Home Security Cameras - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already have a server for my home running windows home server, i'm looking for a way to get some security cameras that will connect to it and some software to run on it for the cameras. I'm looking for a few out door cameras to be placed by doors, and also a few small/hidden cameras to be placed over looking the back yard (i have a lot of windows on the back of my house and have it lit up with lights at night so no need for NV there, but was thinking of hiding a camera over looking that area so that someone trying to break in would not see the camera there).

so my question is, what are some outdoor and small/hidden cameras that can be plugged into a computer somehow and some software for windows home server to run them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have installed a few Foscam FI8918W cameras. They are only 640x480 but have 2-way audio, wireless and wired network, and are only about $85 each. There are numerous apps for mobile devices to view them as well.
ERIC
post #3 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Check out this post on the new Netgear Vuezone cameras. Completely wireless including power. Will do what you want very easily.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425661/netgear-vuezone-completely-wireless-ip-cameras

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 11
+1 on the Foscam. They have a newer version out that is a step up from the FI8918W, it is the FI8910W and only costs a few dollars more. It is a wireless IP camera so all you need is a plug in, no running video wires to a computer or server. Foscam also has outdoor versions, check their website.

I'm using one now as a baby monitor in my daughters bedroom but plan on expanding to add a few more around the house. They work very well for the price but I am sure you can get higher quality video but you will be spending much much more per camera. I would call the Foscam a solid entry level camera that has great bang for the buck.

I know aobut a dozen people who have gone out and purchased a Foscam after seeing mine.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilbrent View Post

+1 on the Foscam. They have a newer version out that is a step up from the FI8918W, it is the FI8910W and only costs a few dollars more. It is a wireless IP camera so all you need is a plug in, no running video wires to a computer or server. Foscam also has outdoor versions, check their website.
I'm using one now as a baby monitor in my daughters bedroom but plan on expanding to add a few more around the house. They work very well for the price but I am sure you can get higher quality video but you will be spending much much more per camera. I would call the Foscam a solid entry level camera that has great bang for the buck.
I know aobut a dozen people who have gone out and purchased a Foscam after seeing mine.

Another +1 for the Foscam. Fairly cheap. I started with 1 and have since added 2 more with plans for 2 or 3 additional ones as my home automation/security project progresses.

For the money they are hard to beat. Of the 3 I have, 1 has had its wireless connection break. I use it in my living room where it is placed near a cat6 network connection. The other 2 are connected wirelessly and work like a charm.

Being able to have a video feed of my young children while I'm in the basement watching a movie late at night is a comfort and worth twice the expense, but these cameras do the job.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #6 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Have you used any of their outdoor cameras?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Have you used any of their outdoor cameras?

I have not used it myself. Check Amazon for "Foscam outdoor" and you can see reviews which some are not too good but I would not think twice about it being it is a Foscam.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I have not used it myself. Check Amazon for "Foscam outdoor" and you can see reviews which some are not too good but I would not think twice about it being it is a Foscam.

Yeah, I'd been looking at them on Amazon, but was just curious if anyone here had used one. Thanks though smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I just installed a Q-See camera system which I've been very happy with. It's not PZT and it's wired, but remote access was a breeze to setup and didn't require any additional software other than a browser add-on for use with Windows 7 or Mac 10.8. I do have a neighbor who just purchased a Foscam but is having a very hard time setting it up for remote use. Does anyone have any pointers I can give him to help him get setup an going. It works just fine on his LAN.

Forgot to add. He has the Foscam FI8910W.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

That is one of the biggest issues with Foscam, it is not very easy to set up for remote viewing on the web. I had to get my (much more) computer savvy brother to come set mine up. It has something to do with opening up ports on your router and assigning it to the correct one.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 10
You can keep the Home Security Cameras protected by placing them in a weather proof protective casing. This casing will not only protect them from the heat of the sun, rain or snow, but it will also protect the cameras from tampering by intruders or vandals.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page