Do I want UPB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am doing an addition and when all is said and done, the whole house will be renovated. Now is a good time with all the walls open to look at home automation. I only want to control the lights and have whole home audio (5 or 6 zones). I want to be able to control everything with iOS devices. I am a contractor and will be doing the entire reno.

After my initial research I am steering towards UPB. I want this to be wife friendly. It has to work every time and be as easy/fast as switching the lights by hand.

The home audio will be in ceiling/wall speakers in bedrooms, living room and kitchen.

So on to my real question. Will it be acceptable to just have UPB light switches in each room and then iPhones to control it all? Will there be any frustrations with using the system? What should I use to integrate a Home audio into the same system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I have read that the quality of the finish of most UPB switches/dimmers is variable. Order a few to compare. Lots of UPB discussions at cocoontech forums, for you to sift through.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Only lights/whole home audio, or will you someday be wanting to integrate other things like HVAC, security system, access control, etc.?

I use UPB for my entire house, 40+ lights, and use an android phone to remotely control the switches/activate scenes. If you are operating one of the light switches from the room it is instantaneous and identical to how a regular light switch operates. Using the android phone might have a 0.5-1 second lag, but definitely livable.

The big thing, is if you want to integrate lighting together with whole house audio in some sort of unified experience then you'll definitely need a home automation controller. My first thoughts would be an Elk M1 or HAI OmniPro II. don't get me wrong, you probably can find two separate apps to run the lighting/whole house audio separately, but if you need high wife acceptance then the only way to do it will be through some automation system that integrates the lighting/whole house audio into one place.

http://www.quadomated.com/
I am the Quad in Quadomated.   Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page