Looking for Crestron equipment to buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping someone wants to upgrade their personnel gear so I can purchase it from them. I'm looking for gear to practice real world scenarios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
EBay is your best bet. Offers better buyer protection than most places online. Less chance of getting scammed. Same with selling...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 18 Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #4 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Liked: 12
Depending on your area, Craigslist may be an option also. But around here, I've seen some pretty bad deals (like a bundle of old equipment, mostly useless, going for several thousand dollars).
post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Craigslist is a good idea . I'm looking at the MP2 or MP2E as far as control system the extra 300$ for the MP2E bugs me out how much more for just the Ethernet port , just thinking .. do I or do I not want to .. connect it to my network . I am leaning towards a yes and will probably get that one(MP2E). Looking at an STX-1700 for the touch panel. I should be good with this , at times I think I may need a ir gateway for these pieces to work am I mistaken or correct in that thought. I have to research more the STX-1700 as far ir gateway and such.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Since you're asking where to buy Crestron hardware, you're probably unaware that you have to get the programming software from Crestron. And if you're not a dealer, or in some other way affiliated, you're not going to get it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

What you guys think about this(CNMSX-AV Integrated Control System) I could all ways add the Ethernet card when needed or desired No?

http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?jump=1&model=cnmsx-av

remembering my goal is to familiarize myself with equipment before I attend the first day of class.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM

I have a PRO2 that I could sell you for relatively cheap with a an ethernet card, RF gateway and ML600/MX850. I'm going to be upgrading to 3 series soon. Haven't had time. But I'm a crestron programmer and this is essentially my bench testing equipment.

Let me know if you (OR anyone else is) interested.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #9 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Dahwoo,

Thank you for the reply, yes what I'm looking for is bench testing gear that I could own in my home and practice setting up work projects since I will be given this

responsibility soon . At work everything is old and set up. A recent DMPS-300-C was installed a couple of weeks ago here at work , but I was involved with other

tasks / projects. Since I will be attending the 3 day class "Introduction to Crestron" soon, I wanted to go in comfortable knowing as much as possible allowing for the

class to fill in the cracks where I need it. I ask you now? the equipment you have for sale ? The programming is done with the use of "Simple Windows", "SIMPL+",

"Sysytem Builder". As I believe this is what I will be using. Keeping in consideration that bench gear WILL NOT be as new or up to date spec wise comparing to what

they purchase at work, but you can tell me the validity of knowing that anything that I need to program for work I could just as well work on it at home with your gear

TRUE?

Since sending signals / commands is just the same no? it's just going to be a different control system and touch panel instead of your gear correct?

In short YES I'm interested
post #10 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Definitely get equipment with Ethernet. I would also not purchase an X-series device to test programming for newer equipment. There are some differences in how basic programming functions internally, and the X-series isn't even supported by most new products.

The Pro2 is a good choice, it is receiving updates to be compatible with some, if not all, 3-series features/objects.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM

I use simpl to program my system. I am pretty ANTI-systembuilder but some people (including ones here) seem to like it. I can not stand it. I haven't updated my firmware on it in a few months but that's a really simple fix and could update before I even shipped it out. or as a learning task you could do it yourself. Getting familiar with ToolBox is just as good (if not equal) to learning how to program crestron at all.

most essential tool they offer really. I could't imagine troubleshooting without it.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #12 of 18 Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Dahwoo,
let me know how much and how soon you can ship?
post #13 of 18 Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Will look into this tomorrow. Can you PM me your address so I can calculate shipping?

Thanks.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Get the pro2 from Dahwoo or an av2 or cp2e from ebay. I would get a thermostat and a dimmer too. Dont bother with a touchpanel because you can use your PC and an iPad as a touchpanel for now.

System Builder is fine but keep in mind that any time invested in it wont carry over when/if you start programming in simpl.

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
post #15 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Solid information and thanks "39CentStamp". After watching all the videos on the Crestron website mainly about "ToolBox" and what not I'm eager to get started. I wish there were some type of classroom manual to read and or documentation similar to what will be given in class so I can get a jump on programming of sorts. Once I get a-hold of Dahwoo's gear , I think I just have to wait since I don't know the first steps in programming any equipment.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I PM'ed you.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM

got it. I replied... I may have a thermostat as well. If I do. I'll throw that in for free.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

I re-replied " I wouldn't want to incur any unnecessary charges. let me know ?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page