sonos needed with HA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at either a C4 or Savant system and am trying to figure out if I need sonos for the systems OR is the audio services they come with good enough? I have had a savant dealer tell me about squeezebox but just not sure I need them.

Does sonos/squeezebox offer anything more than the built in systems with C4 and savant?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

3 different animals. Sonos is not directly controlled by Savant so it would look like a generic aux jack in savant land(meaning you could select it as a source but you wouldn't have any control). At that point you'd be switching between 2 apps.

A lot of people we work with don't mind this. It would bother me to no end. I'm not a heavy sonos user so it's hard for me to compare squeezebox to sonos. I do like Sonos' app layout but staying within one app is what I'd prefer. Squeezebox gives you access to pretty much every net streaming audio outlet there is and access to your iTunes library and it's fairly easy to navigate.

So really you have 2 separate things you need to figure out. First, Savant? or Control 4. The answer to this question should not be dependent on Sonos. Second, Are you ok with using 2 apps to control your house and/or music (savant/control4 in conjunction with Sonos' app). Once you have those two solved you'll be able to drill down with some deeper questions as the 3 items in question are very different.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed response. So if I had C4 could that interface access sonos or would I need a separate app for that as in Savant?

Also, can squeezebox incorporate into C4? Does that require a separate app or can you access it through savant and C4?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sonos can be controlled from within the Control4 GUI via a driver from Extra Vegetables.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehsmit View Post

I am looking at either a C4 or Savant system and am trying to figure out if I need sonos for the systems...

I've got Sonos for my WHA system and Elan g! for my HA system. They are not connected. I'm fine with that.

Most everybody in the house wants to use the Sonos since most everybody likes to listen to music.

The A in HA stands for AUTOMATION. Since most of what the Elan g! system does is automated there isn't much of interest to most of the family.

The HA system controls the lights but folks can push the switches on the wall. The HA system controls the HVAC systems but the folks can adjust the thermostats on the wall. The HA system controls the irrigation - well nothing really to interact with there. The HA system controls the security but there are hard keypads at the doors for coming and going.

So that fact that there is one app for the WHA system and another of the HA system is no big deal since most of the family never needs to use the HA app.

YMMV.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM

squeezebox integrates very nicely with Savant and can give you access to your iTunes library, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, internet radio,etc. You can use Sonos with C4 and the Extra veggies app for more or less the same thing. If you're only interested in your music library and internet radio, you can do this directly through the C4 GUI.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave12000 View Post

squeezebox integrates very nicely with Savant and can give you access to your iTunes library, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, internet radio,etc.

can it also integrate with C4? Do you need a separate app to control it on the control4?

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

can it also integrate with C4? Do you need a separate app to control it on the control4?

Thanks.

Sonos + Extra Vegetables for C4.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks.

We're a Control4 dealer and I'm not aware of any drivers that provide integration with the Squeezebox. Sonos is the way to go IMO. HTH!

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page