Shades that automatically drop down at night? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking into shade control brand options for our future motorized shades. Instead of the light detection feature automatically closing during the day, I would want them to be open during the day for the scenic view and closed at night for privacy. I like the Somfy 24VDC RTS motor. However, the photocell control option for this the other way around, it opens at night.

Is there another option I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

lutron ra2 system with sivoia qs wireless shades.
Very flexible time clock including astronomic functions.
You would need to find a friendly installer for this.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
1. Use the sensor but set the up limit as the down limit and the down limit as the up limit, i.e. operate the motor in reverse and remember to use your remotes upside down.

2. Use timers

3. Use an additional control system where you can have program logic in between the sensors and the shades.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

lutron ra2 system with sivoia qs wireless shades.
Very flexible time clock including astronomic functions.
You would need to find a friendly installer for this.

What would happen with an unfriendly installer? :P
post #5 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I've been looking into the Lutron shades, although one thing about this brand is a huge turnoff - they restrict all the fancy parts and accessories to the dealers. I can order a Serena shade online, but it won't work with RA2 in the future. That would use a different motor that is a dealer-only product... The installation would be a super simple DIY project for the Sivoia QS Cellular Shade.. but only dealers can touch it. I also read discussion forum posts of people having a hard time getting RA2 software/firmware updates because that is also restricted to dealers. That is silly.

If I went with whatever brand I would probably still have a dealer install it, but it would be nice if I could order parts for it in the future without having to go through a dealer for every little nut and bolt.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

I went with Hunter Douglas. They've got a motorized system called PowerRise that is battery operated (the reason I went with it - no wires/retrofitting). The PowerRise shades are controlled by RF transmitter. They've also got a little device the Platinum RF Module (or something like that). It's a little dongle that plugs into a standard switched outlet. When the outlet has power, the shades rise; when it's off, they lower. I plugged the module into a Lutron lamp module which is then plugged into an outlet. I've got my Lutron system, which includes a bunch of lights and the one set of 4 shades, programmed to do different things at different times. I actually don't have my shades set to rise or lower at a particular time, but instead have them on various event buttons. So, for example, I've got a button called "Night". I hit that button on a Lutron keypad, or my iPad or my HAI OmniTouch keypad and the interior lights go out, certain exterior lights go on and the shades lower. When I hit the "Morning" button, the shades rise, the exterior lights go off and certain interior lights come on. I could do the shades on the Lutron clock but I like them more "manual". The nice thing about the Hunter Douglas system is that you've got more options on the shades, it can be powered by battery and it's cheaper than Sivoia. http://www.hunterdouglas.com/product-option.jsp?id=164

PS. You obviously wouldn't have to control the HD system via Lutron. Anything that can controll a standard outlet would work, including a good old timer.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hunter has finally come up with a simple system that works as you have described Saul. Best part is that they are affordable with a reasonable budget.

They are available not only in honeycomb (Cellular) but also roller shades and other types.

No wiring necessary, but if you want to eliminate the battery power, you can use a wall cube.

Batteries are supposed to last more than a year with one trip in each direction each day.

I've had one operating as you describe for 6 months or so now and it works great. I have mine programmed much as Saul does, but use Elve Software.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Add a relay. Or 2 if you need to invert the command.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
As stated, if you find a 'friendly' installer, you may get access to the programming software after the install. But, most will not provide it, as it may mean less future income.

The more experienced, better Installers are not hurting for business.

Most parts can be sourced online, but reprogramming may be an issue.

But honestly, how often are you going to change hardware? You can afford to make changes every 5 years.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

How does Lutron control access to the programming software? Is that some kind of software that runs on a PC and connects to the unit with a cable? I remember my Clifford car alarm had special software for programming only accessible to dealers but I got a copy from a friendly dealer, and I couldn't imagine using that alarm without access to those "advanced" settings.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 PM

The software communicates with the controller over IP. Nothing fancy. Lutron controlls acess by making it unavailable for download unless you have username and password. My installer downloaded the software on my home computer so that can make adjustments to the programming. I'm not sure that I agree with Neurorad that most will not provide it. I spoke to a few different sources and all of them seemed willing to give me access.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page