1Likes

post #61 of 75 Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

If I needed Crestron programmed professionally, and money was no object, I'd hire a Crestron programming firm where the guys do nothing but design and programming of HA systems. Those who do 1 thing can get very good at it, like in specialized medicine.

Some of the best installers use these national and international programming and design firms, developing good working relationships.

However, it may be challenging for the average homeowner to work directly with these firms. There is usually a knowledgeable installer acting as the middleman, to work out the hardware.

Your local installer may be able to sub out the programming (and system design) to one of these companies.

Usually very expensive, for specialized expertise.

Yes... your local dealer should have someone with the proper knowledge program you Crestron system if they are not able too. I disagree however about HA firms.  Being more than proficient in the ares that are under your systems control is the best way to do quality automation.  To be able to totally own the system should always be a positive for the client and dealer. A HA company should be a one stop shop.

Also, Control4 is capable of any HA system. 2k, 8k 16k sq ft... doesnt matter. Especially with it's newest products and panalized lighting, its a better option just based on cost alone.  The only real downfall is that lack of customization.. that for the most part is still irrelevant. A lot of custom interfaces look very bad and are confusing and cluttered.  These systems are supposed to simplify... and Control4s interface does great at that. Streamline no matter which interface you use.  Most poor experiences with C4 systems are on the installation and conception end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

I see this topic has been idle a while but I'd like to ask couple of questions. I am looking at both for a DIY solution in my home. Building custom control programs is not an issue (I build software professionally) but I'm not looking to create something overly complex that requires a bunch of time to manage. When done, it needs to just work.

1. I have some Crestron devices but am extremely unhappy with the Crestron customization tools. I have access to all the Crestron tools and have worked a bit to customize a test panel I built but it seems to me they made this way more complex than it has to be. It is not at all straight forward and Crestron pricing is steep. I currently have an MC3 processor with a bunch of dimmers and keypads. Everything Zigbee. Anyway to use these devices with a Control 4 controller? I'm doing advanced lighting and some AV control; nothing too fancy (dim lights when starting movie for instance). Which of the many Crestron tools do you find the most useful for situations like this?

2. Swapping for Control 4 is still an option. The control/programming tools seem more intuitive and there seems to be enough capability there to do what I need. My recent stay at Aria makes me seriously doubt Control 4 as a platform though. The automation experience in that hotel is simply horrible. The bed-side panel is virtually worthless due to latency and in many cases multiple button presses were required to get something to work. I ended up abandoning the panel and just using the wall switches because they were at least more reliable although still slow. If this is typical of Control 4 then I have my answer. Similar experience with Crestron-controlled rooms (Revel) was MUCH better. Aria is using tech that's a couple years old so maybe things are better now?

Thanks in advance for any additional helpful advice.

Cheers,
Frank
post #63 of 75 Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 20
I've heard aria got a deal on older c4 hardware that was being phased out. It's a poor reflection on the product.

Control4 is not super DIY. You can program but cannot add hardware. You need a dealer to add hardware.
post #64 of 75 Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_W View Post

And well...Just Add Power works perfectly within the C4 system as an unlimited any-size custom matrix.
Videostorm NetPlay recently released and getting love in the C4 space is another good contender.
post #65 of 75 Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 AM

Crestron is AWFUL!!!

After 3 1/2 years of pathetic service and 4 different programmers our $150k Crestron Boat Anchor pile of garbage is worthless. It never worked correctly, and even when Crestron sent programmers from their regional HQ's from out of state to work on this system they still could not get a very simple system to work. We asked for lighting control, HVAC, House Sound, and TV Controls. What we got was a lighting system that was a fire hazard, HVAC running wild driving up our power bills, and horribly sporadic control of the sound systems and TV's, with horribly non responsive unreliable controls. Our iPads are the only control interfaces that were worth having!

