Basic Home Automation via Nightstand Tablet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pretty modest Home Automation goal.
I want a nightstand, tablet style device that can control the lights and thermostat of my apartment. I would like this tablet to also double as an alarm clock. I need to be able to turn the brightness of the screen down to 0% with a simple touch.

I rent this apartment, so I am looking to be as minimally invasive as possible. Room for expansion and new features would be great, although not a top priority with this project.

I know nothing about Home Automation so even a basic tutorial about how it works would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Depending on your level of experience and motivation, you may want to take a look at the Chumby/Sony Dash/Insignia Infocast. I think you'd need a 2nd system for the lights and thermostat, e.g. Micasaverde Vera Z-Wave controller.

An iTouch in a dock may work too, for more money and less work, in place of the Chumby, with the Vera.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I actually have a Sony Dash. Thanks for pointing me towards the Vera, that seems to be a viable option.
I am still fuzzy on the basics of Home Automation. Let's say I got a VeraLite and controlled it via a tablet. What hardware would I need to automate my lights, which are currently controlled by in-wall dimmers. I see Vera recommends Z-Wave, but I am still a little fuzzy on what is required.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Micasaverde has a forum. Not sure how much programming will be required to use the Sony Dash as a frontend for Vera.

With Z-wave switches, you basically swap a Z-wave switch for a standard switch. They can move with you when you move out, if you think you might have a need for them down the road.

Micasaverde offers controllers which interface with z-wave devices like switches/dimmers, door locks, and thermostats.

Micasaverde forum: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3734.msg18330.html#msg18330

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

What would it take to be able to control X-10, RF technology with IR technology such as the Harmony One or Harmony Link?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 PM

post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 AM

If you want to go Insteon and start slow, this may be a cheaper starting point:
http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/SmartLinc-INSTEON-Central-Controller/p.aspx

As with zwave you install switches or outlets that are compatible.

The ISY is a much nicer solution, and makes programming easier, but may be overkill
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page