Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradKas View Post

If you have such a hard-on over the whole thing why don't you buy a DIY lighting control system?

I have installed many systems over the years and this network issue has never cropped up with a single client. If you want a certain feature within a DIY system then use that system - there are no perfect solutions, even for installers.

What does your dealer do when you, the client, has too much control and breaks the system? Roll a truck for free?

You must see this is a double edge sword from the dealer, and Lutron's perspective.

If the homeowner can have enough control to add another login for a new iPad, or adjust the timercontrol events so that something turns on at 5pm instead of 8pm, there is nothing for you dealers to worry about. This idea of having such absolute control to babysit the homeowner over every little setting is going to drive away customers (like me) to other products.

If you're wondering why I'm not using another product (yet) it's because it's not so easy to uninstall the Lutron components considering all the labor involved. The thing is that I didn't do enough research to read other homeowner's experiences about being locked out of the system settings. My intent is to help educate so people can make more informed decisions before purchasing.

Another reason I haven't removed the Lutron system is because I like the industrial design and the artistry that goes into the Lutron RA2 products. It blends very nicely with the interior decor. So in a way, I'm putting up with the nonsense to have nice looking devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

I'm not worked up, instead I return the favor to the forum community to cut through marketing BS and tell the real world experience. I personally like truth, science, facts and I'm NOT the only real homeowner expressing bewilderment about this lack of control over the system.

Hmm... facts? Or just your interpretation? Dressing it up with rhetoric doesn't change the fact it's opinion. Everyone has an opinion, and you've made yours clear.

A handful of switches with questionable installation steps doesn't really make for much 'experience'. Yes, something happened, but it's hard to argue that's some sort of regular experience everyone is going to encounter. Clearly picking an installer that has sufficient experience is important, but that's true of any products in this category.

If anything you've shown it's not a DIY setup and treating it as such is likely to meet with dissatisfaction. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.
post #63 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

A handful of switches with questionable installation steps doesn't really make for much 'experience'. Yes, something happened, but it's hard to argue that's some sort of regular experience everyone is going to encounter. Clearly picking an installer that has sufficient experience is important, but that's true of any products in this category.

If anything you've shown it's not a DIY setup and treating it as such is likely to meet with dissatisfaction. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

I don't know what installation you're talking about (an imaginary one?) because mine was done by an experienced authorized Lutron dealer. We ran into quirks that are not his fault at all, but rather designed into the product. The issue here is not about DIY vs. dealer installation, but rather the issue is homeowner ability to manage automation settings after the dealer leaves the house. Lutron designed it to "call the electrician to plug the toaster into a different kitchen outlet" if I can use an analogy. Even if something is installed professionally the homeowner should be able to manage certain settings that are user preferences (timer settings) or that are interdependent with other homeowner managed devices that tend to change (logins for iPad, home network). What has that got to do with DIY? Very little. Instead it's about homeowner ability to manage settings that could be affected by other consumer devices, after it is professionally installed.
post #64 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Installer experience isn't just physically putting in equipment. It's understanding the product line as a whole. Clearly yours didn't. But then perhaps they were used to doing full installations not just a handful of switches. Neither way looks good.

Your analogies are weak, at best.
post #65 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Installer experience isn't just physically putting in equipment. It's understanding the product line as a whole. Clearly yours didn't. But then perhaps they were used to doing full installations not just a handful of switches. Neither way looks good.

Your analogies are weak, at best.

No, my dealer does understand the Lutron product line. The dealer and his company are very good. I'm making my own independent observations based on the inherent design of the product.

Lutron can fix this, and if someone from Lutron happens to come across this thread, here's an opportunity. Create a software tool for the homeowner so that the homeowner can change the IP address if needed. The tool should also allow the homeowner to edit telnet logins for iPhones/iPads, and to edit the Timercontrol settings if the homeowner wants to change the time when the lights turn on and off.

Even if Lutron gave the homeowner such basic management access, they could still make the ability to add new Lutron devices a dealer-only capability in order to prevent DIY. I am OK with that. But it is ridiculous to prevent the homeowner from managing their own system when other consumer devices (network router, iPhone, etc.) require a setting change.
post #66 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 PM

I've sold a ton of Lutron systems. I've sold a ton of networks. Usually together. I can probably count on one hand the number of customers who have asked for this type of access and that I've allowed it. We normally don't let customers have access to the network. THere's nothing worse than someone screwing themselves up, insisting I immediately get someone there to fix it, then argue over the bill. No thanks.
post #67 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, my dealer does understand the Lutron product line. The dealer and his company are very good. I'm making my own independent observations based on the inherent design of the product.

Again with the rhetoric. Inherent design? Cue up the Princess Bride quote...

Quote:

Lutron can fix this, and if someone from Lutron happens to come across this thread, here's an opportunity. Create a software tool for the homeowner so that the homeowner can change the IP address if needed. The tool should also allow the homeowner to edit telnet logins for iPhones/iPads, and to edit the Timercontrol settings if the homeowner wants to change the time when the lights turn on and off.

Here's what this mythical person can do, work with their installing dealer and Lutron to get training and tools necessary to do more than the basic stuff. Or plan for and purchase a well-designed and comprehensive system to start with. Set, forget and move on.
post #68 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:

By the way we found the fix, unrelated to IP addressing. The installer had to add one of the physical button keypads to the configuration even though the iPhone and iPad is my only keypad so far.

Each iPhone/iPad requires a separate telnet login. If I buy a new iPad then only the dealer can add it to the system. I feel so protected from myself.

You can up to ten telnet addresses in your programing. If you get a new IOS you simply need to match one of the telnet ID's in add system to operate a new device. No installer necessary.
post #69 of 69 Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Even if Lutron gave the homeowner such basic management access, they could still make the ability to add new Lutron devices a dealer-only capability in order to prevent DIY. I am OK with that. But it is ridiculous to prevent the homeowner from managing their own system when other consumer devices (network router, iPhone, etc.) require a setting change.

Confession from a PSP. There are frustrating things on both ends. In the world of automation things are changing constantly. I have had my frustrations with tech support and there are a few devices needed to enhance my systems. As any PSP knows, we tend to run second fiddle to HWQS installers. The reason I support and install RA 2 is because the system is solid. Mesh networks, UPB and other control options are not as solid. Have your installer load up the Tnet addresses in the programing, changes will be coming and any good installer will upgrade your firmware when they are available. It is possible to change time clock events from your IPAD, so maybe attending a blast training would be beneficial. Home automation is the wild wild west right now, thats what makes it so interesting.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page