Savant or Crestron..for new home - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which system do you prefer for your Home automation?
Savant 13 36.11%
Crestron 23 63.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Crestron DM is a one of a kind system, is it not the only matrix that will down-rez hd audio to analog for simultaneous theatre/distributed audio that plays in sync without delays? USB pass through on room controllers as well. ie, computer hooked up to dm system and available USB in individual rooms.

An inexperienced programmer can make any pile of equipment a complete waste of money, however comparing savant to crestron on any level other than features is completely ignorant. I'm a huge apple fan so a savant system would fit my lifestyle really well but crestron dm adds features that savant or anyone else simply doesn't offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisleo View Post

You should strongly consider Savant for your new system. We have taken out a number of poorly performing Crestron systems and replaced the with Savant. Nothing but happy clients!

There's no good reason to take out Crestron hardware. If it's performing poorly, it's because it's poorly programmed and/or the UI sucks so the clients can't use it. This can all be solved within the Crestron environment.....by someone capable of doing so.
post #33 of 46 Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowinnothin View Post

Crestron DM is a one of a kind system, is it not the only matrix that will down-rez hd audio to analog for simultaneous theatre/distributed audio that plays in sync without delays? USB pass through on room controllers as well. ie, computer hooked up to dm system and available USB in individual rooms.

An inexperienced programmer can make any pile of equipment a complete waste of money, however comparing savant to crestron on any level other than features is completely ignorant. I'm a huge apple fan so a savant system would fit my lifestyle really well but crestron dm adds features that savant or anyone else simply doesn't offer.

I don't understand these comments. Crestron has iOS apps and Android apps that can be fully customized including dynamic gesture/scrolling lists. The Savant experience can be recreated and improved upon within a Crestron environment. Then again, a proper UI will likely give the end customer an even better experience than they'd get from the Savant UI.
post #34 of 46 Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_W View Post

I don't understand these comments. Crestron has iOS apps and Android apps that can be fully customized including dynamic gesture/scrolling lists. The Savant experience can be recreated and improved upon within a Crestron environment. Then again, a proper UI will likely give the end customer an even better experience than they'd get from the Savant UI.

NOBODY makes an hdmi distribution system with the features that a crestron dm system has. After you take that into account it comes to user interface and integration capabilities. AMX, Crestron, savant, RTI, URC are all great systems if the system design and programming are done by someone experienced. A huge issue I have with savant is the Mac hardware, I love apple products but I'd never depend on them to run my house.
post #35 of 46 Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 PM

Liked: 12
I don't think anyone disagrees about DM being a great product. It is. But there is a lot more to a home automation system than HDMI switching.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #36 of 46 Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowinnothin View Post

NOBODY makes an hdmi distribution system with the features that a crestron dm system has. After you take that into account it comes to user interface and integration capabilities. AMX, Crestron, savant, RTI, URC are all great systems if the system design and programming are done by someone experienced. A huge issue I have with savant is the Mac hardware, I love apple products but I'd never depend on them to run my house.

I misread and misinterpreted your post....sorry about that. We're definitely on the same page here!
post #37 of 46 Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisleo View Post

I don't think anyone disagrees about DM being a great product. It is. But there is a lot more to a home automation system than HDMI switching.

So why are you so proud to be ripping out Crestron systems and installing Savant?
post #38 of 46 Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 PM

I think you are mis-understanding my post. There is no "pride" associated with tearing out anything. We take pride in satisfying our clients. I know that sounds cliche but it's truly what we think about everyday.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #39 of 46 Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM

Your absolutely correct, however that's not the only hardware they make. I've read posts about a bad design on a remote for them but its not there only model either. I don't sell crestron. My business installs RTI, I'm aware of there shortcomings and I'm aware of what the competitions advantages are. Savant has a market and so does crestron, it all depends on the way you design and implement your systems. If you don't want to compromise crestron is your only option.
post #40 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Liked: 0
Hi all,

Could you please help me to find which brand is good...Crestron, AMX, Savant or Control 4. Coz for my home and business I am planning some automation.

Thanks in advance
post #41 of 46 Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The company you hire to install and implement the system is far more important than the brand of equipment they use.
MOTILAC and SMHarman like this.
post #42 of 46 Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post
The company you hire to install and implement the system is far more important than the brand of equipment they use.
This ^^^^
SMHarman likes this.
post #43 of 46 Old 07-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Liked: 2
+1
post #44 of 46 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+2

I work for a company that was all Crestron until the owner pissed off the guy we used for programming (*very* good Crestron only guy). So we went Savant because my boss drank the Kool-Aid and believed we could then do all the programming in-house.

