How do you get status feedback on IR devices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For instance a TV or cable box that your only way of controlling is through IR. If you're using an app like OpenRemote or iRule, how does it know for sure the power status? Should you use Insteon outlets that have load detection? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
I think the answer is that, generally, you don't get feedback. You could use something that could measure the current draw to know if a device turned on, but you'd never know if your command actually changed a channel, for example. That's why two-way communication (by rs232 or network) is preferred for many things.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also with Cable/SAT DVR's that go to Standby instead of actually powering off load-detecting may not provide true feedback either..
post #4 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You can use LED sensors sometimes. These can come back to the automation system as a true/false status based on whether an LED is on or off.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #5 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the real reason I'm even asking this is because I'm struggling to find a complete list of devices that are IP or RS232 controlled and if they are...which front end solutions support them in their software. I see various companies claiming to control almost all hardware, but most do not elaborate by which means they control them which makes it difficult to plan ahead in purchasing A/V equipment and committing to a HA solution. I feel a true front-end/interface home automation solution gives feedback status(I believe IP and RS232 can do this). Perhaps I should make a new thread.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
We certainly list all of our supported devices, and nothing that is only controllable by IR is considered a supported device, it's only incidentally supported, and therefore isn't in our list of supported devices. We list the IR device by which other IR devices are controllable, but not the devices controllable by IR, since in theory that is every IR controllable device out there so it's kind of meaningless to try to list them.

I doubt you'll find a complete list anywhere. You just have to look at each category of device you are interested in and then ask/look around to see what the controllable options are out there. Just because something is controllable also doesn't mean it's *well* controllable. Some devices have control protocols, but they are more of an afterthought and don't work so well. Others take it more seriously and have high quality control interfaces.

Devices that exist almost completely for the custom install/automation market will obviously be more likely to have really good control interfaces, but they aren't the only ones.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Committing to a single control solution first is always the better option. If you can narrow it down to 2-3 choices, for a control system, you can usually find devices common to those.

I went with Lutron RA2 for lighting, Denon for AVR, LG for TVs, and Nuvo for distributed audio because they're all relatively popular, and designed for integration.

I have found control manufacturers' forums to be excellent resources. Use what others have used, successfully. Don't be a guinea pig. Do OpenRemote and iRule have forums?

Take CQC as an example. You go research what equipment others have used, on their forum. No brainer.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM

Most A/V gear has switched outlets in the back, I use a small DC transformer aka wallwart to feed the input to a optocoupler and the output is fed into the Adicon Secu16 input for status tracking

Jack of all trades Master of some
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 87
..and URC with the base stations has the ability to sense a video signal as indication that the device is enabled. Works great with DirecTV boxes. Eats up your composite video output but not too many people use those anymore.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

..and URC with the base stations has the ability to sense a video signal as indication that the device is enabled. Works great with DirecTV boxes. Eats up your composite video output but not too many people use those anymore.
RTI and others to this as well. Normally, the power sensing devises are fairly accurate and can be dialed in for sensitivity. One such example is the AMX PCS2. I has dual 120v outlets and separate sensitivity adjustments and contact outputs. I've had great luck with these.

http://www.amx.com/products/PCS2.asp
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page