Dimmer tabs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two dimmers and a switch in a three gang box. The tabs on the sides of the dimmers are overlapping as usual and I would like to snap them off. Can this be done or are they valuable in some respect? I really want the three pieces to lay down nicely in the box and they're just not playing nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 263
They are there as part of the heatsink. If you derate the dimmer a bit (i.e. if it's a 600 watt dimmer, load it no more than 400) you should be fine. Usually the instruction sheet that comes with them will tell you this, too. You could also just put the switch in the middle if it's not a 'Futura' style switch.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The tabs are heatsinks to allow heat dissipassion, so they serve a purpose. I say don't snap the whole tab off but just cut it enough (with dremel?) so they don't overlap.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Google for the dimmer install manual. It will include specific instructions as to when those tabs can be removed, and how.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

The tabs are heatsinks to allow heat dissipassion, so they serve a purpose. I say don't snap the whole tab off but just cut it enough (with dremel?) so they don't overlap.

The tabs are usually scored at the correct place to break them off - this is done so multiple devices can fit side by side - but snapping off the tabs lowers the rating of the device - the install sheet should tell you how much.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I thought maybe heat would play a role there. I'll dig up rating info and/or just move the switch to the middle as addressed above. Maybe that's the easiest. Side note, I did notice a dimmer and fan switch that was installed by the builder and it had tabs snapped off in one side. So, it still had tabs on the outside for heat.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it's a 600 for example, it derates to 500 with one side off or 400 with 2 sides off. Even dimmers without tabs derate in the presence of other dimmers in the same box as the heat transfers regardless.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

^^ Yes I saw this in the tabs the other day. It defeated to 400W I think in a three gang box. There's only 4 50W halogens on it so I think it's fine. I'm going to try to swap the order first before taking tabs off.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page