Simple lighting solution needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finishing my basement and am including a media / HT / living area that is 55' x 18' roughly. One end will be the HT and the other end will be a bar / dining area. I plan on having recessed lighting throughout with some small recessed lights over the screen and maybe some hanging lights over the bar. What i'm looking to do is find a system that is inexpensive that will let me set up 3 scenes to control maybe 4 or 5 zones. I figured I would just have a series of switches with dimmers but would love to just hit one button to change the scene to what's desired. My uncle is an electrician and will be doing all the wiring so I will have a "pro" handling that. Any ideas of an affordable solution? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^ There are a lot of options and the word affordable is a bit vague since that can be different per person. What comes to my mind as affordable is INSTEON, and perhaps Lowes new IRIS system. What I don't see offered with IRIS is way to do lighting scenes but I don't have direct experience with it yet. I am going to setup a simple IRIS system this weekend for a friend.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

^ There are a lot of options and the word affordable is a bit vague since that can be different per person. What comes to my mind as affordable is INSTEON, and perhaps Lowes new IRIS system. What I don't see offered with IRIS is way to do lighting scenes but I don't have direct experience with it yet. I am going to setup a simple IRIS system this weekend for a friend.

Yeah sorry I should of stated I would like to stay under $500. I'm looking into Insteon and it seems reasonable but hard to get the big picture for what all I would need. Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't have direct experience with Insteon, but they say to go with ISY99 out of the gate for a much more reliable hardware solution. I think you have some very good programming capabilities as well. I am thinking of trying Insteon in the same home I installed the IRIS this weekend. The IRIS is a pretty basic cloud based and I use the term lightly home automation system. It doesn't allow you to do any more complex conditional coding and is limited to what the provide with their Magic Rules, for example, When Button Pushed toggle Light Module A. Also for scheduling lights to come on at a certain time there is no lighting scenes/groups and as it is deviced based and not schedule based meaning that a schedule has to be set for each controlling device.

If you go Insteon post your thoughts.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
With insteon, just replace each switch you want to control with a SwitchLinc and replace the most convenient location with a KeypadLinc. Would cost less than $300 to control 5 loads (different switches).

No need for an ISY for that simple of a set up. If you want to be able to control the lighting with a smartphone I would recommend the ISY otherwise that is not needed.

With insteon, there is no need to do special wiring, just have your uncle wire it as if it was going to be a normal room in any house.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page