Advice on seeTemp thermostat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been looking for a clean way to retro-fit a zoned HVAC system to my house... but until I saw Lutron's seeTemp thermostats, I didn't like the controls for each room. However, after reading how tight Lutron is with their software, I was hoping someone could give me some insight.

I am extremely technical (programming, wireless engineering, etc) and not looking for professional install. I currently have a mix of Insteon and Z-Wave, but if the HVAC had to stand alone I could live with that.

Is anyone using the seeTemp thermostat in a mixed environment? Is so are you doing active zoning? What zone controller did you use? Did you have to use RadioRA 2 repeaters? Is the Lutron TouchPRO thermostat a requirement for the seeTemp (ie will it only bind to it?)?

Thanks,
Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

As far as I know the seeTemp is the only "gang-able" thermostat. I have read up on RadioRA 2 a little...

If you take a seeTemp and connect to a TouchPRO, it extends the zone right? Looks like this would work without any other devices/software...
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The seeTemp needs to be used with an hvac controller along with a main repeater. You cannot integrate a Touchpro with a seeTemp. Consider them as separate ways of hvac control. It's either one or the other, but not both. The Honeywell Touchpro is a sexy unit and has a myriad of functions. The seeTemp is a wall box controller that can be installed in place of a t- stat and/or be added in a 120v wall box for additional room controls. Check the Lutron website for further info on multi zoned systems with an hvac controller.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You will also need the RR2 software for either the Touchpro or SeeTemp. You can pm me for further info. The way I see it is that Lutron may be trying to shy away from hvac controllers in an attempt to streamline the Touchpro for hvac control. Regardless, you may want to look further on the Lutron website for more info...especially the functionality of the TouchPro.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 AM

The seeTemp can be associated with either the HVAC controller or the TouchPRO. The software will need to be used with either option.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so if I wanted to do this in stages:

1. Get a Lutron touchPro and a seeTemp. Link them (have to use a Main Repeater yes?) to get some basic temperature control in another room...

2. Get a Main Repeater so I can link it to my home automation for control. Using a Vera 3 controller, which just recently added RadioRA 2 support.

3. Put a zone controller and dampers in so I can have a true zoned HVAC system. This is the part I am having trouble with... what zone controller is going to work with this setup?

Lutron is not exactly forthcoming with information.

Thanks
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page