YES installers make a difference and yes programmers make a difference, but apparently Crestron does not adequately Vet their retailers and uses them as an excuse to allow them to claim their systems are the best, but hey you could get a bad sales man or programmer. That is pathetic, and is the opposite of customer service! Crestron claims they are not at fault for allowing non certified companies to sell their products without adequate knowledge regarding how to design and install their systems, and that is absolutely ridiculous. Crestron claims their systems are the most flexible and able to do a lot of things, but I have yet to see their systems work correctly. "Programming" is a cop out for Crestron and Crestron Dealers.....

SHAME ON CRESTRON........BUY ANYTHING ELSE.......
post #66 of 75 Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerH1 View Post

Crestron is AWFUL!!!

After 3 1/2 years of pathetic service and 4 different programmers our $150k Crestron Boat Anchor pile of garbage is worthless. It never worked correctly, and even when Crestron sent programmers from their regional HQ's from out of state to work on this system they still could not get a very simple system to work. We asked for lighting control, HVAC, House Sound, and TV Controls. What we got was a lighting system that was a fire hazard, HVAC running wild driving up our power bills, and horribly sporadic control of the sound systems and TV's, with horribly non responsive unreliable controls. Our iPads are the only control interfaces that were worth having!

YES installers make a difference and yes programmers make a difference, but apparently Crestron does not adequately Vet their retailers and uses them as an excuse to allow them to claim their systems are the best, but hey you could get a bad sales man or programmer. That is pathetic, and is the opposite of customer service! Crestron claims they are not at fault for allowing non certified companies to sell their products without adequate knowledge regarding how to design and install their systems, and that is absolutely ridiculous. Crestron claims their systems are the most flexible and able to do a lot of things, but I have yet to see their systems work correctly. "Programming" is a cop out for Crestron and Crestron Dealers.....

SHAME ON CRESTRON........BUY ANYTHING ELSE.......

That is a real shame. I feel for you and do share some of your views about letting anyone sell their kit.

Do you have wiring schematics and the program for your place? I'd be happy to review free of any charge to see if there is anything obvious which could be done? I'm in the UK so am not touting for work I just hate to see someone with such a bad experience when I know systems should and can work properly.

I think the contact details are in my profile if you are interested.
SMHarman likes this.
post #67 of 75 Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just stumbled upon the thread. I just had a control 4 system put into a new HT/mediaroom and living room TV/hifi a few weeks ago. So far I'm not really big on it at all, it just seems way too dumbed down and locked off(and dealer configured) for the advanced HT enthusiast to enjoy using. I keep having to get the installers back just to add new sources and macros with their laptop programming software, only to discover there's still missing functionality. Plus, the default towards not having direct replication of factory remotes built in is annoying, particularly when adjusting units like projectors. I keep having to reach for the factory remotes I find to do what I need. The control 4 seems to work great when I got the installers to 'idiot' test it with my much less savvy friend who will have access to the place from time to time. To me Control 4 feels like a 'hotel remote', where they don't want you touching anything in the system other than have the most basic controls at hand. I get more satisfaction out of the Harmony Ultimate system that runs my main HT room not at that location. On the flip side I bumped into my buddy yesterday who had whole house Crestron put in recently and was talking about the superb whole house control, using the 'go to bed' macro as an example of how well it functions. I know that Control 4 has a lighting control feature(which the 'tight-arse' builder of my new 3 level apartment chose not to install a lighting system to be able to control) and more home automation in it but apart from that it just seems to be far more rudimentary, boring remote, and somewhat narrow in ultimate functionality. My feeling is if your going to have a more over-arching control system in house, then you might as well go for Crestron.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 09-10-2014 at 01:03 AM.
post #68 of 75 Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Just stumbled upon the thread. I just had a control 4 system put into a new HT/mediaroom and living room TV/hifi a few weeks ago. So far I'm not really big on it at all, it just seems way too dumbed down and locked off(and dealer configured) for the advanced HT enthusiast to enjoy using. I keep having to get the installers back just to add new sources and macros with their laptop programming software, only to discover there's still missing functionality.
While you will need to get the dealer back to add new sources (or at least to remote in to the system to do this if you connect them up so the system can discover them)
You can write your own macros and laptop programming software with Composer Home Edition (CHE)
http://www.control4.com/products/sof...r-home-edition
Control4® Composer Home Edition

