Control 4 VS Elan G! - New system install..Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to home automation and looking to install one of these systems in my house.

I would like to eventually build the system to run the below. I want a system that is simple to operate, stable, but flexible when changing minor details(lighting timers, schedules, ect..) Just moved, and I am coming off a full house Bose lifestyle system in the old house with LCD remotes and would like to control media like this but be able to offer the automation side in a all in one package. House is roughly 5,500 sf.

-4 to 7 cameras
-Garage and Door locks
-2 full home theater systems
-Digital media storage
-Additional 4-5 tv's
-10 to 15 speakers throughout
-Various lighting/dimming throughout
-3 zones (HVAC)
-Option for pool and irrigation.

Would like to view and control automation while away for security purposes on i-pad/i-phone.

I have received a proposal from two separate authorized control 4 and elan G! dealers both ranging in the $20-30k mark. I have tried reading numerous articles and forums on these systems while coming up short when looking for a true comparison.

Again, mainly focused on which system will offer a better foundation and be stable.

Please list pros and cons of each system and offer your advice.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I personally haven't used either in my home, but be sure to take into account the quality of the installation company. Speak with references, if possible. Hopefully, it's a long term relationship.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I HAVE NOT USED C4.

That said I have used the Elan g! system. I am totally satisfied.

I good friend of mine is a dealer for C4 and says good things about it.

I don't think you could go wrong with either BUT as Neurorad said perhaps the most important issue is the quality of the installer.

Unless you can talk the dealer into letting you have access to the configuration tools you are dependent on them for changes (other then schedules). That could get expensive.

So you may want to find out what you can and cannot do, on your own, with each system.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I haven't used either, but I'm in the same boat and researching both for my home. If you search around, you will find negative posts about both, and in nearly every case, it was a poor installer that caused the problem. Both systems are capable of what you want, but as Neurorad said, find a good installer, as that will be the difference between success and failure. Control 4 has a little more history than Elan g!, though the g! system was built-up from the Home Logic automation systems Elan acquired a few years ago, so you could make the argument both have been around for quite a while. Both have similar default interfaces and control equipment. Really, they appear (on the surface) to be quite similar. One edge I am giving Control 4 in my analysis is that they offer Composer Home Edition, which allows the homeowner to make a number of modifications to lighting, alerts, etc (you just cannot add devices without your dealer). I don't recall seeing anything on the g! side that is comparable.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeradn325 View Post

I am new to home automation and looking to install one of these systems in my house.

I would like to eventually build the system to run the below. I want a system that is simple to operate, stable, but flexible when changing minor details(lighting timers, schedules, ect..) Just moved, and I am coming off a full house Bose lifestyle system in the old house with LCD remotes and would like to control media like this but be able to offer the automation side in a all in one package. House is roughly 5,500 sf.

-4 to 7 cameras

-Garage and Door locks

-2 full home theater systems

-Digital media storage

-Additional 4-5 tv's

-10 to 15 speakers throughout

-Various lighting/dimming throughout

-3 zones (HVAC)

-Option for pool and irrigation.

Would like to view and control automation while away for security purposes on i-pad/i-phone.

I have received a proposal from two separate authorized control 4 and elan G! dealers both ranging in the $20-30k mark. I have tried reading numerous articles and forums on these systems while coming up short when looking for a true comparison.

Again, mainly focused on which system will offer a better foundation and be stable.

Please list pros and cons of each system and offer your advice.

Thanks!

We use C4 and love it. Get a good dealer/installer all will be awesome...
Get a bad dealer/installer look out.

We have a great relationship with our dealer and have no issues...

Make sure you tell them what you want now and in the future this will save you money in the long run.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics