Converting extron eir files to crestron ir drivers? Or other cheaper way to learn Crestron IR drivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I just started playing with Crestron system recently after picking up a set of AV2 pretty much for free from a local recycling company ($50 bucks with 4 touch screens and some accessories, what a steal.) After begging around for softwares and firmwares, I have just completed the first version of my program. Everything works perfectly except I cannot control those devices with only IR interface as unfortunately an IR learner is not included in the $50 package.

I was using an extron MLC to meet some basic needs and that little wonderful thing comes with a built-in IR receiver for me to learn from remotes. I wonder whether there is a way for me to decode/convert those eir files into crestron IR files so that I can save another $100-$150 getting an original Crestron IR learner.

Alternatively, is there any other walkarounds like using a standard USB-IR receiver/cheaper crestron compatible learners (I think I saw one that is compatible for both crestron and AMX but it also costs more than $100). The pronto choice also seems to be costly. Any info/help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Read through the Crestron yahoo group site, until your head explodes.

You're legally not supposed to have that Crestron programming software. Careful, you may cost someone a job/career.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

And, remotecentral.com has many IR discussions.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I guess there are a lot of things we are not supposed to do, so I think using some softwares that SHOULD have been made available to all customers is definitely not the worst. I am not trying to argue anything, but I think the notion of DIYers without proper training can tarnish Crestron's reputation is quite unfounded. First of all, if they make all the documentations/training materials available online, DIYers can get proper training. Also most people without a good sense of electronics and AV stuffs won't even think of rolling out their own system anyway and prefer paying the integrators to do the job. So I really don't see why Crestron is so afraid of opening up to the DIY market other than trying to maintain a high profit margin.

Also it is rather amusing that Crestron advertises their softwares as easy-to-use when they just want train programmers to use it. Thought that's quite a rare label for programming languages, lol.

Thanks for the remotecentral suggestion, I posted there too.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The world would be full of half-assed Crestron installs if anyone with a finger was allowed to program, professionally.

I understand Crestron's decision very well.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I also understand their decision from the business perspective of profit maximisation, but I tend to get cynical when some people defend Crestron by implying that's for the good of the customers. I believe if anyone really needs hassle-free, professional installations for mission critical applications, they will not hesitate to approach a Crestron integrator. On the other hand, DIYers like to try out and troubleshoot their own systems and make constant modifications to include new equipment, try out new GUI designs and layouts, etc. It would be quite costly for a person of average income to get an integrator to come for every little detail. I think that's two completely different markets and there is no conflict.

Also, dumping used equipment to DIYers is also a more environmentally friendly way than dumping in landfills, isnt it? Talking abt half-assed installations, I think Crestron should minimise that by making their training sessions available for anyone at a less prohibitive cost. $1000 for a basic, 3-day course is definitely too high for most people not intending to get into the trade. Think of gun control, do you prefer encouraging responsible ownership with proper regulation or just keep them out of reach from anyone except those "legally" entitled? I thought this is an American forum lol. The worst you can do with Crestron equipment is perhaps electrifying yourself and set your house on fire and it is highly unlikely, so what's the big deal?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 12
I completely understand Crestron's policy. There enough terrible programmers out there already, adding more (DIYers who decide to "go pro" or "freelance") would be hugely detrimental. I think Crestron already has an image problem with lots of people due to poor installers/programmers.

Personally, I've seen some programs written by CAIPs (authorized independent programmers) that are awful.

Granted, I also disagree with the way Crestron teaches programming in their classes (or at least what I've heard second hand, never really taken a class).

I feel your pain, I know what it's like to be DIY, but I still think its a good call on Crestron's part.

Edit to be helpful: you need some Crestron software called DEAL. If you get that, you can make Crestron IR drivers from the very common pronto .ccf (I think?) format. You can probably find the IR codes you need online in pronto format. If not, I'm not sure how/if possible to take or from a URC Remote Extron controller.

Also: if you can get an authorized partner to sponsor you (at no cost to them, I believe), you can go to the classes for free. Not sure where you got the software from, but that may be an option for you.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page