Savant vs Control4 - 2quotes which is better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

So I have gotten a bunch of quotes looking at C4 and Savant. Two of the quotes looking at doing what I really want are very similar in price for C4 and Savant respectfully. I know its tough to compare everything, but all things considered, we are pretty close.

If my endgame is to have FULL automation in the future (garage doors, lights, music, video, HVAC, irrigation, door locks, pool, etc) and the prices are roughly the same for all install, which one would you go with it?

Also, which one will allow ME more control to write macros and change settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Control 4 has a "end user" software available, however I don't believe it's going to give you access to macro's, etc. neither system is known for allowing end users access to anything advanced. Your best bet is to ask the dealers if they would assist you with accomplishing access to the settings you are interested in, your dealer is going to be your best bet to do that.

As to which quote to go with, I would strongly suggest you pick the one with most experience and best references. If all else is equal anyways.

Good luck
post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, But if money was not an option (and it is in my case) what has more options and is considered better--savant or C4?
post #4 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Savant is definitely the higher end option, that is a personal opinion though.

Have you looked at any other options? I see you have another thread going on and between the two of them I get the feeling that you would appreciate a little more access to your system settings than either of these two companies provide.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed. I would like to adjust macros the way I want but I know savant and C4 don't really allow it. I have found a few C4 dealers that are more into the DIY guys and allow some flexibility but not all. I've looked at home seer and a few others but I think these 2 are my best options. I've negotiated great deals with both. Started with savant but very cost prohibitive. The c4 guys were cheaper but then the savant guy came down alot to keep up. Now I'm torn.

What would you do? Savant? C4? Other and if so what?

Thanks again for your help to this newbie!
post #6 of 13 Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 11
I have a C4 system but will gladly trade it for a Savant. Media management is really poor on C4 and I rely on third party apps/devices to get by.

Go with Savant.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehsmit View Post

Agreed. I would like to adjust macros the way I want but I know savant and C4 don't really allow it. I have found a few C4 dealers that are more into the DIY guys and allow some flexibility but not all. I've looked at home seer and a few others but I think these 2 are my best options. I've negotiated great deals with both. Started with savant but very cost prohibitive. The c4 guys were cheaper but then the savant guy came down alot to keep up. Now I'm torn.

What would you do? Savant? C4? Other and if so what?

Thanks again for your help to this newbie!

What is your goal for control/integration? If I have missed the post somewhere I'm sorry, can't really suggest a product without knowing your goals.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowinnothin View Post

What is your goal for control/integration? If I have missed the post somewhere I'm sorry, can't really suggest a product without knowing your goals.

I'd like to eventually be able to have various macros integrating various products. For example if my doorbell rings, the TV an monitors would immediately switch on and to the security camera at the front door. Also if my wife enters her security code on the keypad, her lights for her areas (kitchen/closet/etc) go on and her music plays on various rooms. If I come it does my preferences. This would be during certain times only. I'd also like to be able to integrate HVAC, garage door openers and door locks (so that I get a notification when kids get home) and such.

Thought!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 11:59 AM

You should have a look at Elk and Hai. I'm biased because I sell Hai but both companies have a good reputation around these forums. Both companies products and software are easily available to general public/DIYer.

Hai has the required equipment to control your audio/video through there apps. This route in my opinion still requires a separate remote control for practical reasons but that's another topic. They also have proximity readers to accomplish your macros with minimum interaction required.

Both Hai and Elk integrate very well with Rti control devices so there is another option as well, but you would be limited by software access to make changes to that part of the system. Still if properly planned for you could have access to the Hai end of the system to make your required changes.

There are a lot of different ways to accomplish what you are looking for, check with your control4 dealers to see if Hai or elk are compatible. If they are you could look at going that route to maintain some access to the system, obviously they would have to be comfortable with this arrangement but if there getting paid to fix what you "mess up" I can't see them caring.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
+1, check out HAI

You my be able to negotiate with a local HAI dealer to give you full control of the system after the install.

Harder to find an Elk dealer.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I sell both Savant and HAI, Two compleatly different products. Love both products but HAI will not do video distribution and is alot more limited also a heck of alot cheaper.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #12 of 13 Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HAI alone may have limitations compared to Savant (maybe...i dont really know what Savants feature set is) but it's pretty "open" in terms of working with 3rd party products. HAI doesn't have HDMI switches (for example) but Zektor does and HAI can control Zektor so its not like you have to give up video distribution if you go with HAI.

Should you go with HAI? Savant? I dont know what to tell you because your posted wish list so far is easily accomplished with just about any automation product out there. If you are a "tinkerer" DIY type (like the rest of us) then IMO you should look at HAI or CharmedQuark or...Many other DIY friendly products out there.

Control4 and Savant are perfectly capable. Even though they don't support end users directly and the fact that most dealers wont want to set you up with software...these aren't real issues. There are dozens of users here who program their own Control4 systems. You aren't the typical customer, there is no "Danger" in letting you tinker and if you screw up programming you can always pay someone to come fix it for you. I really don't get the "don/t give them the magical secret software" sentiment but it is what it is. Rather than put your time and effort into a product thats not open to you...pick something that is so you dont hit a brick wall at some point.

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
post #13 of 13 Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Savant can do almost anything you can think of really but there is little interest from the Savant community in having an end user involved directly in programming for a variety of reasons.

The training and learning curve is extensive and ongoing and the commitment is not a casual one.

I sell Savant obviously? I also sell Elk and really like the M1 system but it really is not comparable to a Savant system at the level you seem to be asking about,neither is C4 it seems.

On the other hand if you can be a lot more specific about your needs you may get more specific answers too?

Ed
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page