Have to make this work AND do it with what I have. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Situation, Must make a small 115 volt a/c unit for a equipment closet come back on after a power outage. A/C unit only has IR power toggle. I don't want to buy anything. I want to do this with what I have kicking around,

CNMSX Pro
ST-CS
digital thermostat

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

I don't want to buy anything.

I own a Ford Escape and would like it to go 150 without buying anything .

Get a cheap current sensor that plugs into the wall, then has an outlet that you plug the AC unit into, and a contact closure output that trips if the device plugged into it is not powered on. Wire the contact closure to one of the digital inputs on the Crestron processor. Program the IR output on the Crestron processor to send a power toggle command to the AC unit if it is not on. Of course you'll want to build some logic into that for all the obvious reasons.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Look...up in the sky.....it's a bird....it's a plane.....no it's David Haddad

I have been looking for a discrete ON. If I find one I'll just make that ole girl send a ON command every 15 minutes intil the sun stops shining

How ya been???

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"I own a Ford Escape and would like it to go 150 without buying anything"

You could shut the engine off, push it off a cliff and it will go 127 MPH with the best milage of it's life.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The digital thermostat doesn't have a setpoint that will stay in memory during a power outage?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 16
bigpapa, just a guess, but I'm thinking stefuel has a self-contained air conditioner that comes with a remote control that allows you to turn it on and off. And when it loses power it doesn't come back on, regardless of where the temp control was set. And I'm guessing that the digital thermostat is just an extra thermostat that he has available if it would help to fix the problem, but is not currently part of the system. Am I right stefuel?

Now granted, I suppose he could install the thermostat in the room, and if it reads a temperature that the room would never reach when the AC unit is working, it could send a toggle power to the unit. Then wait several minutes and see if the temp goes down. I don't think that's a very good solution but it could probably be made to work.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Do you happen to have a UPS in that closet, too?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post

bigpapa, just a guess, but I'm thinking stefuel has a self-contained air conditioner that comes with a remote control that allows you to turn it on and off. And when it loses power it doesn't come back on, regardless of where the temp control was set. And I'm guessing that the digital thermostat is just an extra thermostat that he has available if it would help to fix the problem, but is not currently part of the system. Am I right stefuel?

Now granted, I suppose he could install the thermostat in the room, and if it reads a temperature that the room would never reach when the AC unit is working, it could send a toggle power to the unit. Then wait several minutes and see if the temp goes down. I don't think that's a very good solution but it could probably be made to work.

Yep, that's it in a nutcase. However a better solution has been discovered.
Found a jumper on the circuit board that "inhibit auto recover" after power outtage. I'm going to have them pull the jumper and then trip the circuit breaker off and then on again to test it. This is about a thousand miles away. Who ever installed it was a meathead. It's a residential split-pack with a outside temperature thermistor. The compressor will not come on if it's below 55 degrees outside. Sorry folks a equipment closet don't give a rats backside what the outside temp is. It could be zero out and 90 degrees in that closet. Carrier infinity uses a 10K thermistor outside for the same reason. If you put a 10K resistor in place of it, it will fool the fool the infinity t-stat into thinking it's 77 degrees out and power up on demand regardless of outside temp.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page