Replace Control4 with RTI? Can we program after install? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We currently have a 6 year old Control4 system. Our home theater room was struck by lightning and it blew pretty much everything except Control4 (we think). Since nothing else works we can't really test the Control4 yet. Our installer is no longer going to be a Control4 installer, so after they fix everything else, if we keep Control4 they won't work on it. We have already broken the remote once, and because it is an older Control4 system we could no longer get a new remote for it, the installer happened to have an extra old one at their office from an upgrade and gave us that. They have suggested replacing the Control4 wtih RTI.

Questions-
1. Is there any real advantage to Control4 over RTI? We use it to control a projector, retractable screen, receiver, wii, dvd, lighting. We have multiple ipads in the house that could use the RTI app (our current Control4 is too old for the app).

2. After they have done the initial programming, can I make programming changes myself with RTI? We have been frustrated with Control4 that every time we added a wii, got a new DVD player, etc... we had to call the installer out for $100 programming change.

3. Is there another system that would be better than Control4 or RTI that we should be looking at?

4. If we go with RTI and we are going to use the Ipad app, is there any reason to pay more for a touch screen RTI remote vs. the standard remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
both Control 4 and RTI programming software is proprietary so you would need to work with a dealer in either case

RTI software can be updated remotely by the dealer and is a lot more flexible than Control 4 for customization: really depends what you want: RTI is probably going to be more expensive

you could use only the iPad app for RTI but you need to buy a license for each iPad: I like the handheld RTI remotes equally: find myself using them more than the iPad

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are quoting me $699 for Control4 processer, I would not need to replace the lighting controls, but I'm betting my current remote wouldn't work with a new processor.

RTI Remotes:
T1B - $349
T2B - $500
T2Cs - $700
iPad App - $150 per device

Processor - $600

Do those seem like reasonable range quotes?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by epjenk View Post

They are quoting me $699 for Control4 processer, I would not need to replace the lighting controls, but I'm betting my current remote wouldn't work with a new processor.

RTI Remotes:
T1B - $349
T2B - $500
T2Cs - $700
iPad App - $150 per device

Processor - $600

Do those seem like reasonable range quotes?

yes: it depends on the system price with programming: most important is to find a dealer you are comfortable to work with: there will always be remapping/ upgrade issues

no matter what you choose you will always have to have a relationship with a dealer

to be fair, the latest Control 4 processors have gotten great reviews:

disclaimer, I am partial to RTI and have invested heavily in RTI systems for my HT

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page