to a lot of people... And I think it is very cool what I shall be able to do with the combination of Lutron and CRESTRON but but I am not convinced it 40K cool!
I think being able to control any light from any where is nice but I am not convinced about the utility of Dimming...
And I thing AV automation is not practical in the current scenario of rapidly changing technology especially for someone like me who has to have every new gadget, I shall need to reprogram my system every month or so....

So I think HA technology is terribly expensive right now for what it can achieve....but it also ready for Apple kind of disruption someone has to build an industry standard which makes the system easier to adapt with new products..

Sadly I also know that walls are open now and once they close I shall have no option to change my mind... Ever....

Then draw up a plan, buy a 1000' reel of cat 5e/6 cable and run the cable in the walls (leaving it coiled in the approximate location you might want to add keypads etc.) all leading back to a suitable closet/basement. Worst case, you never use it and you're out <$100 and a couple of days of effort.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM

I would suggest that at minimum you prewire for some control. Wiring is so much cheaper to run now and it will always allow you to install in stages as needed or not at all. For resell you will be able to list it as being done and therefore a could positive and you will get a return on what you spent.
RadioRa would be a perfect solution for lighting since it can be removed and used in your new residence if you ever did sell. Again no wasted $$$$.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page