Lutron RA2 "could not download system configuration" error? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This puzzled the dealer so he's coming back next week and this is keeping me from playing with the new system on my iPhone. When I add the system to the Lutron iPhone app and tap on the system name it says "Downloading System Configuration" briefly and then I get the error "Could not download system configuration. Please contact the system installer."

The main repeater is assigned 192.168.1.101 on my DHCP network. It is detected in the app, so it lets me enter the username/pw and login works fine (if it didn't login it would pop up a bad username/pw error). I already tried power cycling all of my home network equipment.

I read on the forums this could have something to do with the way the installer transfer the Lutron SW onto the unit. I am not sure if that applies in my particular case. I want to help him figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Lutron tech support says that this is because in order for the iPhone/iPad app to work, the RA2 must be configured on a static IP, not using the default DHCP. I will inform the installer. Thumbs up for Lutron tech support answering the phone quickly on a Saturday evening.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Your lutron dealer must be using very old software, because the last few verisons
including 5.0.8 and 5.0.10 require a static address on the master repeater and
won't program the system without it. Same thing with 5.5.4

You should probably go to the 1 day training session, and then you will have access
to the software and be able to configure and reconfigure the system yourself.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

That's strange, the Lutron tech support rep made it sound like this limitation applies to all versions.

I think I saw 5.5.4 on the dealer's laptop screen (if I remember correctly). Do you mean that 5.5.4 is "really old"? Could you tell me the latest version so I can check it against his version next time he comes over?

I see some courses listed on the Lutron website entitled "RadioRA® 2 Preferred Systems Provider Accreditation Training" and "RadioRA 2 Preferred System Provider Training." If I sign up for one of these, is it free, and when I get there are they going to ask if I'm a dealer or be cool with the fact that I'm just an end-user?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Don't ask, don't tell.

And, keep your mouth shut at training.

And, don't bother tech support with questions. Figure it out yourself, or ask in forums.

The training is for installers only.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

That's strange, the Lutron tech support rep made it sound like this limitation applies to all versions.

I think I saw 5.5.4 on the dealer's laptop screen (if I remember correctly). Do you mean that 5.5.4 is "really old"? Could you tell me the latest version so I can check it against his version next time he comes over?

I see some courses listed on the Lutron website entitled "RadioRA® 2 Preferred Systems Provider Accreditation Training" and "RadioRA 2 Preferred System Provider Training." If I sign up for one of these, is it free, and when I get there are they going to ask if I'm a dealer or be cool with the fact that I'm just an end-user?

Lutron PSP training is for the inclusive software, which allows connection of 2 main repeaters with up to 200 devices. In order to enroll in this program you need to show receipts for at least three completed projects and have completed basic training. Blast training qualifies you for the essentials software.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good insider info Neurorad and Sequoiadave, thanks. How stripped down is the "essentials" software for the typical home user?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

5.5.4 is the current version and is the first version without the "Beta" in
the logo. essentials is the same as inclusive except for 100 device limit.
repeaters and vcrx among others count as more than 1 device.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

Good insider info Neurorad and Sequoiadave, thanks. How stripped down is the "essentials" software for the typical home user?

Essentials will do everything one needs to configure, program and integrate to IOS for a system up to 100 devices. Inclusive allows shade programming and devices to 200.
Reply Home Automation