Manage and personalize your Control4 system
  • Your System, Your Way. Set LED colors on lights and keypads, lighting levels, dimming speeds, thermostat schedule and custom one-touch buttons.
  • Personalized Entertainment. Easily manage your digital music and DVD collections with custom or automatically imported cover art, personal playlists and media sources.
  • Remote Management. Create email notifications for certain events, like when the doors are left open during the day or the water sensor in the basement is activated.
  • Lighting Scenes. Create and modify lighting, wake up and good night scenes that are customized especially for you.
  • Event Control. Use the Scheduler to program automatic events, like the exterior lights turn on at sunset and off at daybreak.
Quote:
Plus, the default towards not having direct replication of factory remotes built in is annoying, particularly when adjusting units like projectors. I keep having to reach for the factory remotes I find to do what I need. The control 4 seems to work great when I got the installers to 'idiot' test it with my much less savvy friend who will have access to the place from time to time. To me Control 4 feels like a 'hotel remote', where they don't want you touching anything in the system other than have the most basic controls at hand. I get more satisfaction out of the Harmony Ultimate system that runs my main HT room not at that location.
You have the 4 color buttons on the remote to add functionality you might need as a user function. Each of those would play out a macro of your choosing. Furthermore, proper programming should be setting that functionality automagically when you select a specific source for example. Maybe projector aspect ratios or modes etc.
Quote:
On the flip side I bumped into my buddy yesterday who had whole house Crestron put in recently and was talking about the superb whole house control, using the 'go to bed' macro as an example of how well it functions.
A go to bed macro is pretty easy to program with CHE. Also a keypad by the front door with a house off button is nice. All of this can be done in Composer Home and assigned to keypads, buttons on remotes etc.
Quote:
I know that Control 4 has a lighting control feature(which the 'tight-arse' builder of my new 3 level apartment chose not to install a lighting system to be able to control) and more home automation in it but apart from that it just seems to be far more rudimentary, boring remote, and somewhat narrow in ultimate functionality. My feeling is if your going to have a more over-arching control system in house, then you might as well go for Crestron.
Control4 lighting is retrofittable very easily. I would not call the builder tight arsed, the switches are $130-$200 each so putting them in on the offchance the buyer decides to go with Control4 is a pretty big ask. Do you have any automatic control of lighting already. If for example your builder put in Lutron Radio RA then they can be added to your Control4 system easily.
Your buddy with Crestron has had it properly professionally programmed, any macro changes he wants will also need to be programmed and compiled.
Control4 allows you to do this yourself if you wish. Good luck, I hope you work through this and get to a place the Control 4 system is doing what you want. How much did your Crestron buddy pay? How much have you invested so far. You should be able to switch out the light switches for Control4
http://www.control4.com/products/lighting
and get the functionality you want programmed (or do it yourself) pretty easy drag and drop programming interface, or pay your dealer, or use a dealer that works remotely (google neil12011) and email him for example and get what you want.
post #69 of 75 Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
While you will need to get the dealer back to add new sources (or at least to remote in to the system to do this if you connect them up so the system can discover them)
You can write your own macros and laptop programming software with Composer Home Edition (CHE)
http://www.control4.com/products/sof...r-home-edition
Control4® Composer Home Edition

