IP controlled automation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am looking for a WIFI controlled IP light switch. Something like Luminode but without the learning jazz. Google promised to enter this market about a year ago but still have not introduced a product.

So far I have found several possibilities.

A relay type device http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/ that can switch 110V AC.

The Good

Web Controlled

The Bad

Bulky and inconvenient form factor. requires CAT cable

Global Cache'

The Good

WIFI Controlled

The Bad

Bulky inconvenient form factor. Switches low voltage so it would need to control an external relay for 110V AC.

Belkin Wemo

The Good

Wifi controlled. iOS software

The Bad

No Android support. Inconvenient form factor. Rumored to be unreliable - looses connection.

That’s all I have so far. Any suggestions for IP controlled home automation will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
How about Lutron RA2? RF communication from controller to dimmer, wifi communication to controller. Nice looking, high quality. Controller is plugged into an outlet inside a cabinet or closet, or perhaps sitting on a microwave oven.

Not too sure you'd want a dimmer with an IP address. Dedicated RF network is better.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

This pdf white paper/marketing piece from Lutron explains why a dedicated RF network has its advantages.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lutron.com%2FCaseStudyPDF%2FClear%2520Connect%2520Technology%2520whitepaper.pdf&ei=QqI6UIrZBKaK7AG8iID4AQ&usg=AFQjCNHxQaZQdYaBElzkO0uD_kPTIiTc9g

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
I would use Lutron as well, since it is IP controlable, scalable and has working control apps and web control.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Pretty much every automated switch can be connected to the network via some kind of gateway. Lutron is just too expensive and dealer-centric. There are options at < $50 per switch and even that seems pricey when you think of the other technology $50 can buy.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Lutron RA2 is 'dealer centric' because Lutron wants it installed by dealers, and not end users. One of the reasons it's pricey is because their products are made in the US. Additionally, Lutron puts a ton of effort into R&D. Lutron stays ahead of the other manufacturers.

If you want high quality, expect to pay for it. Don't say something is too expensive because YOU don't think it's worth it.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some of their products are made in China and Mexico too. And their intellectual property is one of the reasons competing products are not priced lower already. I'm not arguing against the business decisions, just offering an opinion. A lot of their mainstream products are priced reasonably, but the automated switches are not among them.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 121

Insteon is another option, along with zigbee and zwave.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Lutron also has to pay for 24/7/365 phone tech support, from PA (not India).

post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 11
We use a competing product with Lutrons Radio Ra2, but feel that for what the product does and its use, it is very competatively priced, and IMHO a better choice than power line cariers.
The fact that they have 24/7 tech support is also amazing.

I thought that all Homeworks and RA2 products were made in the US? which are not?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page