RF controlled dimmer question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am modifying my original plan a little. I have been reviewing various lighting threads, but things seem a little unclear. Quite confused with all the RF, Z-wave, X10 talk.

My original plan:

- Electric projector screen
- Outlet near ceiling on projection wall to power screen (this was to be hidden in a build in entertainment center)
- Outlet placed in center of projector wall for future flat panel tv

My new plan:

- Fixed projection screen
- Rope lighting behind screen for accent lighting

How to execute this new plan:

- Still move forward with outlet (for the future TV)
- Place IR/RF dimming switch at the near ceiling box/outlet to control the "TV outlet"
- Plug rope lights into dimmer controlled outlet

The issue:

- I still plan for the near ceiling box that would house the dimmer to be concealed by the entertainment center.
- I assume since the switch will be concealed i will need to use a RF controlled switch.
- Since i am still in the construction phase I do not have a universal remote selected yet.

Ideally i would like to use the concealed outlet box. However if my RF options just aren't cost effective as far as equipment needed, I can put in another receptacle box that would be line of sight on the projector wall.

My A/V equipment will be in a media cabinet and plan to use the Nextgen Genius IR to RF remote.

Any recommendations on my options?

Thank you.