Manage and personalize your Control4 system
  • Your System, Your Way. Set LED colors on lights and keypads, lighting levels, dimming speeds, thermostat schedule and custom one-touch buttons.
  • Personalized Entertainment. Easily manage your digital music and DVD collections with custom or automatically imported cover art, personal playlists and media sources.
  • Remote Management. Create email notifications for certain events, like when the doors are left open during the day or the water sensor in the basement is activated.
  • Lighting Scenes. Create and modify lighting, wake up and good night scenes that are customized especially for you.
  • Event Control. Use the Scheduler to program automatic events, like the exterior lights turn on at sunset and off at daybreak.
You have the 4 color buttons on the remote to add functionality you might need as a user function. Each of those would play out a macro of your choosing. Furthermore, proper programming should be setting that functionality automagically when you select a specific source for example. Maybe projector aspect ratios or modes etc.A go to bed macro is pretty easy to program with CHE. Also a keypad by the front door with a house off button is nice. All of this can be done in Composer Home and assigned to keypads, buttons on remotes etc.

Control4 lighting is retrofittable very easily. I would not call the builder tight arsed, the switches are $130-$200 each so putting them in on the offchance the buyer decides to go with Control4 is a pretty big ask. Do you have any automatic control of lighting already. If for example your builder put in Lutron Radio RA then they can be added to your Control4 system easily.
Your buddy with Crestron has had it properly professionally programmed, any macro changes he wants will also need to be programmed and compiled.
Control4 allows you to do this yourself if you wish. Good luck, I hope you work through this and get to a place the Control 4 system is doing what you want. How much did your Crestron buddy pay? How much have you invested so far. You should be able to switch out the light switches for Control4
http://www.control4.com/products/lighting
and get the functionality you want programmed (or do it yourself) pretty easy drag and drop programming interface, or pay your dealer, or use a dealer that works remotely (google neil12011) and email him for example and get what you want.
In this particular system, not one that at location I'm at more than couple of days in every 7-10, I'm not huge on the idea of having to sit down and write macros in the time that I'm there actually. That's as much as I love building and setting up and own multiple HTPCs, as well as standard PC's and laptops.

I think you are misunderstanding me regarding replication of factory remotes. Using the example of Sony projectors, I do need a macro as such, but I literally want to adjust a specific pic setting or say shift to 2:35 on the fly - no I don't want a macro for that in the projector mode or another mode created for that to happen. already. I just want to be able to hit the desired button or go into the proj's menu if and when needed. Another example would be for shifting over to 3D or wanting to swap to 'game' mode on the projector on the fly. For the time being I'm just finding it easier to pick up the Sony remote.

Re the builder, you don't even know the half of it as to why I call the builder a tight-arse(don't get me started on the massive 2 month fight I had just to get cable TV provisioned just from the curb to the apartment/townhouse's basement). I could give you a laundry list of items he skimped on in what is a multi-mil property. Things like no physical garage door button in the garage (I replaced entire chinese made door motor on advice of a competent door company), no power outlet in entire garage except on ceiling to power door (I had to pay electrician for one), no towel or toilet roll holders in any of 4 bathrooms. At the lesser end of the scale there's fact he admitted he could have easily provisioned a 'cheap' heater for the small pool, but made excuse about owners complaining about electricity bills ($5000+ for me to put a heat pump in last week) and lastly no lighting system in the place, just dozens of unmarked wall switches that drive me to distraction. I've also had both the electrician who provisioned all of the lighting for the complex, who's versed in Lutron and other systems tell me because builder cheaped it out it would now require the entire lighting to redone in order to fit a control system. Had the same advice from other electrician who fitted some extra lighting features chosen by the interior design company I used. Subsequently, as I wasn't going to give up on lighting systems at that stage, I had a good mate of mine's nephew come around last week while I was away who deals with home automation systems. He indicates there is a system that will work to give me lighting control finally. I am awaiting the details of it as the preliminary feedback was passed back through to me by his uncle.

