Kenwood KM-Z1 power trigger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Kenwood KM-Z1 that I use for my subs and whole house audio. I am looking for a way to remote trigger it on/off when I turn everything else on in the equipment room.

The unit was designed to be paired with the KC-Z1 controller back in the day. It has plugs to turn it on and off via remote when using the KC-Z1, but I am using a Pioneer reciever with it. The plug is labelled SL-16/ XS-8. This was some protocol they used to send a signal to power on/ off the amp when connected to the KC-Z1 controller.

Does anyone know of an infrared device or something compatible with this amp to be able to switch it on/ off with my remote?

Thanks,

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Eric, did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do exactly the same thing you were. I want the KM-Z1 to power up when the rest of my equipment turns on. I have the standard 12V trigger available, but I'm wary of just sticking it in either the XS-8 or SL-16 ports and just hoping for the best. I even tried talking to Kenwood support. Nobody there could tell me anything about either the XS or SL protocols. They say they've been out of the home audio business for so long that nobody there knows it anymore. That's disappointing.

What I can gather from reading old Kenwood manuals is that the XS protocol was fairly simple. The SL protocol was more advanced. My guess is that XS was a simple voltage signal to turn on. SL was probably a digital signal, possibly two way. So my GUESS is that the XS port is hooked up to a simple relay, and applying any small DC voltage across it should do the trick. If that's the case, the everybody-but-Kenwood standard 12V should do it, and it should be as simple as plugging it in and crossing my fingers. But I'd sure hate to fry something if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I was wondering if you ever figured it out. Or if anybody else has some experience with these Kenwood signal protocols. Or if anybody is still using some equipment that has these ports and could take some quick measurements for us.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately, I never got anywhere with it. I did take a chance and plugged a cable in it to try and did not fry anything, nor did anything work.

It's a shame, because this is a solid amp and if it could be automated, I would buy more of them.

-Eric
post #4 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You tried a standard 12V trigger in it? Was that in the XS or the SL port? Maybe both? And did you play with the XS/SL switch too?

Bummer it didn't work. I was hoping for an easy solution.
Reply Home Automation