I want to push play and lights dim and movie starts. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The title probably gives you an idea of my knowledge on automation. But i am in the process of building my own house and now i am wiring the HT. The room size is 17x25 about the only thing i have decided own is purchasing a denon 4311 avr. I have installed 8
4" halo can lights and would like to control these when starting a movie. What equipment is needed and does it need to be installed during the rough in of the wiring? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by limiman View Post

I want to push play and lights dim and movie starts

This can simply be accomplished with a widely available remote that can be programmed with macros. So send command to player to start, then send another command to dim your remote-controlled light switched. Quite simple really.

Remote Dimmer = $40+ apiece depending how fancy you want them to look. U can have 1 dimmer controlling all your lights, or u can have separate.

Dimmer controller = ~ $40.

Macro Remote = $90 and up depending how fancy again.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There is a Home Theater subforum here on AVS you should check out.

Edit - never mind, I see you found it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would look at doing something like a HAI system (homeauto.com) if you are also going to have security it will tie the whole house together and is not that expensive. But if you only want one room only you can look at URC remotes they also sell light switches that work with there remotes. Good one room solution.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This can be done easy with a Lutron MIR-600THW sold at Amazon or Home Depot. This dimmer has adjustable preset level called a favorite.

Use any learning remote control, or better yet a Logitech Harmony remote control that has the Lutron MIR-600THW already available.
* Note if using a Logitech Harmony you might want to remove the Power on, light off and power off, light on for this device to 'No power buttons for this device' then modify the "Watch a Movie" activity to send "Favorite" light switch IR command when starting the activity.

All this for $40 dimmer and <$100 logitech remote control.
Reply Home Automation