As far as costs go, I'm awaiting a final bill for Programming, Project management, Cables & accessories and additional install items to come through next week after some final tidy up work is completed next week. As far as costs so far, because the installation was all encompassing by my A/V supplier, I don't have break downs of individual items such as the control4. The system was quoted by room for the most part. I have enough knowledge on the audio components to know what they roughly account for, but no idea what the: Control4 HC250 Controller, Control4 SR250 Handheld Remote x 3,Control4 HC800 System Controller work out at. The final bill for programming, etc will prob be a more relevant one to examine in the scheme of things for the Control4. In looking at that mate of mine's(more a friend of a friend) Crestron system, I have to say it was very much as passing exchange on automation. He's not a person I bump into or catch up with regularly enough to start asking what his Crestron cost him, although I'll try to ask next time I see him - he's def not afraid of spending though. Mind you, as person who's enjoyed putting together systems by hand for over 20 years, I certainly didn't hold back on my whole house budget for this brand new install.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 09-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.
post #70 of 75 Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In this particular system, not one that at location I'm at more than couple of days in every 7-10, I'm not huge on the idea of having to sit down and write macros in the time that I'm there actually. That's as much as I love building and setting up and own multiple HTPCs, as well as standard PC's and laptops.
You can program remotely with CHE. Of course you cannot see the effects until you get back on site.
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding me regarding replication of factory remotes. Using the example of Sony projectors, I do need a macro as such, but I literally want to adjust a specific pic setting or say shift to 2:35 on the fly - no I don't want a macro for that in the projector mode or another mode created for that to happen. already. I just want to be able to hit the desired button or go into the proj's menu if and when needed. Another example would be for shifting over to 3D or wanting to swap to 'game' mode on the projector on the fly. For the time being I'm just finding it easier to pick up the Sony remote.
List->house->custom buttons->Custom button title->then button will get you the ability to create the buttons you covet.
Equally you can program the RGBY buttons to say flip between 2.35 and 1.85 on the fly or to switch 3D on and off or Game mode.
Quote:
Re the builder, you don't even know the half of it as to why I call the builder a tight-arse(don't get me started on the massive 2 month fight I had just to get cable TV provisioned just from the curb to the apartment/townhouse's basement). I could give you a laundry list of items he skimped on in what is a multi-mil property. Things like no physical garage door button in the garage (I replaced entire chinese made door motor on advice of a competent door company), no power outlet in entire garage except on ceiling to power door (I had to pay electrician for one), no towel or toilet roll holders in any of 4 bathrooms. At the lesser end of the scale there's fact he admitted he could have easily provisioned a 'cheap' heater for the small pool, but made excuse about owners complaining about electricity bills ($5000+ for me to put a heat pump in last week) and lastly no lighting system in the place, just dozens of unmarked wall switches that drive me to distraction. I've also had both the electrician who provisioned all of the lighting for the complex, who's versed in Lutron and other systems tell me because builder cheaped it out it would now require the entire lighting to redone in order to fit a control system. Had the same advice from other electrician who fitted some extra lighting features chosen by the interior design company I used. Subsequently, as I wasn't going to give up on lighting systems at that stage, I had a good mate of mine's nephew come around last week while I was away who deals with home automation systems. He indicates there is a system that will work to give me lighting control finally. I am awaiting the details of it as the preliminary feedback was passed back through to me by his uncle.
Sounds like the Lutron guy is looking for a pay check. Seriously, replace all the swiches with Control 4 ones. You can even get them custom engraved so you know what each one does. Replace some of them with keypad dimmers and then you can program lighting scenes onto the keypad and forget about all the other annoying switches.
Quote:
As far as costs go, I'm awaiting a final bill for Programming, Project management, Cables & accessories and additional install items to come through next week after some final tidy up work is completed next week. As far as costs so far, because the installation was all encompassing by my A/V supplier, I don't have break downs of individual items such as the control4. The system was quoted by room for the most part. I have enough knowledge on the audio components to know what they roughly account for, but no idea what the: Control4 HC250 Controller, Control4 SR250 Handheld Remote x 3,Control4 HC800 System Controller work out at. The final bill for programming, etc will prob be a more relevant one to examine in the scheme of things for the Control4. In looking at that mate of mine's(more a friend of a friend) Crestron system, I have to say it was very much as passing exchange on automation. He's not a person I bump into or catch up with regularly enough to start asking what his Crestron cost him, although I'll try to ask next time I see him - he's def not afraid of spending though. Mind you, as person who's enjoyed putting together systems by hand for over 20 years, I certainly didn't hold back on my whole house budget for this brand new install.
HC250 = $750
SR250 = $300
HC800 = $1200
Programming = rate x hours.
Ask for a comp copy of CHE and go from there.
post #71 of 75 Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can program remotely with CHE. Of course you cannot see the effects until you get back on site.

