General Question on remotely connecting to a thermostat. - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home Automation > General Question on remotely connecting to a thermostat.

Home Automation

fcwilt's Avatar fcwilt
08:38 AM Liked: 24
post #31 of 39
05-22-2012 | Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

OK. So if I enter port 6280 on my router's port forwarding page, the address I type on my browser to access my thermostat is simply blandolodge:6280? Is this correct? Or blandolodge.dlinkdns:6280?

Do i enter the port number (6280) in UDP or TCP PORT box on the router's port forwarding page?

Thanks!

Web servers use a TCP connection - so that's the box you want to fill.

Regards security - yes it is a concern - but if you are content to be able to control your vacation home from your primary home (as opposed to using, say, a smart phone) then security can easily be provided by using suitable "routers". Some "routers" can establish a "site to site" VPN - so then any communication from one site to the other is secured and you don't have to make any changes/settings/etc to individual computers or applications.
thebland's Avatar thebland
09:11 AM Liked: 172
post #32 of 39
05-22-2012 | Posts: 24,045
OK. I'm installing the thermostat this Friday. I'll fill in as described. Thanks for all your help!

Jeff
07:17 AM Liked: 172
post #33 of 39
05-26-2012 | Posts: 24,045
OK. Up at my place. Have the thermostat installed and it is showing that it is connected to the internet. BTW - I changed my name - it is not 'blandolodge' to try and keep the hackers out!!

Here is how I have port forwarding set and dyndns filled in on my router (below) and the dyndns.com set up page

(on the DynDNS page, I have 'blandolodge' typed in and for the IP address, I am using 192.168.0.xxx for the thermostat which is what it is showing on the router's status page.

I typed in 'blandolodge:6280' but no response in the browser.

Thoughts? ON the Router's DYNDNS page (middle jpeg belo: I wasn't sure if the username or HOST name is correct? Guessed on username or should I change host name to 'blandolodge.dyndns.com?

Thanks guys!!!
LL
LL
LL
fcwilt's Avatar fcwilt
09:02 AM Liked: 24
post #34 of 39
05-26-2012 | Posts: 1,145
OK I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Regards setting up the DYN DNS server:

The IP address that is associated with your desired HOST name is your current WAN IP ADDRESS. It is NOT, I repeat, NOT the IP address of your thermostat or any device on your LAN.

IT IS YOUR CURRENT WAN IP ADDRESS.

Before you try to get port forwarding working you need to get the DYN DNS working.

To check that it is working you can use the Windows command line tool I mentioned "nslookup".

You can also see on the DYN DNS setup page on your router that the HOST name is marked as invalid. When your DYN DNS setup is correct this should report that HOST name is valid.

Now regards port forwarding. In one post you showed the "routers" "port forwarding" setup page and on anther post you showed the "virtual server" setup page.

Which approach are you using?

After I know that we can continue.
10:47 AM Liked: 172
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

OK I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Regards setting up the DYN DNS server:

The IP address that is associated with your desired HOST name is your current WAN IP ADDRESS. It is NOT, I repeat, NOT the IP address of your thermostat or any device on your LAN.

IT IS YOUR CURRENT WAN IP ADDRESS.

Before you try to get port forwarding working you need to get the DYN DNS working.

To check that it is working you can use the Windows command line tool I mentioned "nslookup".

You can also see on the DYN DNS setup page on your router that the HOST name is marked as invalid. When your DYN DNS setup is correct this should report that HOST name is valid.

Now regards port forwarding. In one post you showed the "routers" "port forwarding" setup page and on anther post you showed the "virtual server" setup page.

Which approach are you using?

After I know that we can continue.

. Success! Now need to connect.

I saw that but my HOST IP address that is listed on the dyndns page is the same as my WAN IP address - so I thought to add the other address. But you were right! So, I entered that address into the 'New IP address' line and it now shows I'm connected on the DYNDNS page on my router! So, I didn't try the 'nslookup' as it seems I'm connected.

Now. What web address to connect to the thermostat? I tried blandolodge:6280... But perhaps the error is in the port forwarding. You can see in the below attachment my port forwarding set up.

*I have the port forwarding page in use - an error with posting the virtual port page.

Thanks for your patience!
LL
fcwilt's Avatar fcwilt
12:42 PM Liked: 24
post #36 of 39
Sometimes I don't think you read my postings completely.

Look back at the DYN DNS setup page. After the place where you entered your HOST name you had a place where (I'm guessing) you selected dlinkddns.com - or perhaps that was the default.

In any case the entire thing "blandolodge.dlinkddns.com" is what maps to your WAN IP address.

You should try to use the Windows command line nslookup to verify that it works.

All you need to do is start nslookup and a command window will open. Type in "blandolodge.dlinkddns.com" (without the "s) and see if you don't get a response showing your WAN IP address.

OK now on to port forwarding. The HOST name gets the outside world to the WAN port on your router. The PORT NUMBER is what tells your router what device on your LAN to connect to.

So in the web browser you would enter blandolodge.dlinkddns.com:6280

That should get the browser connected to the web server inside your thermostat.

Try that and get back to me.
03:26 PM Liked: 172
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Sometimes I don't think you read my postings completely.

Look back at the DYN DNS setup page. After the place where you entered your HOST name you had a place where (I'm guessing) you selected dlinkddns.com - or perhaps that was the default.

In any case the entire thing "blandolodge.dlinkddns.com" is what maps to your WAN IP address.

You should try to use the Windows command line nslookup to verify that it works.

All you need to do is start nslookup and a command window will open. Type in "blandolodge.dlinkddns.com" (without the "s) and see if you don't get a response showing your WAN IP address.

OK now on to port forwarding. The HOST name gets the outside world to the WAN port on your router. The PORT NUMBER is what tells your router what device on your LAN to connect to.

So in the web browser you would enter blandolodge.dlinkddns.com:6280

That should get the browser connected to the web server inside your thermostat.

Try that and get back to me.

Ok, we're progressing (and I'm reading more thoroughly)...

When trying blandolodge.dlinkddns.com:6280, I a new page loads that only says 'Redirecting you to http://blandolodge.dlinkddns.com:6280/'. It sits on that redirect page and then times out (stuck sending request).

When trying the NSLOOKUP, below is what I get when entering: blandolodge.dlinkddns.com

Non-authoratative answer:
Name: blandolodge.dlinkddns.com
Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XX (my WAN IP address)

Port forwarding issue? IP issue? My status in the DLINK Router DYNDNS page still says, 'connected'.

Thanks!
04:07 PM Liked: 172
post #38 of 39
GOT IT!!

I was getting the above errors when connecting via my Macbook (wifi). Mind you I'm at the house this weekend with the thermostat... But then I decided to try my iphone but using AT&T's 3G network (wifi off) and successfully connected using the DYN DNS address!

Typing in the thermostat's IP address (192.168.0.xxx) gets me in via wifi.

Thanks so much!! you've gone beyond the call of duty in spoon feeding me. I really appreciate it!!
fcwilt's Avatar fcwilt
04:44 PM Liked: 24
post #39 of 39
Great! Glad to hear it.

You do have to be aware if you are connecting via your LAN (as your Macbook did) or from outside via the HOST:PORTNUMBER approach - as you have found out.

Some fancier routers handle this for you. That is so say, you can always use HOST:PORTNUMBER approach to connect. They are just "smart" enough to know what you are trying to connect to and make the correct connection for you.

Have fun!

Reply Home Automation

Subscribe to this Thread