1Likes

post #61 of 66 Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

If I needed Crestron programmed professionally, and money was no object, I'd hire a Crestron programming firm where the guys do nothing but design and programming of HA systems. Those who do 1 thing can get very good at it, like in specialized medicine.

Some of the best installers use these national and international programming and design firms, developing good working relationships.

However, it may be challenging for the average homeowner to work directly with these firms. There is usually a knowledgeable installer acting as the middleman, to work out the hardware.

Your local installer may be able to sub out the programming (and system design) to one of these companies.

Usually very expensive, for specialized expertise.

Yes... your local dealer should have someone with the proper knowledge program you Crestron system if they are not able too. I disagree however about HA firms.  Being more than proficient in the ares that are under your systems control is the best way to do quality automation.  To be able to totally own the system should always be a positive for the client and dealer. A HA company should be a one stop shop.

Also, Control4 is capable of any HA system. 2k, 8k 16k sq ft... doesnt matter. Especially with it's newest products and panalized lighting, its a better option just based on cost alone.  The only real downfall is that lack of customization.. that for the most part is still irrelevant. A lot of custom interfaces look very bad and are confusing and cluttered.  These systems are supposed to simplify... and Control4s interface does great at that. Streamline no matter which interface you use.  Most poor experiences with C4 systems are on the installation and conception end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 04-15-2014, 12:54 PM

I see this topic has been idle a while but I'd like to ask couple of questions. I am looking at both for a DIY solution in my home. Building custom control programs is not an issue (I build software professionally) but I'm not looking to create something overly complex that requires a bunch of time to manage. When done, it needs to just work.

1. I have some Crestron devices but am extremely unhappy with the Crestron customization tools. I have access to all the Crestron tools and have worked a bit to customize a test panel I built but it seems to me they made this way more complex than it has to be. It is not at all straight forward and Crestron pricing is steep. I currently have an MC3 processor with a bunch of dimmers and keypads. Everything Zigbee. Anyway to use these devices with a Control 4 controller? I'm doing advanced lighting and some AV control; nothing too fancy (dim lights when starting movie for instance). Which of the many Crestron tools do you find the most useful for situations like this?

2. Swapping for Control 4 is still an option. The control/programming tools seem more intuitive and there seems to be enough capability there to do what I need. My recent stay at Aria makes me seriously doubt Control 4 as a platform though. The automation experience in that hotel is simply horrible. The bed-side panel is virtually worthless due to latency and in many cases multiple button presses were required to get something to work. I ended up abandoning the panel and just using the wall switches because they were at least more reliable although still slow. If this is typical of Control 4 then I have my answer. Similar experience with Crestron-controlled rooms (Revel) was MUCH better. Aria is using tech that's a couple years old so maybe things are better now?

Thanks in advance for any additional helpful advice.

Cheers,
Frank
post #63 of 66 Old 04-15-2014, 02:37 PM

Liked: 16
I've heard aria got a deal on older c4 hardware that was being phased out. It's a poor reflection on the product.

Control4 is not super DIY. You can program but cannot add hardware. You need a dealer to add hardware.
post #64 of 66 Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_W View Post

And well...Just Add Power works perfectly within the C4 system as an unlimited any-size custom matrix.
Videostorm NetPlay recently released and getting love in the C4 space is another good contender.
post #65 of 66 Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 AM

Crestron is AWFUL!!!

After 3 1/2 years of pathetic service and 4 different programmers our $150k Crestron Boat Anchor pile of garbage is worthless. It never worked correctly, and even when Crestron sent programmers from their regional HQ's from out of state to work on this system they still could not get a very simple system to work. We asked for lighting control, HVAC, House Sound, and TV Controls. What we got was a lighting system that was a fire hazard, HVAC running wild driving up our power bills, and horribly sporadic control of the sound systems and TV's, with horribly non responsive unreliable controls. Our iPads are the only control interfaces that were worth having!

YES installers make a difference and yes programmers make a difference, but apparently Crestron does not adequately Vet their retailers and uses them as an excuse to allow them to claim their systems are the best, but hey you could get a bad sales man or programmer. That is pathetic, and is the opposite of customer service! Crestron claims they are not at fault for allowing non certified companies to sell their products without adequate knowledge regarding how to design and install their systems, and that is absolutely ridiculous. Crestron claims their systems are the most flexible and able to do a lot of things, but I have yet to see their systems work correctly. "Programming" is a cop out for Crestron and Crestron Dealers.....

SHAME ON CRESTRON........BUY ANYTHING ELSE.......
post #66 of 66 Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerH1 View Post

Crestron is AWFUL!!!

After 3 1/2 years of pathetic service and 4 different programmers our $150k Crestron Boat Anchor pile of garbage is worthless. It never worked correctly, and even when Crestron sent programmers from their regional HQ's from out of state to work on this system they still could not get a very simple system to work. We asked for lighting control, HVAC, House Sound, and TV Controls. What we got was a lighting system that was a fire hazard, HVAC running wild driving up our power bills, and horribly sporadic control of the sound systems and TV's, with horribly non responsive unreliable controls. Our iPads are the only control interfaces that were worth having!

YES installers make a difference and yes programmers make a difference, but apparently Crestron does not adequately Vet their retailers and uses them as an excuse to allow them to claim their systems are the best, but hey you could get a bad sales man or programmer. That is pathetic, and is the opposite of customer service! Crestron claims they are not at fault for allowing non certified companies to sell their products without adequate knowledge regarding how to design and install their systems, and that is absolutely ridiculous. Crestron claims their systems are the most flexible and able to do a lot of things, but I have yet to see their systems work correctly. "Programming" is a cop out for Crestron and Crestron Dealers.....

SHAME ON CRESTRON........BUY ANYTHING ELSE.......

That is a real shame. I feel for you and do share some of your views about letting anyone sell their kit.

Do you have wiring schematics and the program for your place? I'd be happy to review free of any charge to see if there is anything obvious which could be done? I'm in the UK so am not touting for work I just hate to see someone with such a bad experience when I know systems should and can work properly.

I think the contact details are in my profile if you are interested.
SMHarman likes this.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page