List->house->custom buttons->Custom button title->then button will get you the ability to create the buttons you covet.
Equally you can program the RGBY buttons to say flip between 2.35 and 1.85 on the fly or to switch 3D on and off or Game mode.
Sounds like the Lutron guy is looking for a pay check. Seriously, replace all the swiches with Control 4 ones. You can even get them custom engraved so you know what each one does. Replace some of them with keypad dimmers and then you can program lighting scenes onto the keypad and forget about all the other annoying switches.

HC250 = $750
SR250 = $300
HC800 = $1200
Programming = rate x hours.
Ask for a comp copy of CHE and go from there.
I just heard back from my guy at the A/V company. His advice was very much along my original feelings about writing macros myself :
Quote:
"Making your own macro feature is only for the avid user who wants to play around. Things like 'if doorbell rings then execute pause on TV or light at front gate turn on' or 'at 6pm close blinds on east wall'"-I cant see you using this feature
I can't see coding the coloured buttons for various projector modes being really helpful, particularly if I've then got to recall what it is I each one represents function-wise. I can see myself getting pretty fed with that when I return to system after not using it for a week and am trying to recall which colour does say aspect and which does mode.

The 'Lutron' guy was just the original electrical contractor hired to do all of the electrical for the complex. He also does Clipsall CBUS lighting automation, etc. He just through out Lutron as a example of systems hes done. My a/v suppliers actually had quoted lighting control for control4, I reminded them of this yesterday and now they will be quoting for whole house control. I'm not wrapped at the estimate of $25K for it, esp after the amount I've already spent on the place in last 3 months..

post #72 of 75 Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just heard back from my guy at the A/V company. His advice was very much along my original feelings about writing macros myself :
So the guy who will bill you for writing the code instead says it is not a good idea for you to write your own code. OK, that makes sense for his checking account balance.

Quote:
I can't see coding the coloured buttons for various projector modes being really helpful, particularly if I've then got to recall what it is I each one represents function-wise. I can see myself getting pretty fed with that when I return to system after not using it for a week and am trying to recall which colour does say aspect and which does mode.
I was thinking more about this and I can see some of your examples make sense but others dont. For example turning the projector onto gaming mode. Well when you tell the C4 system you want to turn your xBox or whatever on then the system should send the gaming mode command to the projector.
Depending on your BD player and the functionality it presents, it could be telling the system if a 3d disk is put in the machine and to switch to 3d mode and so on.
Aspect ratios, well you have a point there but would it be so hard to have the red button cycle through the aspect modes and remember that?

Quote:
The 'Lutron' guy was just the original electrical contractor hired to do all of the electrical for the complex. He also does Clipsall CBUS lighting automation, etc. He just through out Lutron as a example of systems hes done. My a/v suppliers actually had quoted lighting control for control4, I reminded them of this yesterday and now they will be quoting for whole house control. I'm not wrapped at the estimate of $25K for it, esp after the amount I've already spent on the place in last 3 months..
Lutron control by C4
http://extravegetables.com/products/...adiora-classic
Clipsall CBUS
http://extravegetables.com/products/clipsal-c-bus
Control4 Dimmers are MSRP $180 a dimmer, switches, $140 and keypads $200 and Keypad Dimmers $250. Plus the sparkies time to replace the existing switch, the dealer time to connect it to the project and then some scene creation time (something you can modify on your own nicely with CHE). Your dealer should be willing to cut a break on MSRP for these if you are buying a whole house worth.

