Want to use Lear Car2U buttons in new F-150 to turn on outside floodlights - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start by admitting upfront that I don't know the first thing about home automation. Having said that, I would like to figure out a way to use one of the buttons on the Car2U system in my 2012 Ford F-150 to toggle on/off an exterior floodlight in my driveway.

Looking at the Lear Car2U site gives very little information, but references a device called a Wireless Gateway Module Part #WDHA-12L to presumably translate the Car2U signal into something that can be used on a Z-Wave system.

A google search for that part number yields references to the Wayne-Dalton garage door company, but their web site doesn't seem to mention anything about wireless gateway components.

Z-Wave's web site mentions the gateway as well, but doesn't provide a lot of detail. And the manufacturer's link they provide just goes back to the main Wayne-Dalton home page.

Let's assume for a second that I am able to get my hands on this gateway device -- what then? I suppose I need some base kit from Z-Wave as well as a Z-Wave component to activate the light, is that correct?

Sorry this is vague, I really am a newbie at this.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE: I found another gateway product made by Cooper Wiring Devices that appears to be aesthetically identical to the Wayne-Dalton gateway that Lear points to for this purpose. Reading the manual for the Cooper device, it mentions that it receives the Lear Car2U signals as well as HomeLink and others. So I may be onto something here.

So since my question was probably too specific before, let me try a more general question about how this kind of thing might work. In my mind, it seems like I will press the Car2U button in my truck and that will send an RF signal to the gateway, the gateway will convert that signal to something readable by some Z-Wave controller, and the Z-Wave controller will send a signal to the Z-Wave module that will turn the floodlight on or off. Is that pretty much how it works, or have I missed a step? And what are the potential stumbling blocks I might encounter in putting this thing together?

Thanks!
Mark
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page