Home Automation recomendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a new home. Met with a professional AV guy last week. He is big into the Elan Home Systems G! solution. Anyone have any experience with Elan or the G! system? What are other recomendations you guys would make? I'm very unfamiliar with what I'm even looking for.. He went over a lot of features but lord have mercy... It was a lot of stuff.

Need to control..

HVAC
Security
Irrigation
AV distribution
Lighting
What else can I look for it to control??

Any suggestions as far as other Home Automation systems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Elan g! is a very good mid priced system.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 10
Élan g looks very similar to control 4.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPlumley6 View Post

Building a new home. Met with a professional AV guy last week. He is big into the Elan Home Systems G! solution. Anyone have any experience with Elan or the G! system? What are other recomendations you guys would make?
Need to control..
HVAC
Security
Irrigation
AV distribution
Lighting
Any suggestions as far as other Home Automation systems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

So, as a professional system architect, there are lots of recommendations however the right solution is based on a lot of factors.

Whether it be Élan, AMX, Crestron, Control4, Prodigy, Savant, etc. All of them can do; to various levels; what you've described.

The questions tend to come when you talk Automation vs control, your needs for today, your possible wants for tomorrow... Are you really more interested in Home entertainment... Are you in need of an integrated system or simply a way of controlling all the things you want from your iPad... Do you have a sense of cost to get what you want & if so, will you need to do things in stages to manage cost... Do you want a more personalized solution than what something like Élan or Control4 can deliver... Android or Apple... Or both... Yeah, lots of important questions...

...From there, the size of the home, construction method, number of devices within each subsystem, etc. Are all very important things which must be considered before a professional can HONESTLY suggest the right solution for you.

Bottom line is contrary to what many AV companies want you to believe, there is not always a single solution that fits all the needs... Exception perhaps being when cost is not a a big part of the decision.

I think you made a good decision to reach out here for some 3rd party advice... Not to just jump at whatever the Control4 guy was pimping. There are a lot of smart people on this forum (as well as lots of people who have aspirations of being smart).

That said, remember that most here are end users, not professional Integration Consultants. This in no way means they dont have the smarts to help you, plenty of these weekend warriors know more about system design than many integrators. It does however mean their recommendations are often based on a very limited product/system knowledge ( typically only their own systems), and while all of us here have th best of intentions, we tend to often times make your decision more difficult do to info overload.

If we don't communicate again, the best advice I can give you is have someone like myself assist with creating a system spec based on YOUR needs which they help identify.

I'd love to chat with you about some specifics on your project. Afterwards, I'll send you a system design guide which if nothing else will help you understand what your own needs really are.

I don't subscribe to the threads due to email overload. It is best to send me a private message through AVS forum or link to my web site or Facebook page to shoot me a message.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPlumley6 View Post

Building a new home. Met with a professional AV guy last week. He is big into the Elan Home Systems G! solution. Anyone have any experience with Elan or the G! system? What are other recomendations you guys would make? I'm very unfamiliar with what I'm even looking for.. He went over a lot of features but lord have mercy... It was a lot of stuff.
Need to control..
HVAC
Security
Irrigation
AV distribution
Lighting

Every automation product on the market can handle the stuff you listed above. How many zones and what is the budget? This is what matters up front when trying to choose a product and plan your system. Once your budget and wish list have met each other your integrators can offer products that are best matched for the application.

Keep in mind that most integrators have 1 product that they use. They dont carry everything. So the Savant guy will tell you how great savant is and the crestron guy will tell you how great crestron is and the elan guy will tell you how great elan is and so on and so forth. ANY product will work. Just make sure your wish list is possible and ask to see proof that they can do what they say they can do. Ask to see a previous project. Test drive the remotes and touchpanels to make sure things work properly and intuitively. Ask to see the racks to make sure they are neat and easy to service.

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Liked: 14
We use Control4 for all music 11 zones and it controls all AV...

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page