Control 4 Extra vegetables pricing and other questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have gotten a few quotes for Control 4 installation but one of the quotes lists the EV sonos driver for $599 AND the EV iTunes driver for $500. Thats alms $1100 for the 2 drivers. Does this sound off to anyone? Do you know how much they should go for?

Also, I was told that the Mobile Navigator 50 device license is $499. Is this right?

I was also told that i needed a special program that costs $150/year to access my Control 4 from outside my home (office, airport, etc).

Finally I was told that I could not add thermostats, locks, light switches myself. That I would have to contact my dealer to program each component. Could this possibly be correct? Why wouldn't I be able to add components as well as sequences myself without having to contact my dealer?

Please help me and let me now if this is way off.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehsmit View Post

I have gotten a few quotes for Control 4 installation but one of the quotes lists the EV sonos driver for $599 AND the EV iTunes driver for $500. Thats alms $1100 for the 2 drivers. Does this sound off to anyone? Do you know how much they should go for?

Also, I was told that the Mobile Navigator 50 device license is $499. Is this right?

I was also told that i needed a special program that costs $150/year to access my Control 4 from outside my home (office, airport, etc).

Finally I was told that I could not add thermostats, locks, light switches myself. That I would have to contact my dealer to program each component. Could this possibly be correct? Why wouldn't I be able to add components as well as sequences myself without having to contact my dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the extra veggies driver cost as they don't release their pricing unless you register with them. I do know all their prices are per project so you should never see two sonos driver charges or two apple tv driver charges on the same project. I use their Nuvo driver on my own system and it works quite well.

Mobile navigator is $500 for a site license. It's something like $200 per license, if you buy a la carte.

4sight (Internet access) is around $150 but I don't remember exactly. BTW, you also can't send email from programming without it. If you want latchkey functionality (e.g. Send you an email when the kids get home from school) then you need it.

C4 does not let you add components. Only dealers can do that but you may be able to find a dealer that will let you buy from them, and add them to your project. ComposerHE let's you do the rest of the programming but it won't let you upgrade software versions for the components and the director. there is also an annoying bug that won't let HE add variables in the version I have. Of course, you have to buy composerHE too.

Overall, it sounds like the dealer is in the ballpark.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mizzer-D. Really appreciate the quick response. So tough to know when there are not prices listed for some of these things.

Anyone with price listing for the EV drivers?
post #4 of 20 Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
I got a quote for a Sonos EV driver for half of what they are asking you. In my case, I have someone adding it remotely so that may factor in to the cheaper price.

Can't add any equipment to C4 without the dealer. If you get the site license you still need the dealer to add all your devices(ipad, iphone, etc.).
post #5 of 20 Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisms98 View Post

Can't add any equipment to C4 without the dealer. If you get the site license you still need the dealer to add all your devices(ipad, iphone, etc.).

This is the part that drives me nuts on C4. I like their products, and their price points seem right, but I have a really hard time not being able to change things my self.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #6 of 20 Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you want control you could look at something like CQC (www.charmedquark.com). It can do anything C4 can and more, is every bit as robust, and you have control over it.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM

If you want to do it yourself...get a business license and insurance, obtain C4 dealership, go to training for 3 days and place an opening order. These practices are in place to protect dealers and Control 4 product and reputation.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvIntegrating View Post

If you want to do it yourself...get a business license and insurance, obtain C4 dealership, go to training for 3 days and place an opening order. These practices are in place to protect dealers and Control 4 product and reputation.

Exactly!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehsmit View Post

Thanks in advance.

We have had C4 for 2 years now and love it. Work with a good dealer and everything is awesome. Get a bad dealer and look out.

Site license is $499
4sight account $99-$150 I would say depending on dealer.
If you by composer HE you get a free subscription for one year. That's what it was when I got it...

Not sure on extra vegetable.

We use control 4 only 11 zones of music... We can stream Rhapsody and also have 240 Internet radio stations through our system setup by the dealer. My dealer is available when I need him and of course I try and schedule things as he has a business to run so I'm not unreasonable when he is busy. If I need changes I don't expect him to do things for free but I don't expect him to over charge me either and so far no issues...

