Astronomical timer control with UPB by HAI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some concerns with the Lutron RA2 being installed in my home right now because of the proprietary lockdown of the setup software accessible to dealers only. So I'm wondering if something like the UPB by HAI can easily accomplish the same thing... one of the most important functions of my home automation will be the automatic raising and lowering of my new Hunter Silhouette shades (drop down at night for privacy, open in the morning). The original plan is to use the RA2 astronomical timer built in to the RA2. But maybe we can accomplish this with UPB by HAI? The shade motor is a hard-wired simple DC motor by ESI. The shade controller is the ESI RP60D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM

The short answer is, Yes. The HAI panel (omni/lumina) has the astronomical clock built in and can handle the tasks you desire. (the actual logic automation and end user customization via pc access for end users) In addition, HAI supports ra2 seemlessly. You can run UPB and RA2 off of one system from HAI.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

So if I understand correctly I could have an HAI Omni panel and open access to the advanced programming features.. plus the ability to add RA2 wall switches to that? Is there an extra component needed for the HAI to RA2 bridge?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Installing HAI yourself, or with a pro installer? The pro installer won't give you the software and access to programming unless you both agree to it up front, before a contract is signed. Some installers will do this, others will not.

From what I understand, you'll need the RA2 software to integrate with HAI. The HAI controller communicates with the RA2 controller, so you'll still need the RA2 programmed.

I haven't done this, but this is what I've read. Someone else can confirm.

Many HAI DIYers at cocoontech. The cocoontech HAI subforum is frequented by HAI engineers, pro installers, and distributors, too. Ask general questions in Home Automation and Home Security subforums, specific HAI Qs in the HAI Marketplace subforum.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

So if I understand correctly I could have an HAI Omni panel and open access to the advanced programming features.. plus the ability to add RA2 wall switches to that? Is there an extra component needed for the HAI to RA2 bridge?

Yes, the end user of PC access allows an end user to pretty much everything. HAI has two panels, the Omni and Lumina. One will not have access to dealer options like the digital dialer and reporting format stuff for the alarm function in the omni. Other than that, access to adv. programming is available. The Lumina has nothing to do with security so one has access to everything.
Yes, a simple 10 dollar (pre pinned DB9 connector) cable is needed to work with ra2.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Correct, the RA2 system will need to be set up. Unit ID's and Phantom buttons can be set up by a pro. After that, using HAI one may use the ID's and phantom buttons (AKA scenes) in any fashion available to them in the HAI logic. For example, when keypad button three is pressed, issue a command to the shades, audio, pool, etc. An end user can re-program these macros as needed. They simpy need a pro to do the initial setup with RA2.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

If I keep my RA2 main repeater.. then it sounds like I can get that hooked up to an Omni with a DB9 connector and assuming the Lutron dealer will program it for me (or if I can get access to the Lutron software).

Then I can escape from being locked into the Lutron "don't trust the customer with programming" world because I would also have the HAI Omni...

Could the Omni command "scenes" within the Lutron?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM

keep your ra2 main repeater for your shades, etc. Have the dealer set up the stuff he needs to. Add an Omni/Lumina with the db9 cable hooked up and you can issue commands to the ra2 system that were previously set up by the dealer. So yes, the omni/lumina can issue and react to "phantom buttons" from ra2.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page