That didn't work out.

I went to Savant training and boy does that little happy screen with all the components and the connected lines suck you in! It looks so easy!

Until you realize you need to buy a Mac (I personally don't care for them).
Until you want to add a button to their auto generated interface.
Until you have to control something they don't have a profile for.
Until you need to integrate with legacy equipment (Lutron Interactive, for example).
Until you NEED service and they either A) don't pick up the phone the first 3 times you call, or B) want to charge you a $250 PER CARD diagnostic fee for a locled up AV chassis that has 10 cards in it and is less than a year or so old.
Until you have to install some new Savant piece you've never seen before and realize their documentation isn't included (unlike Crestron, where there's a pretty good manual in nearly every box).
Until you want to LEARN an IR code or build a custom profile on your own.
Until you realize that you (the customer) need to pay for an operating license!!! And if you want to upgrade later, you may have to pay again!!!
Until you realize that software updates can make compatability/service a real pain for the installer. Are you using Snow Leopard? Mountain Lion?
Until someone asks for one of those horrific door phone entry station things.

Don't get me wrong - many of those things *can* be done with Savant, however NOT after one (or even two) of their training courses. Their stuff is NOT as easy as they made it out to be, in my experience.

And to be fair, I'm certainly not saying its any easier with Crestron. Crestron is no-joke, professional grade stuff. The smartest, most experienced AV people I know are Crestron guys, and they have to be to use that stuff properly.

You want to know what the LAST thing I did before I got to go home for the weekend was? I went to the biggest Savant job our company has done and added a repeater to the living room system because the customers wife hates the interface so much.

But time will be the best judge. I suspect that the same people who fumbled so many of the Crestron installs that left a bad taste in customers mouths will jump on the Savant bandwagon and the results will be no different. As it was said - the equipment isn't as important as the installer.

If you are wondering which system to put in your house, go and look at the installers showroom first, and then try to see one of their residential installs. ACCEPT NO EXCEPTIONS: "We're remodeling the showroom", or "This part isn't up and running yet, but we're almost there". If they willingly show you ANYTHING like that, just imagine what they ARE NOT showing you.

Sorry for the rant. That's been building up for a while, I guess.
MOTILAC likes this.

Last edited by MikeSVO; 08-10-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #45 of 46 Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVO View Post
+2

I work for a company that was all Crestron until the owner pissed off the guy we used for programming (*very* good Crestron only guy). So we went Savant because my boss drank the Kool-Aid and believed we could then do all the programming in-house.

That didn't work out.

I went to Savant training and boy does that little happy screen with all the components and the connected lines suck you in! It looks so easy!

Until you need to integrate with legacy equipment (Lutron Interactive, for example).
Until you NEED service and they either A) don't pick up the phone the first 3 times you call, or B) want to charge you a $250 PER CARD diagnostic fee for a locled up AV chassis that has 10 cards in it and is less than a year or so old.
Until you have to install some new Savant piece you've never seen before and realize their documentation isn't included (unlike Crestron, where there's a pretty good manual in nearly every box).
Until you realize that you (the customer) need to pay for an operating license!!! And if you want to upgrade later, you may have to pay again!!!
Until you realize that software updates can make compatability/service a real pain for the installer. Are you using Snow Leopard? Mountain Lion?

Don't get me wrong - many of those things *can* be done with Savant, however NOT after one (or even two) of their training courses. Their stuff is NOT as easy as they made it out to be, in my experience.

And to be fair, I'm certainly not saying its any easier with Crestron. Crestron is no-joke, professional grade stuff. The smartest, most experienced AV people I know are Crestron guys, and they have to be to use that stuff properly.

You want to know what the LAST thing I did before I got to go home for the weekend was? I went to the biggest Savant job our company has done and added a repeater to the living room system because the customers wife hates the interface so much.

But time will be the best judge. I suspect that the same people who fumbled so many of the Crestron installs that left a bad taste in customers mouths will jump on the Savant bandwagon and the results will be no different. As it was said - the equipment isn't as important as the installer.

If you are wondering which system to put in your house, go and look at the installers showroom first, and then try to see one of their residential installs. ACCEPT NO EXCEPTIONS: "We're remodeling the showroom", or "This part isn't up and running yet, but we're almost there". If they willingly show you ANYTHING like that, just imagine what they ARE NOT showing you.

Great Post.

+1!
post #46 of 46 Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVO View Post
+2

That didn't work out.

So true " AV Ninja"
Reply Home Automation