Most changes are done remotely and usually small or no fee but I would not no how other dealers handle this.

At Christmas a gift card goes a long way in continuing a good relationship.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #10 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
More C4 spam.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

More C4 spam.

Why do you think this?

Just answering question...

What system do you use or like?

Control4
post #12 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, you joined this month. You have 22 posts, well over half of which I think are 'we love C4', going by a quick scan of your posts. The only stuff not about C4 appear to be about a set of speakers you use. There's an awful lot of this type of thing going on around here. A lot of people who sign up, post a bunch of pro-C4 stuff, many of them seldom ever posting much if anything after that. It gets suspicious, and of course it's a well known common way to use fora for advertising, without appearing to. Whereas anyone who does it honestly gets spanked for abusing the rules.

Dean Roddey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Well, you joined this month. You have 22 posts, well over half of which I think are 'we love C4', going by a quick scan of your posts. The only stuff not about C4 appear to be about a set of speakers you use. There's an awful lot of this type of thing going on around here. A lot of people who sign up, post a bunch of pro-C4 stuff, many of them seldom ever posting much if anything after that. It gets suspicious, and of course it's a well known common way to use fora for advertising, without appearing to. Whereas anyone who does it honestly gets spanked for abusing the rules.

Well I just updated my speakers and I like them. Not dealer... Not a C4 dealer either but I do like what I have so just sharing my experience so far. Also just got a new ford explorer and like it so hopefully this won't make anybody upset. Tell me how I can delete my account and I will move on.

Sorry for sharing my likes on this forum.

Control4
post #14 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Have the mods admonished you recently, Dean, for promoting CQC?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #15 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedonc4 View Post

Why do you think this?
You're too obvious.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:

You're too obvious.

What system do you use?
Is this not the home automation site?

I want to say sorry to the original poster we like our equipment so good luck on what you choose... I'm just an end user and I don't need to fight about different systems.

Control4
post #17 of 20 Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have the mods admonished you recently, Dean, for promoting CQC?

No, not recently, because I try to be a good boy. They used to once in a while back in the day.

Dean Roddey

post #18 of 20 Old 09-15-2012, 04:04 AM

can cqc control sonos because I was looking at them before and they couldn't control sonos so that's why i wasn't going with them.

ps. I can't write code, so I don't think i could write the interface myself. one person gave me that option also

personally I don't like windows 8 that much so I could just write a new os, but I can't do that either smile.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 09-15-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, we have two drivers for the Sonos zone players. One is in our 'standard media renderer' sort of style, which means it's fully integrated into our media architecture, and the driver treats the player like a passive music player. So, in this scheme, you'd be using CQC for media browsing and whatnot, and CQC just uses it to play the music. The other is for folks who want to use the Sonos interface to browse for music and such, but still want to allow CQC to control it and provide status feedback from the players. So you can go either way.

There's no code involved in creating a CQC system. It's all point and click. It's not trivial of course, because it allows you full flexibility, so it's not unlike learning any serious software package, like Excel or Photoshop. But most anyone can master such a program with some work. But, once you do, it's well worth the effort because it allows you to create very nice results that look/work the way you want. There are a lot of tutorial videos on the web site, so you can see what's involved in setting up a system. Quite a few of them are related to user interface development topics.

Dean Roddey

post #20 of 20 Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Yes, we have two drivers for the Sonos zone players. One is in our 'standard media renderer' sort of style, which means it's fully integrated into our media architecture, and the driver treats the player like a passive music player. So, in this scheme, you'd be using CQC for media browsing and whatnot, and CQC just uses it to play the music. The other is for folks who want to use the Sonos interface to browse for music and such, but still want to allow CQC to control it and provide status feedback from the players. So you can go either way.
There's no code involved in creating a CQC system. It's all point and click. It's not trivial of course, because it allows you full flexibility, so it's not unlike learning any serious software package, like Excel or Photoshop. But most anyone can master such a program with some work. But, once you do, it's well worth the effort because it allows you to create very nice results that look/work the way you want. There are a lot of tutorial videos on the web site, so you can see what's involved in setting up a system. Quite a few of them are related to user interface development topics.

Very nice,
Thanks for sharing.

Control4
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page