PMC3-XP vs MC3: Which should I choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My wife and I just bought a resale home which we which to retrofit a HA system. My limited understanding is that Prodigy was Crestron's answer to Control4, however, it was limited in what it could do and so they released the PM3-XP which opened it up to the whole line of Crestron's world. Now that they've gone to mass distrobution it seems that most Crestron dealers are staying away from them.

Well, the local Crestron dealer is still using Prodigy and can still get me a PMC3-XP, though he is telling me to just go with an MC3. I know that the Prodigy comes with a remote, while the MC3 doesn't, and that the Prodigy equipment is a bit cheaper than Crestron. Other than that, is there any reason I should go with a full out Crestron MC3 instead of getting the XP? Is the programing involved in the MC3 more than that of the Prodigy? What about future video and audio distribution? Is the Crestron one that much more expensive than the Prodigy?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if the XP will do the same as the MC3 and if using the Prodigy equipment will be worth my while.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
post #3 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Biased opinion but.. I would much rather have the MC3... No limitations.

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM

"I'm just a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it"
post #5 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwoo View Post

Thanks for the reply. What kind of limitations could there be with an XP if it's open to the rest of Crestron's scu's? At this point, I could get the XP and a whole bunch of their accessories for a lot cheaper than the MC3 and would still have the option to go into the Crestron scu's.

Anyone else that can give me their opinions and pros/cons?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you can still get an 'XP' model I'd go for it and save the money by buying the Prodigy parts where possible. The XP won't run multiple programs like the MC3 will but that shouldn't matter in the vast majority of cases.

I've only worked with one, but we had some problems using the standard-Crestron 'EX' dimmers enrolled on the internal RF gateway on the 'XP'. Enrolling them on an CEN-RFGWEX resolved the problem. (Slow responses, would momentarily drop off-network when multiple loads were being adjusted.) Have never seen this problem with standard Prodigy dimmers.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddellkw View Post

If you can still get an 'XP' model I'd go for it and save the money by buying the Prodigy parts where possible. The XP won't run multiple programs like the MC3 will but that shouldn't matter in the vast majority of cases.
I've only worked with one, but we had some problems using the standard-Crestron 'EX' dimmers enrolled on the internal RF gateway on the 'XP'. Enrolling them on an CEN-RFGWEX resolved the problem. (Slow responses, would momentarily drop off-network when multiple loads were being adjusted.) Have never seen this problem with standard Prodigy dimmers.

Can you explain what you mean by running multiple programs?

Anyone else have any opinions?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post

Can you explain what you mean by running multiple programs?
Anyone else have any opinions?

The MC3 (and future non-prodigy processors) can run up to 10 'programs' simultaneously. This lets a programmer split systems into multiple parts (A/V, HVAC, security, etc).

The benefits are that you can update a program without rebooting the others, it keeps programs smaller, and potentially easier to debug/monitor. There is some debate/discussion among programmers about how useful this actually is (especially since there are some tools/features of the programs that don't natively function across multiple programs (crosspoints). Honestly, its nothing that should really have any bearing on your decision as an end-user.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Will the 'XP' be considered "old or outdated equipment" and perhaps obsolete in a few years or will it run just the same as an MC3 until Crestron releases a new processor? What I'm trying to get at is; am I better off going with an MC3 because it's current technology?

If I go with the 'XP' and wish to upgrade processors in 8-10 years, will I have to change out the dimmers and switches and everything that is Prodigy branded?
post #10 of 12 Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post

Will the 'XP' be considered "old or outdated equipment" and perhaps obsolete in a few years or will it run just the same as an MC3 until Crestron releases a new processor? What I'm trying to get at is; am I better off going with an MC3 because it's current technology?
If I go with the 'XP' and wish to upgrade processors in 8-10 years, will I have to change out the dimmers and switches and everything that is Prodigy branded?
Regarding the first question, I don't think that will be an issue. Its pretty much identical to the MC3 except for the ability to talk to Prodigy hardware and the limit to a single program.
As to the second, thats a good question that I've not heard brought up before.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Which option have you chosen to go with & why? I too am evaluating whether to try and get my hands on a PMC3-XP or go with the MC3. I want the ability to control both product lines if I wanted to in the future. I currently have a Prodigy system in my home. PMC2 is the control unit. I want to add either one of the above processors and use it in conjunction with the PMC2; but place the PMC2 on another TV watching area and use it to control that room and use the PMC3-XP/MC3 to do the major lifting; lighting, HVAC, 8 zone audio, etc. Planning to add another 12 light switches as well.

Thanks for starting this thread; I really would be interested in your decision; as well as if you can connect me with a Dealer who can still obtain a PMC3-XP. The company I used cannot get one for me.

Thanks.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Jdptootall, to be quite honest with you I haven't decided what I'm going to do. Up until now I was set on Crestron only but for what I'm looking to do, it seems that any control system will do it well. I've been speaking with Control4 dealers as well and I have to admit, I like the product. Realistically, my home is 3600sq/f so it's big but not huge. Crestron seems to be the answer for huge projects and Control4 seems to be the answer for smaller projects. I'm starting to get the idea from all the integrators I'm speaking with that Control4 will give me 90% of the functionality for 50% of the price (hardware and programming).

Like I said, I haven't made up my mind just yet but I'm open to Control4's solution as well.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page