Cheapest Z-Wave controller? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for the least expensive option out there. I plan on hooking up maybe 4-5 z-wave light switches, and maybe a z-wave door lock. Also, is there any inexpensive way to have IR control of the zwave controller? I plan on doing all installation myself so I'm not looking to go with a "dealer only" product. Thanks for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

What about having control via iphone/android?
post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I would love to know some answers to this as well!
post #4 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 AM

Liked: 11
If ZigBee is OK instead of ZWave (big IF, I know), the ISY-994i Z can do it and it has IR built in. It's the closest solution I can think of, but I'm no expert.

Maybe someone else knows of a version for ZWave.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I've been thinking of taking the Z-Wave plunge myself. I've been eying the MiCaseVerde Vera 3 or the Homeseer Hometroller. But not sure what you consider *cheap*. They are $300 / $500 respectively. eek.gif

I don't mind spending a little bit of dough, but want to make damn sure that it is worth it!

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

I'm reading that Z-wave isn't super-reliable. Apparently it's susceptible to interference. Insteon appears to be more reliable. I have no experience, this is only what I've been reading.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ervin View Post

I'm reading that Z-wave isn't super-reliable. Apparently it's susceptible to interference. Insteon appears to be more reliable. I have no experience, this is only what I've been reading.

I've read the exact opposite. eek.giftongue.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 72
No consumer, non-wired technology is 100%. You can get 100% withoug wiring but you have to pay for what you get, more along the Lutron RadioRA or so. Things like Z-Wave, Insteon, and UPB all may work better or worse for a given person's situation. You can find plenty of folks for whom any of them work fine, and others who curse any given one of them as the Spawn of Satan. Clearly the same technology can't be both, so it's got to be differing conditions on customer premises. Zigbee would probably be seen by most folks as something in between.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #9 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Vera Lite
Cheap Computer w/ Premise or XPL Monkey or other software
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi oapy123,

The GE line of Z-Wave products are pretty affordable, have you considered them? They are all compatible with Zwave door locks and support beaming (very important) and almost all of their controllers are in the $40-$60 range. What do you mean exactly by IR control of the zwave controller? Do you mean IR and Zwave control from one remote? Or do you want to control your zwave lighting via infrared?

Apple/Android control of zwave IS available as well, I will get some apps for you in a couple days when I have more time (on a deadline right now).

Also, I have experience with Insteon, X-10, Z-wave IR and everything Home Theater and low voltage. Dean Roddey is exactly right! I have used all these technologies, personally and professionally for almost 20 years. They all work great, AND they can also really drive you crazy when they don't (and believe me NONE of them are perfect - no matter what anyone says!) If you take the time to learn just a little about how they work, you WILL get the most from your technology.

Anyways, happy to help

Kelly with HA World Online
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oapy123 View Post

I'm looking for the least expensive option out there. I plan on hooking up maybe 4-5 z-wave light switches, and maybe a z-wave door lock. Also, is there any inexpensive way to have IR control of the zwave controller? I plan on doing all installation myself so I'm not looking to go with a "dealer only" product. Thanks for any recommendations.
Sorry, I know this thread is a little out of date. However, our newest Z-Wave controller (HomeTroller Zee) was just released and that's just $199.95 complete with Z-Stick, cables and AC adapter. CEPro article is here: http://www.cepro.com/article/homeseer_debuts_its_smallest_cheapest_home_automation_hub/

HomeSeer Technologies

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page