What do you recommend for under 10k? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm building a new house in the 4000 sq feet range. I'm not sure exactly what I want to put in automation wise but keeping it under 10k is a priority. Probably my first choice would be a video doorbell that can display at the very least on one receiver though various televisions in the house would be nice (though may take up too much of the budget). Garage door, heating/cooling and lights hooked up to wifi would be nice too but budget budget budget. What do you think is reasonable to spend money on for 10k without blowing it on just one thing instead of a few cheaper things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Pre-wiring. Put enough wire into enough places and you'll be able to build/expand for years to come. Spend time here and over at Cocoontech reading about the various systems and the wiring requirements/options for them.

Then, it's a question of priorities and what you want to accomplish.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Make a detailed list of what you want to accomplish and communicate this with a few local installers/integrators.

Have one you feel comfortable with propose a system design for you segmented into at stages: pre wire, trim out, and equipment install.

Your 10k should at least get you pre-wired for all your wishes and trimmed out for the basics (telephone, network, tv, security, etc.)

Good luck.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
+3 Prewire.

I'd wire most rooms for whole house audio, with category cables to keypad locations, but leave most cables buries behind drywall. Use an AV receiver to supply 4-5 of those zones, with volume controls in those zones. In 3-4 years those VCs will be swapped out for keypads, and zones added.

So, my vote would be for some distributed audio, in addition to the basics - LAN, alarm, 5.1 wiring for the FR, telephone, coax to all possible TV locations.

With speaker and category cables to all possible future zones, and cables in place to other key locations, you'll be set for expansion as budget allows.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page