Need Help: Non-Monitored Security systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I just moved to a new house and I am looking at adding to my existing security system (which I think is a GE Networx), or putting in a completely new system. I am a total noob when it comes to security systems as I have never had one before and I am looking for some direction.

Here is a quick list of things that I wish my system to support.

- I do not want a monitoring company. I believe that it is a waste of money and will eventually end up calling the Police due to a false alarm one day.
- If my alarm is tripped, I want to be alerted by email/SMS, notifying to me which sensor has set off the alarm.
- Instead of having keypads at each door, a wireless keyfob to arm/disarm would be nice.

Notes:
- All of my doors and windows have already been wired with sensors
- Motion sensors also been pre-wired in

My background:
I am an IT pro so I am quite familiar with getting my hands dirty and setting up complex systems.

So, where should I start looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Take a look at the Elk M1 Gold and the HAI OmniPro II.

Cocoontech forums are a good resource for alarm DIY. The General Security subforum is the place to start. The Elk and HAI subforums, hidden in the Marketplace section, are where to look next.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
I know my GE concord 4 can send out pages with the core system and emails if you buy an add-on card (or attach a home automation system with that function). You can likely get it to do what you want assuming you have all the codes (dealer, installer, etc).

Dave
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What Neurorad said - you cannot go wrong with either of them.

There are some subtle differences which may make a difference to you.

For instance the HAI has a built-in network port plus a number of built-in serial ports.

To get a network port on the ELK you need a add-on card which connects to the one-and-only built-in serial port.

The slight issue here is that for certain application you have to have access to the ELK serial port which means you cannot have a network port.

With the HAI since they are built-in and separate you always have both the network and serial port.

This is the sort of differences you will encounter - small but sometimes significant.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Being that you aren't Doug any automation, a dsc panel could also work and is likely less expensive.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There is more online support, for installation and troubleshooting, for HAI and Elk, compared with DSC.

But yes, DSC would be cheaper. I don't know if it supports email notifications, but I'm guessing it does.

Read the manual(s) closely before purchasing any system.

You'll likely find additional uses for the HA aspects of the Elk and HAI panels.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 11
I still say that he should check the installer manuals because his existing system may be able to fulfill his needs. If he determines that he needs (or wants) the additional functionality of the hai , elk (they're both quality units), or even a dsc, then consider those. If it turns out he doesn't need a new system then he will saved a good deal of coin. I know GE has systems that meet his needs but I'm just not sure about his particular model.

I'm not disagreeing with anything that anyone has posted but I just haven't seen anything that indicates that he has explored the capabilities of his current system. With his background, the manuals shouldn't be intimidating. A few minutes can get him the info he needs.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page