New home automation help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased my first home and would like to add a few automation on a budget.
The plan is to be able to control my alarm, ip cameras, thermostat and a few basic dimmers from anywhere.

Alarm:
Currently the home has a ADT system installed without contract. I would like the alarm system to be local only (no contract or 3rd party)
What alarm unit should I purchase to arm & disarm the local system from my phone or ipad? I would like push notifications when a door opens or the alarm trips exc if possible without any 3rd party contract.
In a nut shell I would like to be at work, get a push notification that the alarm has gone off, check my ip cameras for an intruder and call the police all why being away.

IP cameras:
I'm probably going with Foscam FI8910W Ip cameras & will control them via Foscam app on ipad & iphone

Thermostat:
Going with the Venstar T5800 Color Thermostat w/ wifi card. also controlled via ipad & iphone

Zwave controler:
Looking at getting the Aeon Labs Z-Stick Series 2 USB Dongle as a z-wave controller, then using any z-wave app on the ipad to control a few dimmers and outlets.

A few questions:

Is there an App that can control a majority of this system?
Is there a Zwave power strip with individual controllable outlets?
is there a way to control zwave and A/V components with a remote like a Harmony (I know harmony doesn't support zwave other then the 890)
Most importantly will this basic system work?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page