I dunno, it seems you are looking to bust on C4 and praise Crestron and not even consider advice from anyone other than your dealer and buddy. Good luck.
post #73 of 75 Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the guy who will bill you for writing the code instead says it is not a good idea for you to write your own code. OK, that makes sense for his checking account balance.
Nice assumption, perhaps that's true if he's really company-minded, as he's just an employ in the install division of the A/V firm I deal with. I do also respect his opinion for the most part, even if we haven't seem eye to eye all of the elements of the install he's been in charge of. Do I have the time to mess around with Composer HE in the time I'm at the apartment and most likely have my partner there with her daughter or possible entertaining people, answer pretty unlikely in 9/10 times I'm there.

Quote:
I was thinking more about this and I can see some of your examples make sense but others dont. For example turning the projector onto gaming mode. Well when you tell the C4 system you want to turn your xBox or whatever on then the system should send the gaming mode command to the projector.
Depending on your BD player and the functionality it presents, it could be telling the system if a 3d disk is put in the machine and to switch to 3d mode and so on.
Aspect ratios, well you have a point there but would it be so hard to have the red button cycle through the aspect modes and remember that?
Another good assumption re XBOX, but to be specific it is integration of PS4 - just a tad trickier to have Control4 turn on and off since it's proprietary BT, so I await how the installers handle that next week. I'd like Gaming mode to be a choice in this case, not an automatic thing as I could be using a streaming video service via the PS4 as well for example.

Bluray is Oppo BPD-105 so yes that is prob possible. Not so possible when I'm viewing a file in SBS-3D via the HTPC (something I do as often as watching 3D on Blu ray) and have to engage that specific type of 3D.

It is if you don't use the system every day and each of those colours represent say a different function on the projector. Also, plug my buddy into the situation or lets say girlfriend into it and watch them struggle with getting the projector into 2:35 when they go and want to watch a movie by themselves when I'm not around.

[
Quote:
Lutron control by C4
http://extravegetables.com/products/...adiora-classic
Clipsall CBUS
http://extravegetables.com/products/clipsal-c-bus
Control4 Dimmers are MSRP $180 a dimmer, switches, $140 and keypads $200 and Keypad Dimmers $250. Plus the sparkies time to replace the existing switch, the dealer time to connect it to the project and then some scene creation time (something you can modify on your own nicely with CHE). Your dealer should be willing to cut a break on MSRP for these if you are buying a whole house worth.

I dunno, it seems you are looking to bust on C4 and praise Crestron and not even consider advice from anyone other than your dealer and buddy. Good luck.

What do Lutron's and CBUS' integration with Control4 have to do with my houses lighting as it stands currently? I already explained clearly that the electrical contractor who install the whole of house lighting already quoted I couldn't go back and do Lutron or CBUS control systems unless I wanted to redo the entire houses' lighting - let me quantify the number thrown out there for that as well, $80k (same was said by the other electrician who worked on the place).

You seem to like to jump to the conclusions that I haven't had 'other advice' already. If you'd taken in what I'd said previously on board already regarding my good mate's nephew having been in to check out what could be done and fact I'm awaiting a quote instead of coming across like the oracle of home automation, you'd realise that I am looking at more solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozhdht
I had a good mate of mine's nephew come around last week while I was away who deals with home automation systems. He indicates there is a system that will work to give me lighting control finally. I am awaiting the details of it as the preliminary feedback was passed back through to me by his uncle.

post #74 of 75 Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Ok.
Those are some nice problems yo have.
The control4 retro fit lighting should suit your needs well.
post #75 of 75 Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I actually googled myself and came across this thread, I appreciate the shout-out sir. I think most people on the C4forums have seen my thread.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page