DIY Home Automation with Security (Z-Wave) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done a lot research about the several systems for home automation and I am deciding to go the DIY route because of the lower costs and expandability.
Currently, I am an ADT customer, however, I will be moving soon and this plan is for my new home. We're still in the process of looking, but the system will be the same in any house.

First, I need a security system. I am leaning towards Front Point. ADT is OK, but FrontPoint has better ratings, cheaper, more open about everything including compatibility. The biggest plus is the Simon Xt with the GSM/Z-wave module. This is where it get's hairy. I want an ENTIRe home automation system, but I am not sure if I want the security system and alarm.com as my main controller. If I want to take advantage of the door locks, thermostats, lights, I would pay slightly more and I fear I would be limited in programming and plugins. I do like the fact that alarm.com allows me to arm and disarm my system.

Next, I am also considering the Mi Casa Verde Vera as the main controller. This allows me free control of my system outside of the house. I can turn up the thermostat, roll the blinds, open locks etc. They do not have a list of limited devices as most of them work on their platform.

Here's the problem. I would love to save on my monitoring and have everything routed through the Vera. Can I make this happen? For those of you who have a Front Point system, can I program complex scenarios like I would be able with the Vera? Is there a possibility of having ALL my devices on the Vera and in the case that the alarm is tripped, armed, and disarmed, I can have different scenes for these events?

I will be using the Irule remote to control my A/V. I want to tie everything in, except the security system probably, into the remote. I think that Irule can talk to the Vera through HTTP gateway.

In Summary:
I want to arm/disarm my system remotely.
I want to set off scenes triggered by events FROM my alarm system.
I want a controller capable of many plugins/complexity and not limited on compatibility.
IRule compatibility

I am afraid that the FrontPoint system with alarm.com will limit me to a thermostat, lights, alarm, and locks. If I wanted shades, for example, to close every night I think I would need the Vera system. I am not sure if the Irule remote can control my scenes/lights/thermostat that's embedded on the Security System.
I fear that once I change security system providers anytime in the future, I will also loose all my home automation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Rockstar...old post, but I didn't see a reply or update.  What did you end up doing?  I'm looking to do the same thing...use Vera for home automation control, but want security monitoring too.  Thanks!

post #3 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You could potentially use the Vera for security monitoring and set up scenes based on door triggers, motion detectors, etc. Vera also directly integrates with a few security systems as well. What I have is a PowerMax system that is integrated into my Vera. So I can separately control my security system using the alarm controller (and my alarm is also has central monitoring) and/or control my Alarm via Vera. Vera can see the status of my alarm (armed away, home, disarmed) that status of my sensors (motion, door open, etc.) and can trigger events off of those sensors as well. I can arm/disarm via Vera or via my security system.

So there are a couple of route you can take with Vera. I took the route I took because I had the Powermax security system setup long before I ever bought the Vera.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Don't a lot of guys on the MCV forum use DSC alarm systems?

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't spend a lot of time on those forums, but yes I've seen those used and there is a plugin for DSC alarm systems.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'd go with an ELK M1 gold

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page