Crestron Prodigy Composer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My sister passed along a Prodigy PMC3 system to me after moving into a new house with an existing system. In the little research I have done a good bit of bashing goes on for those seeking software. I respect Crestron for making the software dealer only as the programming revenue is nice to have (I am a small business owner myself). Unfortunately, there is not a local dealer within 5 hours to program the system for me. I certainly have no need or the intentions to learn the full blown crestron software package, rather just the basic prodigy composer wizard. All I am hooking up is my receiver, dvd, tv, and cable box. Do I even need the software for a basic setup. The only high end a/v store in town sells Control 4 but not Prodigy. Any ideas, help, or suggestions?

Thanks,

RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM

You need the software to do anything

You'll have to work with a Crestron programmer online and contract with them to do the work. If I were you, I would probably just sell the system on eBay and get something locally from someone you are more familiar with. Control4 or URC...
post #3 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The nearest dealer can probably program remotely.

Crestron does a good job of 'protecting' their dealers. It's one of the reasons that Crestron thrives in this environment of increasing online sales. Other local dealers get screwed by online purchasing, cutting out the middleman.

You may be able to find a local Crestron Prodigy-only dealer by calling AVAD, a nationwide storefront electronics distributor. Where are you located?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I am located in Baton Rouge LA. There is a local A/V store that deals with Control 4, but it is hard to pass on a free system. Moreover, when my Sister comes over I would feel like a dirt bag saying I sold it. Anyways, the remote programming option might be the way to go. Any recommendations and do I just plug it up to a network and let them rip?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the Crestron website, I see at least a couple dealers listed with a Baton Rouge address.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

The problem will not be programming the processor remotely, the problem will be downloading to the remote. That is something that needs to be done on site, as you need to have Crestron programs on the computer you are connecting the remote to download the file.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe that the entire programming process can be done remotely, although hardware must be wired correctly onsite.

I am not certain, though.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

No, you must have the remote connected to the computer with the crestron program. So while we can remote program the processor, touchpanels, keypads, we cannot remote in to a remote control.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
Crestron DMC-E
post #9 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, someone must physically plug in the remote to a PC, although my 4 year old could do that.

post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVS View Post

Thanks for the help. I am located in Baton Rouge LA. There is a local A/V store that deals with Control 4, but it is hard to pass on a free system. Moreover, when my Sister comes over I would feel like a dirt bag saying I sold it. Anyways, the remote programming option might be the way to go. Any recommendations and do I just plug it up to a network and let them rip?

You're going to feel like even more of a dirt bag when you realize you spent a ton more money to get this going than putting in another system, just to keep your sis happy.

In Baton Rouge, I can't imagine there aren't a handful of Crestron dealers. However, programming will be expensive, and with Crestron can be quite extensive too.

Not to turn this into a Crestron/C4/etc type discussion, but Prodigy is fairly limited in what it can do compared to C4. Full blown Crestron is different as these usually come with bigger programming budgets to be able to do a lot of other cool things. C4 comes with a ton of stuff right out of the box. Media streaming, on screen display, movie management, etc, all built-in.

So.....save yourself the headache imo.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Yes, someone must physically plug in the remote to a PC, although my 4 year old could do that.

The problem is that we cannot give the Crestron software to the end user, so he could not load the program to the remote. So no software, no uploading to the remote.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
Crestron DMC-E
post #12 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The programmer 'remotes into' the client's dedicated PC, and downloads the sw to it.

I'm not saying it's a good solution for anyone, just that it is feasible.

The dealer provides important value-added service - system design and installation.

A tech-savvy client and a motivated CAIP could make it work, but it takes a lot of time, and much greater expense.

post #13 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The limited single room narrow scope of the OP would fit well with a 'free' Prodigy system.

So, a local Prodigy or Crestron dealer sends a tech over for half a day to set it up, and charges labor, maybe at time and a half. If the dealer isn't able to keep his guys busy all day, every day, it may be a good fit.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

For Composer, the cost of the remote setup would be more than the hardware, if purchased at MSRP.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM

I'm located in Baton Rouge and I'm a Crestron Programmer. Hit me up via PM and I'll see what I can do for you.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM

I ve been asked to help get an old prodigy PMC+ system running. The docs state to download the composer software from crestron website. Hpwever, it's a dead link. The support I got from crestron was not at all helpful, and the other AV people I know aren't familiar with it. But since all we need is the composer software to actually get this product working, I 'd appreciate if anyone can push it to me. The ipad download won't work without the composer set up on the PMC2+/PMC3.
and that was a $100.00 deal that won't work without the setup.

Thanks to all replies.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by partridgewest View Post

I ve been asked to help get an old prodigy PMC+ system running. The docs state to download the composer software from crestron website. Hpwever, it's a dead link. The support I got from crestron was not at all helpful, and the other AV people I know aren't familiar with it. But since all we need is the composer software to actually get this product working, I 'd appreciate if anyone can push it to me. The ipad download won't work without the composer set up on the PMC2+/PMC3.
and that was a $100.00 deal that won't work without the setup.

Thanks to all replies.

Are you a dealer? As mentioned earlier, this software is unavailable to people who aren't dealers. Programming Crestron isn't simple drag/drop etc....
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page